Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up KSB Major News..

A brand new Website is in the works now for Ken Smith Basses.

Along with the new 'site I am making some new models and re-naming, modifying and merging some others as well. This is all within the Neck-thru models.

After doing some marketing research I noticed that the most popular models are the Elite series and the Black Tiger series. One model version we have made for Japan in the past was nick-named 'White Tiger'. This was basically the reverse of the Black Tiger model in the wood mixing and combinations.

Many of the GN, MS and Elite models sold in the last few years are basically the same wood combinations as used in the Black Tiger models as well as its new sister version, the White Tiger. I have decided to make a combined 'Series' of models called 'The Tiger Series'. These will be available in the same combinations as before with the addition of the 3-pc Maple/Walnut and Walnut/Maple MS series basses we have been making for the last few years. They will be called the 'Standard' Tigers, Black Tiger or White Tiger Standard coded as TNS or WTS. The Black Tiger code has always been in Latin 'Tigre' Negro' aka TN so as not to be confused with out older BT model which stood for Bass/Treble when it first came in in 1981 and now called our Vintage BT shape. Putting the prefix letters TN in reverse in Latin instead of BT has helped to avoid confusion.

There will be the new model name Standard for an MS-like bass, the Pro model name for the current and original Black Tiger and the Elite of the TNE which is only a few years younger than the original TN/Black Tiger models.

Because we are grouping all of the Maple/Walnut and Walnut/Maple models together as a series, 'Chocolate/Vanilla' as I call it generically, they will not be offered in the MS, GN or Elite models as they would be re-directed by name into the Tiger series. Quilted Maple topped basses are not included in this model merger. Walnut and Tiger Maple top/back basses using our other core woods will be available as non-Tiger models where ever they fall within the current new models.

For the GN, MS and EG models that have been separate in the past will now be grouped together as 'The Exotic Series' models as these are not sandwiched with domestic Tiger Maples and Walnuts combined. This series will also have 3 grades as well. The Standard X, Pro X and Elite X, 'X' standing for Exotic. I am adding Exotic to the prefix because the laminated basses are to be made with other body wood combinations that will not include the 'Chocolate/Vanilla' mixed flavors. One exception will be Quilted Maple over Walnut. Same flavor but different figure pattern. The other exception will be the Standard X (formerly MS) which will offer all the solid body materials we have available 'including' Tiger Maple and Black Walnut but not laminated. Just one or the other as solid Body wings as offered in the past.

Also to be added and used in the Tiger Series in the Walnuts is Western/Claro figured Walnuts and in the Maples, our Western, British Columbian and some stocks of other flamed Maples I have collected over the years. These woods range from 10-20 years old since they were cut and dried. Basically, my private stock is coming out of storage. Laminated 5-pc wings in Maple/Maple or Walnut/Walnut or 3-pc Maple/Mahogany or Walnut/Mahogany will fall into the Exotic/X line.

In reviewing my wood usages recently and well as in past reviews over the years, Figured Maples and Walnuts have shown to make up the bulk of the Basses we have made. We are basically (did I say Bass-ic-ly?) a 'Chocolate/Vanilla' Bass body maker. With all of the exotics we have offered over the last 30 years, over 80% of what we get requests for have been some combination of Maple and or Walnut.

To celebrate our success with these two beautiful woods, it's time to give them their own page. Don't you agree?

There are only a few other minor changes to the models but until the the new website is up I will wait to announce them. Prices, if you're wondering will stay for the most part the same with only a few slight increases on some models that reflect our costs.

The biggest change will be the look and ease of navigation of the new Website that Mike is working on. Jon, my older boy is also working with his brother Mike on the modern concepts and the Artist/Musicians pages adding clips and Bio's to those that they can look up.

As far as pictures go for the Basses, I will have to borrow most of them from the current website and place them where they fall model-wise. The 5-pc necks with Bubinga have been replaced by Shedua features within the last year or so. The first 3 White Tiger Elites we are just completing used the last of the Bubinga featured necks we had. Eventually, we will have all new and current pictures of the entire line of Basses. Until then, and it wont be as soon as some would like, please be patient.

I know many of you have questions so ask away. I will do my best to answer them but some information is being kept close to the vest (as they say) until all the ink dries on the new Website.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I know it doesn't change the model of my bass, but under the new modeling regime I'm wondering what it's model would be. I assume it would fall in the Elite X line, but I'm wondering what the actual model number would be if I ordered the same bass now..

It's a fretless BSR4EG, with AAAA quilted maple top, Koa core, and Walnut laminates.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I know it doesn't change the model of my bass, but under the new modeling regime I'm wondering what it's model would be. I assume it would fall in the Elite X line, but I'm wondering what the actual model number would be if I ordered the same bass now..

It's a fretless BSR4EG, with AAAA quilted maple top, Koa core, and Walnut laminates.
Exotic Elite Series. It would be if made new **would still be a BSR4EG.

This is a very good question. What you have does not change but what new model it compares to is nice to know. Most model specs will remain the same. They are some slight changes and additions though. Stay tuned..

Last edited by Ken Smith; 07-24-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: **Change of mind for confusion sake..
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ok..

I just got home after spending the entire day working on the new website layout, bass model listings and descriptions with my son Mike. After spending several hours making up a new price list with new codes and modifying some of the model descriptions on an off-line work copy of the 'site I came to the conclusion that it would NOT be such a good idea to change the names of the Models that everyone already knows.

The website will be a totally new look as I mentioned before and a zillion times easier to navigate. I just feel that doing a 360 with the model names probably wont be in my best interest. So, I went back over the new price list and every model page that I made the changes to and re-coded every bass back to where it was. What aint broke don't need no fixin'!

Ok, so the changes as I mentioned on the Neck-thrus are mainly the Maple/Walnut bodywing combos that will all fall into one of the 3 ranges of Black Tigers or the new White Tiger models. Actually, we have probably made 100s or more basses that would classify as a White Tiger over the years but it was always something else like an MW or GN or BT or EG model. Something with Tiger Top and Back over Walnut core, 3, 5, or 7pc lamination. Now, this combo will have a name of its own within the Tiger Series models.

One model that has not done well from the start has been the MS model. Why? I have no clue at all. This Neck-thru in 3-pc with graphite inlaid and a Morado FB plays and sounds great. I see it as in-between an M, MW or P model bolt-on (depending on the body) and a GN model neck-thru. I see it personally as the answer to a Bolt-on lovers bridge to a neck-thru. It has a mix of both in its feel between the two build styles.

I plan on doing more to promote this model in the coming months. Last year we started offering the MS models with 3-pc laminated wings in figured Walnut mainly from the stock we made for the MW and GN models so in essence, an MS/MW. The figure on them was more like a GN grade rather than a plainer bolt-on body. This is one of the models I will work on and slide it into the Tiger Series models. A Black Tiger Standard model, or White Tiger for the Tiger Maple lovers.

The other model that has been trailing in the last few years are the Custom Bolt-ons we make. There is a history as to how and why we started making them in the first place back in 1990/91 which might be interesting reading. First off, I refer to them as 'Custom' bolt-ons because they are NOT production basses and with then exception of the first batch we made, they have never been.

In 1990, a good year and change into the Burner basses we were importing from Japan (made with some our own woods no doubt), the workers in the shop voiced their opinion that they felt threatened as far as employment goes. I told them this was a lower priced line that we could NOT make here ourselfs and would act as door-opener sales to our handmade basses. We were only making 4s and 5s at the time. Japan was afraid to make the 6s because the necks would be so wide. I assured them that we were making 6s for years with 18mm spacing as opposed to the 16mm Burner spec and without incident. I also assured them that if they followed my design, all would be ok. My foreman of the shop then suggested that WE try and make the 6s here in Pennsylvania in place of Japan so I agreed to try one run of them. The Foreman and I did not see 100% eye to eye and made entirely new body wings instead of using what we had in-stock and used a straight non-tapered hard maple center block that was off-fall from neck production wood. With a tapered center block, the other wings would have worked even better. There were 28 of them and I was going to call them BTBO or BT Bolt-on. While they were in progress I received a call from the wife of Chuck Rainey who had a bass of mine already if not two and asked if I would make a model dedicated to him. I mentioned that I had this bolt-on group in progress and to date was un-named so I would do something. The initials 'CR' became attached to them from which I made a back-up name for the initials, 'Crunch Resonator'. This was incase we started promoting them and Chuck changed his mind. His wife did call me without him knowing and the surprise was not as happy as I would have hoped. Chuck did agree shortly after and did get one of the basses from that first batch of 28.

Shortly after I took over production in the PA shop and made plans to move there eventually. There was so much extra work put into these 28 basses that just didn't have to be. They were 100% the same body wing woods as used on the BT models then which was an Elite of its time. A few necks were done in 5pc but we settled on 3-pc and they all had Graphite bars inlaid as well. The wings were 5pc laminated with good to high figured exotic tops with a lacquer finish as well. I think we did some in gold and some in chrome for cost.

Soon after, I started making 5s and then 4s in the Bolt-ons as well as a simpler solid wing models with an oil finish. This was the easiest to make. The first 28 were done separately between making the necks and the bodies but the tooling was good and so were the neck-to-body joints. I went around personally and fit all 28 to their best mate as far as the fit. They were as tight as they could be.

After that first run we started fitting ONE neck to ONE body regardless of how many were being made. Today our run groups are usually 6 pieces which is good for the time and how many clamps we have as far as doing all for the machining and glue up work. The carving and fitting are one at a time and have been since day one. These are totally hand made basses, one at a time with the exception of glue-ups of the billets and made just as our neck thru models are.

Now that you read all of that (not done just yet), around 10 years ago we reached a peak in our production with 4 people at the benchs carving alone. Half of them on Neck-thrus and half on Bolt-ons. Many of the bolt models made were solid body and took less time to complete over a multi-lam NT. We were averaging 40 basses a month on average and at least 20-30 were bolt-ons at our busiest time then. Since then we have shrunk with the economy and have down sized considerably to cope with the rest of the world in business. This has put nearly a stop in our affordability to make bolt-ons and only do so to order. With overhead much higher in the same building with a greatly reduced staff, our hourly cost is only suitable to make the high end of our line and stay profitable or in business at all. We don't have a 2nd crew doing the lower end models so there goes the savings that we were able to pass along some 10 years ago. All set-up were done the same then regardless of the cost of the bass and I still picked all the body woods so an hour is/was an hour regardless of what we make.

To make an effort to continue the ability to offer bolt-ons with all of what I just laid out here, I have decided to make a model and menu that would work for all those still in love with the sound and feel of a Smith Bolt-on bass. I will offer ONE model BUT it will be a HUGE menu of items. Starting with the M model, solid bodywings/Chrome/3-pc neck, etc. you can al-a-carte that model all the way up to a P or PE if you like. I just shipped a P-Elite to Japan with JJ pickups and as we have to consider costs, it's the same amount of work making one-offs as making a neck-thru. As a matter of fact, the neck-thru models are actually easier. We have it down now after 30 years. Making a center block and routing the neck pocket and making it fit like a glove is no easy task. After a bass is finished, we have to go and fit the neck again as they can swell a little as well. With a Neck-thru we have some extra carving in the back but once glued up, it's a done deal.

So, there will be a Custom Series Bolt-on menu with prices staring with the 'M' series.

To summarize the changes;
-----------------------------
1-All Walnut/Maple sandwiches are in the Tiger Series models forthcoming.

2-The MS with this M/W combination is the now new Standard Tiger model.

3-All of the Bolt-ons will be grouped into one menu for al-a-carte custom ordering. You can even order an 'M' model and have the graphite inlaid if you like. I just finished one for personal use but play mostly double bass so it may hit the inventory list before long. The lacquer model is the same as an Elite neck-thru so becareful in your option choosing. Lacquer is not an option except for an Elite model (They are all handrubbed after finishing and takes well over a day to get the finish lever and that gloss shine.)

Question? Don't be shy. Even I get confused with this stuff.. lol
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jose Bichoff is on a distinguished road
Default Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
...I came to the conclusion that it would NOT be such a good idea to change the names of the Models that everyone already knows.
Well, I think you took the right decision about the names, Ken.

Good luck with the new website, I eagerly await to see it.
These are very good news!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Bichoff View Post
Well, I think you took the right decision about the names, Ken.

Good luck with the new website, I eagerly await to see it.
These are very good news!
A huge weight lifted off my shoulders once I had all the original names back on the test pages. I eagerly await the completion of the new site as well. After it's up, we will still be working on it but my goal is to get it done asap will all the current stuff and old bass pics. In time, we will replace them with new pics of the same and newer models as well.

On the White Tiger Elite 5s we just made with the BT wings we did a few things different. All of the gears on the 5s are the older 3/2 style and we used external straploks instead of the recessed ones as well. Also, they are 7 pc wings with abalone inlays in the FB and logo as well as an Ebony headcap. I am doing the same on the first few BSR shaped WT's just like the BT/Vintage version.

Some newer regular Black Tigers we will make had the matching Walnut head. It is easier to finish them in oil than are the ebony ones do to the oil content. Since we wont be making ant competing looking GN's in the same wood combos anymore we wont need the Ebony heads to make the distinction between the two models, GN or TN in Walnut of Maple.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

I think keeping the model names more in-line with tradition is probably the best. It would have made it more difficult explaining what my bass is comparable to in the current line up.. It'll be nice to still be able to say go look up a BSR Elite-G!

I look forward to the new site, but I'm also a little sad my bass will likely no longer be pictured as an example on your site. I've had a little thread of pride in that for 9 years, but it makes sense to feature pictures of models currently rolling off the shelves.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool no longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I think keeping the model names more in-line with tradition is probably the best. It would have made it more difficult explaining what my bass is comparable to in the current line up.. It'll be nice to still be able to say go look up a BSR Elite-G!

I look forward to the new site, but I'm also a little sad my bass will likely no longer be pictured as an example on your site. I've had a little thread of pride in that for 9 years, but it makes sense to feature pictures of models currently rolling off the shelves.

Which bass is yours? Show me the bass link and where its from. Most pics will be used still for now unless it doesn't match the model.

Some of the Elites and GNs will be Tigers now if they are the maple/walnut mix. The others may be trimmed out or stay depending on the quality of the pic and how current the model is. Most pics are b4 the 18v so it shows the rear switch in the wrong place. The 5s have 3/2 on the site and now they are usually 2/3. Eventually all pics will be replaced to show current models and done differently for the layout. This will take awhile.

People visiting the site also like seeing new things from time to time. Same old same old doesn't do it for everyone.

For codes I have this for now using a 5 as an example;

The Bolt-on series, custom 'a la carte' from the 'M' model and order as you like any feature on the menu; Custom Pro Series, BSR5CP or CR5CP.

Exotic series neck thrus, all wood combinations except maple/walnut combos in 3 models;

BSR5MS or BT5MS (similar as before with the MS) 'Exotic Standard' series.
BSR5GN or BT5G (similar as before with the GN/BT) 'Exotic Pro' series.
BSR5EG or BT5EG (same same.. ) 'Exotic Elite' series.
-------------------------------
Tiger Series Neck-Thru's, now with the White Tiger models in each range. The first model is the MS with 3-pc body like the GN or TN;

5TNS, 5WTS or -V for vintage BT, the WT is the White Tiger Maple over Walnut. The reverse of the Black Tiger. This is the Black or White 'Tiger Standard'.

5TN, 5WT or -V for vintage BT. 'Tiger Pro' series.

5TNE,5WTE or -VE for vintage elite BT. 'Tiger Elite' series.
---------------------------
And the Anniversary 'Fusion Elite' series. For now it is still the 25th model as I have a few caps and plates left to use up. After that, we will see.
-----------------------------------
So, the models and codes are for the most part unchanged. Just the groupings of models have a little added 'Sizzle to the Steak'.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Here it is....

Quote:
Which bass is yours? Show me the bass link and where its from.
Wasn't sure when Bob might be back on the Forum (hope you don't mind me answering, Bob). Anyway, here's the link. It's the Quilted Maple 4EG Fretless (middle pic).

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models...srbtelite.html

Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Wasn't sure when Bob might be back on the Forum (hope you don't mind me answering, Bob). Anyway, here's the link. It's the Quilted Maple 4EG Fretless (middle pic).

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models...srbtelite.html
Also, if I recall correctly from another thread, I think Bob said the core wood on this bass was Koa. I know I haven't seen any Smith's with Koa as the core wood.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Koa Core..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Also, if I recall correctly from another thread, I think Bob said the core wood on this bass was Koa. I know I haven't seen any Smith's with Koa as the core wood.
All of the Koa I have purchased in the past was figured lumber in 4/4 (1") and 8/4 (2") thicknesses. There may have been a couple of pieces with little or no figure on one end of the board. The best way to use that and still make a nice looking bass would be in the Core. I can probably count the Koa Cores we made on one hand or less. I no longer buy Koa. We never had much demand for it in the past and most of the Koa Basses we made were done for stock and sold after.

We have plenty of figured wood in stock and don't need another species. Especially one that costs way more than it's worth.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim got the right one..

The core is Koa. The core actually has a mild flame figure to it as well. It's a beautiful core wood. I've never managed to capture a good picture of it though. It's 4A quilt top, 3A quilt back, Koa core, with walnut laminates.

Ken seemed a little startled when I told him I wanted a Koa core and seemed a little resistant to it. He wanted to know where I heard he would do Koa as a core wood. I said I didn't, it's just what I want. At that point he said it wouldn't be a problem.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
---------------------------
And the Anniversary 'Fusion Elite' series. For now it is still the 25th model as I have a few caps and plates left to use up. After that, we will see.
-----------------------------------
Dear Mr. Smith,

Very good idea to have a new site but Smith is about basses so except the White Tiger nothing is really new. Even the world renowned "Smith wood stock" is becoming shorter in wood choices.
I would like to see the upper-class Smith basses like Fusion Elite given a more visibility, importance and attention, like using the resting, let's say, 25 plates to do a limited run of the last 25 basses of the 25th anniversary series in let's say some more exotic wood combinations (even if you should search much deeper in your wood stock or buying it from specific high end music wood suppliers).
Like in every business of this kind, I think the flagship model gives the visibility and enhance the desire factor so I would really like to see first the "New Flagship Smith Bass" before consuming your precious time with the cheaper bolt-ons or alike.

If I would buy one? Blindly!

Best regards

Last edited by Anton Hasias; 08-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Hasias View Post
Dear Mr. Smith,

Very good idea to have a new site but Smith is about basses so except the White Tiger nothing is really new. Even the world renowned "Smith wood stock" is becoming shorter in wood choices.
I would like to see the upper-class Smith basses like Fusion Elite given a more visibility, importance and attention, like using the resting, let's say, 25 plates to do a limited run of the last 25 basses of the 25th anniversary series in let's say some more exotic wood combinations (even if you should search much deeper in your wood stock or buying it from specific high end music wood suppliers).
Like in every business of this kind, I think the flagship model gives the visibility and enhance the desire factor so I would really like to see first the "New Flagship Smith Bass" before consuming your precious time with the cheaper bolt-ons or alike.

If I would buy one? Blindly!

Best regards
Smiles.. Well, what we make really depends on what you buy! I have plenty of wood in stock but if no one buys it, we don't have the time to spare to make it.

Quote:
Even the world renowned "Smith wood stock" is becoming shorter in wood choices.
The only woods getting dropped for real are woods we don't get requests for. Just an order or two a year for a wood doesn't pay for buying a load of 500-1000 feet of it. I wont live long enough to see it used!

The woods most requested for body woods are Maples, Walunts, Ebony, Cocobolo, Zebra and sometimes Shedua or Imbuia. Bubinga and Morado were rarely requested for Top woods so we mainly used it for Neck strips and features. Both of these are being replaced by Shedua. Koa was more popular 20 - 30 years ago but was also known from being used on cheaper instruments when the wood was cheap. In Acoustic Guitars it's much more popular but still, not a mainstream model. If a wood moves too slow, is priced out of the market or becomes endangered, we look to use what will work in its place. Also, the woods we use are in our stock and sitting for many years. This is an advantage to the tone and feel of a bass as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ~ 'White Tiger' models in progress ~

We have made a few White Tiger Elite models in the last month or so and will continue to make more to photograph and feature on the the website.

There are a few 'Pro' series models as well in stock now but they are still available as the older GN model and price.

I am holding off on re-naming any of the older models with the new model names mainly to keep them available at the current lower price. The new models will have higher figured maple Tops 'included' at about half the up-charge price as compared to the current GN models.

Any GNs or pre-released/named White Tigers with highly figured maple tops are available at the same price they will be when the new model is formerly released. Currently, we have a 4GN listed on the Stock Page with the new White Tiger specs and price which is a savings of $150 than if bought as a GN with a 4a top.

These 'customer friendly' prices will continue to be offered while we transition in to the new models and website.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

Is it possible to add more pictures of the white tiger and White Tiger Elite models?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Is it possible to add more pictures of the white tiger and White Tiger Elite models?
I can only take pics when I have the basses. The new website is in limbo now because Mike is in school with very little time for anything else. If you need to see something specific, email me and I can send pics of basses when I have them. Putting up new pics and pages on the website is much more work. Also, the new site is a different form so I will have extra work transferring everything over. I plan on putting the new pics up there when it does happen.