Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jonathan Stefaniak is on a distinguished road
Question Cherry core bass question.

I am pretty new to Ken Smith basses, and high end bass guitars in general. I have been shopping around for about 2 weeks now. The first KSB I tried was this http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/142648.html. It is a BSR5EGF with a gorgeous walnut top, and cherry Core. I was immediately struck by the sweetness of the tone-especially in the low notes. I later tried three more Ken Smiths (maple core) - a comparably priced neck thru, a much cheaper bolt on model and a four string neck thru. These were all very good instruments as well. I was surprised to discover that these instruments all had prominent overtones in the sound. If I played a low B-flat on the A string, the sustain lasts very long and the body of the bass brings out the D two octaves and a third higher. I am not sure if it was the same on all of Ken Smiths I tried, but it sold me on the importance of tone woods and care in the construction of a bass guitar. The latter 3 instruments I tried all fell short when it came to the lows. None of them had the thick satisfying fundamental on the E and B strings. I know it is hard to describe in words what a mean - the other basses had a harder tone with less fundamental in the lows, and this first bass I tried. I had a couple questions that I was hoping Ken might answer
Is this difference typical for cherry wood or is it just this bass?
Do you make any extra long scale basses-35, 36" I also tested a Carl Thompson with a 36" scale and really liked the extra tension in the strings. I guess you don't, but just thought I'd ask.
Lastly, I just wanted to see if you remember this particular bass in the link- 2008, 7 piece top with a cherry Core, ebony lined fretless fingerboard. It is a fantastic bass and I am really close to buying it. I want to know if is a particularly unusual instrument? Do you feel it is a fair price for this bass?
Thanks!

Last edited by Jonathan Stefaniak; 01-22-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Stefaniak View Post
I am pretty new to Ken Smith basses, and high end bass guitars in general. I have been shopping around for about 2 weeks now. The first KSB I tried was this http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/142648.html. It is a BSR5EGF with a gorgeous walnut top, and cherry Core. I was immediately struck by the sweetness of the tone-especially in the low notes. I later tried three more Ken Smiths (maple core) - a comparably priced neck thru, a much cheaper bolt on model and a four string neck thru. These were all very good instruments as well. I was surprised to discover that these instruments all had prominent overtones in the sound. If I played a low B-flat on the A string, the sustain lasts very long and the body of the bass brings out the D two octaves and a third higher. I am not sure if it was the same on all of Ken Smiths I tried, but it sold me on the importance of tone woods and care in the construction of a bass guitar. The latter 3 instruments I tried all fell short when it came to the lows. None of them had the thick satisfying fundamental on the E and B strings. I know it is hard to describe in words what a mean - the other basses had a harder tone with less fundamental in the lows, and this first bass I tried. I had a couple questions that I was hoping Ken might answer
Is this difference typical for cherry wood or is it just this bass?
Do you make any extra long scale basses-35, 36" I also tested a Carl Thompson with a 36" scale and really liked the extra tension in the strings. I guess you don't, but just thought I'd ask.
Lastly, I just wanted to see if you remember this particular bass in the link- 2008, 7 piece top with a cherry Core, ebony lined fretless fingerboard. It is a fantastic bass and I am really close to buying it. I want to know if is a particularly unusual instrument? Do you feel it is a fair price for this bass?
Thanks!
I don't remember that bass specifically. The Bass you liked had more than one kind of wood that creates the tone. The core is just one of them. The Cherry might help round out the brighter sounding walnut but we used only a small amount of Cherry of the years. I prefer the western maple personally as a core wood over the cherry. 34" scale is what we make since the beginning, sorry. I have no idea what basses sell for in Japan. I sell to the distributor there (Sleek Elite) and he sells to the shops.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I bought the bass yesterday- I guess I could get a comparable instrument from your factory for a bit less money, but my impatience got the better of me. Since no two instruments sound exactly alike (even with the same woods) I figured I should get the one that sounds best in my hands rather than order a new one. I was pleased to learn that electric basses can be built with the sound as the primary goal (not only the look). I had made up a dream bass in my mind that included a spalted maple top and matching headstock... I am glad to have met a few of your basses to remind me that no serious musical instrument maker would use rotten wood. Nice to know electric basses can be made as musical instruments. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Posting Member

Roy Diza is on a distinguished road

I'm sure she's a real beaut, but do you mind please sharing some pics?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Better late than never

Sorry for neglecting request for photos.
Sorry also if the green carpet makes the whole picture green. I am not much of a photographer. These pictures were taken shortly after buying the bass.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/album.php?albumid=45

I have really enjoyed this bass. Thanks again to Ken and company.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Beautiful bass!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

Trevor Lindsey is on a distinguished road

I have a BSR4EG with exhibition grade walnut top and a cherry core. It has been my main studio four string for over 10 years. The cherry does have a deeper tone than any of the maple core basses I have owned, but I feel it is not as strong on lows as a walnut core. I usually like to mix a harder wood like cocobolo with a softer core like walnut or mahogany. This usually gives a solid low end with good clarity and sparkle on the top end. I feel the cherry core is decent for the low E, but for a more solid low B I prefer the walnut core. No matter what, there are always anomalies, and some basses just seem to defy logic. The important thing is it is almost impossible to get a bad sounding Smith bass, no matter what wood it is composed of.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Wood combinations on Smith basses

I agree. Cocobolo top and back with a soft wood, makes for a nice low end with the sparkle in the high freqs. My MD7 has this combination of woods, incredible instrument.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I just ordered a BSR6EG with Cocobolo tops and backs, and Walnut core. I can't wait to get it.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Posting Member

I can't wait to A/B the tone with my Black Tiger 5.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Posting Member

It sounds like the walnut core has a more meatier tone. More grudge.