Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Chinese/Asian

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Junior Posting Member

Sami Ebuka is on a distinguished road
Post New bases: European vs Chinese quality basses

I have noticed recently that quality basses are coming from china. I am thinking of the 2k - 3k range.

How do they compare? how can in some cases the chinese be more expensive than the european basses with similar or better specs on paper?

I am thinking a thomann 33 fully carved vs a christopher 304 hybrid. The romanian thomann is actually a lot cheaper. Can this be right?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

No feedback, anyone?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

The Romanian factories are huge operations which used to be owned by the communist state. The scale of the operations, low cost of labor, and the local availability of lumber keeps prices low. They generally use flat backs on their "carved" basses; this requires about 1/4 the wood needed for a round back. Also, shipping from China is much more costly than shipping from Romania.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
The Romanian factories are huge operations which used to be owned by the communist state. The scale of the operations, low cost of labor, and the local availability of lumber keeps prices low. They generally use flat backs on their "carved" basses; this requires about 1/4 the wood needed for a round back. Also, shipping from China is much more costly than shipping from Romania.

Thanks Arnold, I think I will go with the Cristopher. Neither is the bass of a lifetime, but I think the Christopher looks a little more unique. I am sure they sound similar. First thing when I get it, a visit to the luthier.

I spoke with the luthier and he told me that some factory carved are not that much of a leap forward. He says a well set laminated can also sound good.