Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

ramon ramos is on a distinguished road
Talking smith's with a smith only?

bob, should smith basses alway's be strung with smith taper core's because i'm thinking that no two smith basse's are alike since their hand made and the brass nut is hand shaped to that specific bass? and my other question is by not using smith string's on our smith basse's are we not getting that unique smith tone? that ken is known for. i personally believe that i should only use smith's because ken designed them specificly for the brass nut's and using another string gauge will probably damage the custom scalloped nut. but then if i'm wrong bob do let me know thank's. ramon
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

ken you got me wrong here if you look at the post you'll see that i said that i only believe in using your taper core's on my bass and that using other brand's can probably damage my smith cause the scalloped nut is custom fit and that no two smith's are alike since thier hand made,beside's i love the purple color you selected for their design. i hope you read my post ken and clear me on this one. i did not spend $2200 on my smith and then decide to use non-smith string's no sireee, i'll stick to your brand. thank's ken
Old 04-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

You *can* use other strings, and they will color the sound the way that brand would normally color any bass's tone. That said, I've settled on Smith strings even on my non-Smith basses because, well, they are really good strings and I love compressors.

You're not going to harm the nut or saddles with non-taper-core strings. I've been using smith slicks and compressors on mine for 7 years and neither of those are offered in taper core versions (though i've asked ken for em!)... You may need to resetup the bass for normal strings. Ken would suggest you have the nut and saddles recut if you're not going to use taper cores.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default right on, keep on strummin :]

yes i will definitely stick to using ken smith tapercore's for my 6M i wouldn't have it any other way bob. I also like the royal purple color on the string's it compliment's his basse's appropriately. when i got my smith bass it came with some gold colored string's instead of ken's purple and down here in san diego there's practically no smith dealer's in town and i haven't been able to change them out yet. i'll have to keep searching. thank's bob for your input.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Smith Strings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon ramos View Post
yes i will definitely stick to using ken smith tapercore's for my 6M i wouldn't have it any other way bob. I also like the royal purple color on the string's it compliment's his basse's appropriately. when i got my smith bass it came with some gold colored string's instead of ken's purple and down here in san diego there's practically no smith dealer's in town and i haven't been able to change them out yet. i'll have to keep searching. thank's bob for your input.
We can't force stores to carry our Strings or tell them what to buy if they do. What I always suggest and say is this:

Stores carry less that they used to because of Internet, mail order and super stores. We do not sell to any of the super stores because of their unfair business practices which I wont get into here.

Gas is expensive and so is time. To save time and money, just call and order either directly from us or an on-line dealer like www.juststrings.com We sell to a few other 'Net Stores but JustStrings is the main one that buys and sells the most on-line Strings of ours so it's us or them for ordering.

Also, you will usually save the sales tax as well. We also have This Special on the Forum for Members..
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Craig Courtney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
How often do you guys and gals change your strings and why? What do you look for in your strings as far as tone and feel and at what point to do you feel you need a new set?
I'm still playing the strings that came with my Black Tiger. They are going on 5 weeks. I just ordered 2 sets of medium taper core from you today because my local music store doesn't carry your strings. These strings are just getting to the point of having that *sweet sound* between brand new and when they start to die off and lose their tone.
I'm curious how long these string will hold that sound.
I always change my strings when they start to lose their tone and ability to sustain a note. That's usually right before the feel of the string gets annoying.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool How long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Courtney View Post
I'm curious how long these string will hold that sound? I always change my strings when they start to lose their tone and ability to sustain a note. That's usually right before the feel of the string gets annoying.
Craig,

I think you answered your own question.

This will be different from player to player depending on amount of time playing the strings, style, oils and acids from fingers, cleanliness, on and on I could go.

I find I get the most mileage out of my strings when I store my bass in its case when not playing and most importantly; keeping my hands very clean before I play.

Bottom line: If you have an ear, listen carefully and you'll know when it's time for the change.

Tim B.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Craig Courtney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Craig,

I find I get the most mileage out of my strings when I store my bass in its case when not playing and most importantly; keeping my hands very clean before I play.
Yes Tim,
Sad to say I can relate to clean hands.
I played a "crawfish boil" last weekend and made the mistake of bringing my Smith bass. I don't know if you are familiar with one of or favorite spring rituals down here but the water that you boil the crawfish in can contain anything and everything from lemons to cayenne pepper.
As a result, I was unable to eat any crawfish due to fear of getting cayenne pepper and other "juices" on my hands.
Lesson learned? If I want to eat crawfish, take the Ibanez to the gig and leave my Smith at home.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Courtney View Post

If I want to eat crawfish, take the Ibanez to the gig and leave my Smith at home.
Yeah, or thoroughly clean your hands before you play!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Zdenek Tichota is on a distinguished road
Default String Wash

I use strings for 5-10 gigs than I do string wash http://www.wimpy.cz/English/strings_care.htm
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jeffrey Abbott is on a distinguished road
Default Online Strings Source

I've seen a few posts on other bass forums that recommend www.bassguitarstrings .us. I've not bought from them, but they do offer free shipping on (U.S.) order over $75. At least at one time, they offered a discount to talkbass.com members. Also, they apparently offer all of the Smith Strings catalog. I have no connection to them, just a suggestion for a Smith Strings online source.

Take Care,

Jeff
Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Or......

Or, just contact Ken directly and put your order in.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Ya I buy directly from Ken. They have a special for forum members where if you buy 2 packs of strings the shipping is free or you can get a Smith strings shirt.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind