Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Yankee and Vintage American Basses

Old 04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Junior Posting Member

carlopetro is on a distinguished road
Default George and August Gemunder Question

Just wondering what are the differences between the instruments of George and August Gemunder. Was one a better builder than the other? Are the instruments of one considered more value than the other? Or did they make equal quality of instruments?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool The Gemunders..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlopetro View Post
Just wondering what are the differences between the instruments of George and August Gemunder. Was one a better builder than the other? Are the instruments of one considered more value than the other? Or did they make equal quality of instruments?
There are I think 2 or possibly 3 generations of Gemunders in USA. The elders George I and August Martin Ludwig started in Mass. and moved to NY. The sons and grandsons all born and worked in NY were makers, dealers and importers as well. There are 2 Georges and 2 August's. I am not 100% clear on the 3rd generation as there was August & Sons from 1890 but August M.L died in 1895. Then we have listed August Martin (II) who is the same as the founder of the Firm so if he had sons they become the 3rd generation.

Bows and Violin family instruments were imported by this firm and finished in NY and sold and branded under their name.

Basses by George(I) are rare and only 2 Basses are known to have been made, I have played one of them a few times and know that Bass. This George worked for a time in Paris for Vuillaume. August M.L. came straight from Germany trained by his father who's work is not well known. George I also trained by his father before moving to Paris. I own an August Sr. Bass (now in restoration) and the tone is more Italian sounding than German or Yankee. To me, it looks more like a longish Neapolitan Bass similar to Gagliano and Loveri.

First off is to know which generation of Gemunder you are comparing as the elder Bros. worked together I believe for a time in both Mass and NY but again, the details are sketchy. The Bass by George I is a French model that can pass almost 100% for a Vuillaume and the sound is French as well but good French of the highest order. The Bass I have by August(I) is 100% completely different in every way. The two Basses side by side you would never even dream these makers/brothers were related.

In Violins we have another story as they excelled to the top as makers and dealers, the whole family.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thomas Wolf is on a distinguished road

I have recently examined a George Gemunder bass from 1875. It is a superb instrument in every way, French in style and equal to the best.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wolf View Post
I have recently examined a George Gemunder bass from 1875. It is a superb instrument in every way, French in style and equal to the best.
Supposedly there are only 2 basses made by George. I have played one of them. The other I have seen pictured and looks the same.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Has anybody here read George Gemunder's booklet? I got it as a free Kindle download from Amazon. Quite a diatribe against just about every one else in the violin business, especially his ex-boss Vuillaume. The man had an ego the size of an octobass.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question is this it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Has anybody here read George Gemunder's booklet? I got it as a free Kindle download from Amazon. Quite a diatribe against just about every one else in the violin business, especially his ex-boss Vuillaume. The man had an ego the size of an octobass.
http://www.archive.org/stream/georgg...uiala_djvu.txt
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Towards the end of 1847, when Gemünder had been four years at Vuillaume's, his two[11] brothers, who were in America, invited him to go there, as the interest in and taste for music was improving and they intended to give concerts. Gemünder therefore determined to accept this invitation and left Paris. He arrived in November, at Springfield, Mass., and, meeting his brothers, arrangements for concerts were made with an agent, who engaged several other artists to make up the company. The instrumental quartet consisted of a clarinet, violin, flute and bass guitar. This music made quite a sensation, and the houses were always crowded, yet the Gemünder brothers did not receive anything from the proceeds. They soon comprehended that they had had too much confidence in their agent, and after the lapse of a week they gave up the speculation.

Bass Guitar? in 1847?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/3/6/1/...-h/36147-h.htm
Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool August M.L Gemunder (Sr.), 1858

I have an August Sr. bass that I bought in severe dis-repair nearly 9 years ago. It is near its restoration completion that has taken over 8 years. I will post pictures when I get it hopefully soon.

The Scroll and most of the pegbox is original as well as the top, back and ribs. The back has had a button repair in the back which was re-repaired as well. The Bass looks more like a Neapolitan/German bass. This is an Early USA Gemunder. A twin to this bass is around Boston. The back wood I am told (and maybe the ribs) look like twins between the two basses. The twin that had also been worked on by the same Luthier used the button design to match for this on that had been damaged in earlier repair grafts. These early basses are often un-purfled but the Luther (Jed Kriegel), insisted on Purfling the bass. One of the improvements over the original make this bass has.