Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Michael Wilson Michael Wilson is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-2008
Location: ny
Posts: 65
Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default Ksd

KEN JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN YOU AFTER MAKING SO MANY GREAT BASSES, PUT YOUR NAME ON SUCH A BAD BASS LIKE THE KSD. It is so not your craftsmanship.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,994
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Why?

WHY are you YELLING?

KSD means Ken Smith Design. I am not Fender and the quality of that Bass is very good. Tighter Neck pockets that the first 50 years of Fender. Do you want to know what part of that Bass is KS Designed? Ask nicely!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Michael Wilson Michael Wilson is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-2008
Location: ny
Posts: 65
Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default Not Yelling

Sorry if you feel that i am yelling. Most of the reviews on the Ksd has not been that good. I bought one and it is so far from being a smith bass craftsmanship and playability For many years i have bought and played basses with your logo name and it has been a great ride, but these basses are not even close. Even your lower priced basses are 100% better than the Ksd. The company [Brooklyn Gear] never returns calls, does not help buyers, just bad all around service and that has never been a Ken Smith policy. So my question is why. Not trying to be funny, but if its for the profit gain,thats sad.

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,994
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Yelling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanzbe View Post
Sorry if you feel that i am yelling. Most of the reviews on the Ksd has not been that good. I bought one and it is so far from being a smith bass craftsmanship and playability For many years i have bought and played basses with your logo name and it has been a great ride, but these basses are not even close. Even your lower priced basses are 100% better than the Ksd. The company [Brooklyn Gear] never returns calls, does not help buyers, just bad all around service and that has never been a Ken Smith policy. So my question is why. Not trying to be funny, but if its for the profit gain,thats sad.

Michael
When you type in ALL CAPS like in your initial post, it is considered YELLING. That's why I made that reference. The KSD is a Fender clone, not a cheaper Smith. Try looking at it in that light and then it might make sense to you. I cannot explain why Brooklyn Gear works as they do. It's not my company. I just helped them with the design of this Bass, that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Michael Wilson Michael Wilson is offline
Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-2008
Location: ny
Posts: 65
Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default Ksd

Sorry to hear that you let a company use your name on a product and Brooklyn Gear has such a bad rep. Most people who look to buy the Ksd dont know that you have nothing to do with how the company does business. But they are finding out real fast. Anyway,thanks for the info and keep making great Ken Smith basses.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
George Shippey George Shippey is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 15
George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Default Brooklyn Gear Needs to do Something

Brooklyn Gear does not answer any calls, nor do they say when stocks without defects will be available. Adam Levy said new basses would be shipped out at "the beginning of April 2008" to date none of the dealers have any nor have they no delivery dates.

George Shippey
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,994
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwshippey View Post
Brooklyn Gear does not answer any calls, nor do they say when stocks without defects will be available. Adam Levy said new basses would be shipped out at "the beginning of April 2008" to date none of the dealers have any nor have they no delivery dates.

George Shippey
I have informed Adam levy just now by phone. He will reply shortly with what I think is good news.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Brooklyn Gear Brooklyn Gear is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 09-12-2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 3
Brooklyn Gear is on a distinguished road
Default Basses about to Ship

Mr. Shippey

As you and others have learned through reading my posts and other threads we have had problems with quality control with our last factory. That is why I am switching to a new factory.

I have responded to your emails about when basses were ready to ship with the information given to me by the new factory. I am not releasing basses until I am completely positive that the basses are up to Ken Smith Standards even though Ken Smith only designed these basses.

So when I emailed you in April that the basses were ready to ship that was what the factory stated to me before they were inspected on site by my representatives. They were not ready and that has caused the delay.

To be honest....I would rather be criticized for delaying shipments than releasing an inferior bass guitar.

I do expect the basses to be released by the end of next week from the factory. It will then be another four weeks or so before they arrive in the USA. You do not want to buy a KSD in the UK and want to buy one from another country. That is your right and I respect that.

I hope this answers your concern. My biggest concern is again releasing a bad KSD. I take Ken Smith's reputation very seriously and rather take blame for delays than have a bad bass.

Sincerely
Adam Levy
Brooklyn Gear
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2008, 06:28 PM
George Shippey George Shippey is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 15
George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Default Reviews of KSD Basses

I strongly disagree with bass players who have stated that the KSD bass is a bad product. On the contrary man fusion players/rock players like them because of their vintage sound. They compare very well with Sadowsky basses and F-Clef basses which I have played and cost less which is the reason they are so popular. If you are wanting a more modern sound then naturally you would choose a Ken Smith Burner which has a different tone and color completely because of the woods,scale of the bass and it's electronics. I won't complain any more about the company that distributes them as I heard that they are doing their best to make the bass available as soon as possible and the hold up is with our friends from the far east.

George Shippey
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
George Shippey George Shippey is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 15
George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Default Thanks Ken

Dear Ken
Thanks for asking Adam Levy when the KSD basses will be available, you have assuaged my six month nearly seven months anger and I hope to be a recepient of the bass soon. I disagree that it is a bad bass, I have played one and I was impressed. Some users might have tried to be clever and use the wrong wrench for the truss rod. Do what I do, get a pro to set up your instruments. Though I could I never tamper with my truss-rod.


George Shippey
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Gerry Sivers Gerry Sivers is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-2009
Location: Orange, New Jersey
Posts: 21
Gerry Sivers is on a distinguished road
Default

I just played one of these for the first time last week at Guitar Center over here (they finally got one) and found it to be a good Fender like instrument. It played as well as the American Deluxe 5 that I used to own.
I like the price on these basses because they sound as good as basses costing far more. My only issue is witj the B string sounding "boomy".
The other issue is with the store for not setting up the bass even though they have a "pro" in the store 3 days a week and with people that come in off the street and have a new bass looking dirty within days.
While that bass isn't my cup of tea, it was nice and sold in a week.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Sivers View Post
I just played one of these for the first time last week at Guitar Center over here (they finally got one) and found it to be a good Fender like instrument. It played as well as the American Deluxe 5 that I used to own.
I like the price on these basses because they sound as good as basses costing far more. My only issue is witj the B string sounding "boomy".
The other issue is with the store for not setting up the bass even though they have a "pro" in the store 3 days a week and with people that come in off the street and have a new bass looking dirty within days.
While that bass isn't my cup of tea, it was nice and sold in a week.
Guitar Center is THE LAST place I'd expect to find any bass with a decent set-up and/or with fresh strings: You most likely didn't get a good test drive with the bass because of this.
__________________
Tim Bishop

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Gerry Sivers Gerry Sivers is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-2009
Location: Orange, New Jersey
Posts: 21
Gerry Sivers is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Guitar Center is THE LAST place I'd expect to find any bass with a decent set-up and/or with fresh strings: You most likely didn't get a good test drive with the bass because of this.
Overall, I still liked it. GC is notorious for defiling good instruments. They used to let me go in just to set up the Warwicks.
The clips I've heard of this bass even before trying one out were impressive as well. Like I said, I had more issues with the store than the actual bass.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Bob Faulkner's Avatar
Bob Faulkner Bob Faulkner is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road
Default

It was at a guitar center that I first found a Smith bass, played it, and made the decision to order one. I'm still amazed someone took a 5 string Smith and traded it in at GC.. That bass was beyond awesome and convinced me of the superiority of Smith's in 1 sitting. Mind you that was a real Smith, not a KSD.
__________________
Proud original owner of a 2001 Ken Smith BSR4EG lined fretless.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
It was at a guitar center that I first found a Smith bass, played it, and made the decision to order one. I'm still amazed someone took a 5 string Smith and traded it in at GC.
Yeah, that's unusual, for sure. Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time and in the end it worked out well for you.
__________________
Tim Bishop

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - Ken Smith Basses, LTD. (All Rights Reserved)