Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Yankee and Vintage American Basses

Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road
Default American Bass

Ken,

I was in a southern california violin shop yesterday window shopping and spotted an interesting instrument made by Bryant. The tuning gears were original with the maker's city stamped on them, Lowell, Massechusates. The bass is violin cornered, very english/panormo-like. Needs some minor restoration (open seams & fixing the scroll due to an old school mechanical extension installation), and some tonal adjustments, But this bass is easy to play. Any info on this particular maker ?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Bryant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Ken,

I was in a southern California violin shop yesterday window shopping and spotted an interesting instrument made by Bryant. The tuning gears were original with the maker's city stamped on them, Lowell, Massachusetts. The bass is violin cornered, very English/panormo-like. Needs some minor restoration (open seams & fixing the scroll due to an old school mechanical extension installation), and some tonal adjustments, But this bass is easy to play. Any info on this particular maker ?
Yes, I have heard of him but my books with the listings are in the office. I will look it up tomorrow and post the info.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Yes, I have heard of him but my books with the listings are in the office. I will look it up tomorrow and post the info.
Ok, here we go.. There are 4 Byrant's listed in the Henley book but 9 of them listed in the Wenberg book of American makers. There is a good reason why this name stuck out in my head. When I opened my book I saw a red dot next to the name .O.H. Bryant.. bingo.. HE repaired my Prescott in 1941 and left his label in the Bass. His younger brother George worked in Lowell, Mass. from 1883-1915.

Now, I want to caution you about buying a Bass with a Yankee label from this vintage. Why, because the Gemunder's (2nd generation) had already started in New York (after August Snr. and George Snr. moved from mass to NY) and started already importing instruments from Germany. They made them as well but this practice started at the turn of the century if not earlier. So, not every Bass or fiddle marked as Yankee was made in New England. Some yes, but many imported 'in the white' or whole and sold as a homeland product.

This Bass from Lowell is George E. Bryant, brother of Ole H. Bryant and sons of Charles Henry Bryant.