Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 10-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road
Default Starting a DB Project

In advance I have to thank you all for all the help that I’ve being getting from this here and there… I’m in the process of planning my first acoustic build, with limited resources and experience (Sound like a great combination), and ¾ DB, carved top and back, may be a hybrid… here is my initial development plan:

1-Buy a good book “So ... You Want To Build a Double Bass by Peter Chandler”

2-Get a workshop on making an acoustic guitar, lets say I do live in Atlanta Ga, don’t want to spend a fortune “Woodcraft” have a $600 workshop for that.

3-Get an DB beyond repair, I figured is somebody have a shop they may have a DB that is in un-reparable and get it for a good price (ANY ONE OUT THERE)

4. USE SPRUCE for the top and MAPLE for the back

5. I have no clue just yet

So what do you think about my super plan?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Ruben, I just don't know where to start...I agree with number 4.

I totally
disagree with number 3---I speak for only me when I say that there is no bass that is "un-reparable" if most of the pieces are there and they have been kept dry.

Number 5---if you meant to say glue-it's too early for that, but use mostly hide glue-if you mean clue, then I would hold off on doing anything.

Number 2- are you wanting to make a bass or a guitar? If you want to make a bass, any learning experience will help. To get to the point where you are ready to make a double bass, you will , most likely, have to spend a small fortune in time and money.

Number 1- books can be helpful, but a mentor would be good too.

When I think of what it takes to go from nothing to building a double bass, I sorta feel like I'm having the early signs of a stroke. I think most of us start out changing our own bridge and develope a passion for working on instruments. I'll just share my journey since I am close to the point of making my first bass. I began by changing my strings, bridge, etc over 20 years ago. Then if one of my double basses needed something I would find a book and fix it myself.

About 5 years ago, I got a bass from a luthier who had restored many basses and cellos. He became my mentor in repair and restoration. With what he taught me, the use of several books, and with the help of anyone who would answer my questions, I restored around 15 instruments in the last five years and have set-up and repaired scores of basses as part of my business. I would recommend that you start with a restoration, one that is not too complicated so it won't discourage you.

In the restoration process you will learn about the parts of a bass, the tools needed,etc. After you successfully complete the restoration, then maybe do another one. Eventually, you will work up to trying your hand at making one. I think that my experience is somewhat like most who end up making basses. For me, it has been a timely, and expensive venture, but I love it.

I hope that you make the right decisions along the way. You are starting out correctly by asking a lot of questions and this forum will, I believe, help you to stay on a safe course.

Fair winds and following Seas.
So my plan stink hum?

That's a wise advise, I really haven’t tried to find out a mentor... if u were a little closer I will stop by to bug u a little , but I can give u a call for advise, I really can use some.
On the TB forum one guy suggest a similar approach, buy a beat up ply DB, made a carve top and replace it… that could be a good start, I will have the chance to see first hand how is build, I will do the setup… it may take me closer to a build, I may actually improve the instrument
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Posting Member

[quote=wayne holmes;20553]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
So my plan stink hum?

ha! stink-that's the word I was looking for. Again, Ruben, , I would start out with something not too complicated to restore- It will be better to go from kinda simple to the more complicated. I would get a bass that you would ,at least, have to remove and replace the top. If it needs a neck repair, too, then you are off and running.

My view is that luthiery is an art. We are working with something that will do more than a piece of furniture will do. It will produce music, hopefully, and the purpose of music is to touch the heart. A well made cabinet or bed-frame will not do this, unless there is some pathology present. An art is a skill that you develope by experience, study and observation. Since we are now in the information age, the process is made easier. One thing I have learned is that if you want to do something good, there will always be others who will help you accomplish it.

So, my suggestion is to find a restorable that you will have to do major repairs to but not a complete massive makeover. Once you get the bass, you could put a picture of it on this forum and let the questions begin- your first question could be-where do I start? We will tell you what to do and what tools you will need. For right now, you need to make sure that you have a space and a table to do the work-Don't use the dining room table like I did my first year. The women folk, although quietly supportive, really don't like that. If you have a shop-great-you can make a bass operating table with a 4 by 8 3/4 plywood and saw-horses and then make a cradle to elivate the bass for clamping, etc. You will need about 50 clamps for the top- you can make these yourself and save a lot of money.

This is my opinion and experience. Hopefully others will share theirs.

Good luck Ruben!
I do have a small workshop, I’m a hobbies, so nothing too fancy and I don’t have all the tools, I do have, Stanley chisels (I want better ones), Drill press, 14” bank saw, no table saw but circular saw, a bunch of saws, a bunch of claps (I know the claps that u are saying I will make 50), bench, router, orbital sander, bench planer 5”, few useless gouges that I got from HD, craftsman cordless drill,… I’m thinking on really getting an Jet 10” joint/planner combo only $300, and a bell sander.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Ruben, to be totally honest with you, there is something missing in all this. Can't put my finger on it- do you play the double bass, or any type of violin? I am sure that there are some who might build an airplane, and never fly it, but usally they will know how to fly it-I say- usually.

If you don't play the instrument that you have a passion to build, I would recommend that we back up about a year of double bass lessons. Make sense?

I don't want to superimpose my or anyone's experience onto you, but there is something not connecting in all this. I tried to send you a PM but you have an unlisted one(or whatever)--- this makes it hard to point out these personal impressions that I have and I don't want to offend you, but rather would like to help you.
No Men I don’t take any advise as bad or get offended, u are right, I never owned an DB, and this is part of the problem, yes I do agree I need to buy one, and if I did learn something from talking to you guys… is that I need one… I’m going to be looking for a DB to restore and learn how to play … by the way u can email me to rg3570@att.com

On the other hand I need to start from somewhere and that place is here, asking the pros opinions
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Posting Member

Hey there… its being so long since we havent spoke… what about modifing this Canotto Bass to 41", that's looks like a good staring point
http://www.liutaiomottola.com/instruments/canotto.htm
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

I would suggest forgetting about all those machines for a while; maybe get a few decent quality hand tools and just focus on learning to use and sharpen them. Sharpening is an art all on its own, and without sharp tools nothing gets done...

Quote:
maybe start with a plywood bass to restore.
I dunno Wayne, I tend to think plywood is a whole other can of worms (one that I don't want to deal with, generally); there are lots of cheap broken basses out there these days that are still made from solid wood and could make a good project...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I would suggest forgetting about all those machines for a while; maybe get a few decent quality hand tools and just focus on learning to use and sharpen them. Sharpening is an art all on its own, and without sharp tools nothing gets done...

I dunno Wayne, I tend to think plywood is a whole other can of worms (one that I don't want to deal with, generally); there are lots of cheap broken basses out there these days that are still made from solid wood and could make a good project...
I do agree, but jointing and planing wood its very hard by hand. Do u guys do it by hand?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Violin family instruments are traditionally made completely with hand tools. You cannot make a perfect joint directly from a machine; and if you plan to make instruments using hide glue, and that will last for centuries, joints must be perfect. I'm in total agreement with Thomas that you don't need more machinery, but rather hand tools and the skills to sharpen and utilize them. Yes, we luthiers have power tools, but they are only used to save time and sweat, not to do the important work. I hope this is helpful.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Senior Posting Member

Yes of course, it is always raining here. Tis why we all wear wool socks with sandals!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
are we still trying to guide Ruben with his last inquiry about changing the scale length of a bass from 34 to 41?

what Thomas and Arnold say is true, except the part about carved over Ply to start with,IMO but I don't make the connection with Ruben wanting to stretch the neck of a bass.

When I started restoring basses I had a few carved and one plywood. My mentor suggested that I start with the plywood because of the risk involved to do damage; it would be better to damage a cheap plywood rather that a carved that would have the potential of being worth 3 times as much as the ply. It made sense to me and I think that it was very advice. So, I pass it on to Ruben. I realize that not everyone has the same experience.

Thomas-- what machines are you talking about?---is it raining out there?
Ok I got it bad idea....!!! but my idea was to take the construction method of the Canotto (Very simple), and redesign it to an 41" Upright... meaning going back to Auto cad and start from scratch…then when I done with the design I could get it back to you guys for debate… but trust me I am also looking for a upright to restore I haven’t be able to find something to work on, I have make a couple inquires about some DB’s to repair… but unfortunate, I am very limit on what I can buy
Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Posting Member

May be something like this:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2025308543.html
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Well Ruben that one looks very OK to me as a project restoration.

But yes you could make a cannotto/savart design and you don't need autocad to do it. Just scale it up by hand! It would be easier to build than a conventional DB.

However, I suspect that when you have finished, you will regret not having spent more time and money on making a real DB!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

THat doesn't even look like it needs much restoration, just a little work to put it together... maybe a nice project!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oh, and if you're like me, trying to put basses into something like autoCAD is about the biggest waste of time ever! But, I'm no engineer either; I have a scientific calculator but I barely know how to use it... It is interesting, however, to actually measure as many instruments as you can. I always mean to write them down and don't, but still, you get some insights into why things work the way they do that you might otherwise overlook.

Actually, that brings me to another comment - make a point of trying to draw and carve every day - even if it's just sketches and whittling it will help develop your eye, as well as coordination, muscles, sense of proportions, understanding of wood, everything. Plus it forces you to sharpen your tools a lot.

Kind of like how just playing basses and listening to music all the time will make you a better musician, even at times when you're not practicing for hours on end every day.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Posting Member

U guys know anything about this particular DB?

from the picture I cant tell if is a ply or carved top

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2025308543.html

Last edited by Ruben E garcia; 10-26-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

I'd say go have a look at it, if close by... Can't tell from the photos on the ad if it is solid or laminated.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I'd say go have a look at it, if close by... Can't tell from the photos on the ad if it is solid or laminated.
I sent an email to the seller asking about the top...
but about the maker: Curt Wunderlich Detroit. Made in Czechosovakia.. does it ring a bell?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Well Ruben that one looks very OK to me as a project restoration.

But yes you could make a cannotto/savart design and you don't need autocad to do it. Just scale it up by hand! It would be easier to build than a conventional DB.

However, I suspect that when you have finished, you will regret not having spent more time and money on making a real DB!
That’s what I was thinking too… but I was trying to find a project more in line with my skills.
For now it makes more sense to restore, to play, own a DB and then try to build one…
PS… how is the cornerless Castelvecchio doing???, I love the looks of that DB… seems a little less complicated to make that an traditional DB?
Not that I’m trying to make one… at least not yet J
I got really inspired by your project
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

It's going just fine. My best sounding bass. But in fact it was a little harder to make, as the rib garland is not as rigid as a "normal" bass with corners.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
It's going just fine. My best sounding bass. But in fact it was a little harder to make, as the rib garland is not as rigid as a "normal" bass with corners.
That DB is beautifull congrats....
I other news I'm inquiring more info about the Craig list bass, I am waiting for them to answer, seems like a nice one