Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question SWR Working Pro 10 ?

SWR Working Pro 10, who here has tried or has this amp?

I was looking for a small and fairly light weight amp (once again) for my DB which I need a few times a year and would also use it with a Smith bass when needed.

After calling a few guys I know in the business, one local shop mentioned that they had an SWR Working Pro 10 on the floor, brand new and only demoed occasionally in the store. So, I drove down today, listened to him play it and show me what it does, and in minutes I bought it.

Playing around with it here in the shop I see how simple and versatile this little giant is. Small amp with a big sound. The tilt feature is great to have as well. A few guys on the forum here in both the DB & BG sections have mentioned this amp before. I guess I just missed it.

I don't know much about the combo amps on the market today because I haven't shopped for one in a long long time. Having heard this with a Smith bass in the store today (Bass Specialties) and trying it briefly with a DB just now, I am glad I have it. Also, I am sorry I didn't get one 5 or 6 years ago. It would have made life easier.

My EBS Drome 15 is a great amp. Don't get me wrong about that. It is just more than I need in most cases. Way back when the KSD project started with 'Brooklyn Gear', they were also the EBS importer. It was convenient and the amp was and is good. Now, I wanted something smaller and more affordable. Price was a factor as well for me being that I only need it on occasion.

So, if you have any experience with this SWR Working Pro 10, I would like to hear from you again if you posted in the past and I didn't respond.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Schwartz is on a distinguished road

I used one for a few years. Not bad, for a modestly priced bass guitar amp, but it is definitely voiced for bass guitar. I found it tricky to use with string bass - prone to feedback, unappealing high end, etc - and switched to an Acoustic Image.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Schwartz View Post
I used one for a few years. Not bad, for a modestly priced bass guitar amp, but it is definitely voiced for bass guitar. I found it tricky to use with string bass - prone to feedback, unappealing high end, etc - and switched to an Acoustic Image.
I think it might depend on the bass and pickup you use as well as strings. Using an 1890 Lamy 7/8 French Gamba with g,d,a Evah weichs, spiro e and a shadow 2-wing piezo (Underwood style), the sound in my opinion is excellent. Any deeper and it would be muddy on the bottom. Maybe that's my bass. A thin sounding bass acoustically will have a problems with treble in an amp. You can turn the horn/tweeter off and the treble down as well.

By the way, what was the price difference retail between the two amps you had?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Sounded good with the 1890 Lamy (and highly-skilled operator)? No surprise.

My experience with these medium-low amps -- including an all-night demo on the Workman's 10, which was the predecessor to your new baby -- is that most can make a great bass sound nice. Where they often fall down is in making a decent bass sound decent.

I bet your back is thanking you though, Ken.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
Sounded good with the 1890 Lamy (and highly-skilled operator)? No surprise.

My experience with these medium-low amps -- including an all-night demo on the Workman's 10, which was the predecessor to your new baby -- is that most can make a great bass sound nice. Where they often fall down is in making a decent bass sound decent.

I bet your back is thanking you though, Ken.
Sam, this one is 2 years old but brand new, un-sold stock. I am not familiar with the earlier models of this amp. On the weight, it's about 40 lbs.. Much lighter than my EBS 15 but I have wheels in that now. Just lifting it in and out of the car or up and down stairs is a drag. This one moves with half the effort. I still would like something like a luggage carrier to walk with it and type of distance over 20 feet.

At the gig I have in a few weeks, they will provide an amp for me. The SWR Basic Black. With that amp, I usually bring my PAPA because the EQ on the amp is just a bit lacking for what I like. For rehearsals which are at a different locations, I need to bring my own amp or play without one because they only bring the amp to the dress rehearsal the night before the concert.

Last years theme at this pops concert was a Sinatra type singer and that was fun. I had worked with Frank Jr. in '72 and the keyboard player worked with Frank Sr. in the mid '80s so I told the drummer, "just follow us, don't look at the conductor". lol.. but true.

This year it's partially a Rock theme. So far, I only have have the music for 4 pieces; 'Elvis Medley', 'Remembering the Beatles', 'Grease' (5 tunes) and 'Bandstand Boogie'. I can use a Smith bass on a few tunes here and there but the DB is definitely needed. I just have to warm up my speed for the rock stuff. I used to be good at it! I will get the rest of the music in a few days and see where it all falls. A few years ago it was a Night in Vienna, all Viennese music. That was fun for the DB, 3 bass section. This concert is me solo!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Schwartz is on a distinguished road

I was using a no-name German flatback, small-ish 3/4. Various string sets (Obligato, Sprio mittel, Bel Canto, Superflexible) and a Realist. If I turned the amp up more than halfway feedback was a serious problem. I could play lines with infinite sustain using my left hand only, as if I was Carlos Santana.

Of course the Acoustic Image is much more expensive than the SWR. I tried for years to avoid shelling out for a fancy specialized upright bass amp but eventually broke down and don't regret it. I'm glad the SWR is working for you.

I see that, like Sam, my experience was with the Workingman's 10, not the Working Pro. I haven't tried the Pro, maybe it's voiced differently.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 'Working Pro'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Schwartz View Post
I was using a no-name German flatback, small-ish 3/4. Various string sets (Obligato, Sprio mittel, Bel Canto, Superflexible) and a Realist. If I turned the amp up more than halfway feedback was a serious problem. I could play lines with infinite sustain using my left hand only, as if I was Carlos Santana.

Of course the Acoustic Image is much more expensive than the SWR. I tried for years to avoid shelling out for a fancy specialized upright bass amp but eventually broke down and don't regret it. I'm glad the SWR is working for you.

I see that, like Sam, my experience was with the Workingman's 10, not the Working Pro. I haven't tried the Pro, maybe it's voiced differently.
Ok, so that is like the 15 I get to use on these concerts. I think it's the Working Man's 15. I will look at the name of the amp when I do the concert. I had the name 'Basic Black' in my head so I have to look and see what that was then.

I think the Pro as compared to the regular model might very well be the difference. When I called the store, it's just what he happened to have available so I bought it. I have problems with that 15 myself and that's why I bring my PAPA along. Makes a huge difference.

Here's a pic;

Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Posting Member

Joshua Phelps is on a distinguished road
Default Smiths & 10s

These are great little amps for the money unless you have to crank it past 75%, Smith basses sound killer with 10s too. On a side note as far as double bass amps go I had & used the holy grail of db solidstate bass amps (polytone) back in the mid 90s but was only an electric player then & sold it because it's not a great amp for electrics but have since heard one with an upright & the smooth buttery sound is intoxicating. I REALLY wish I had never parted with that amp. 15s & 18s are great for db, but 10s leave alot to be desired.

Cool new amp ken!