Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

bobwall is on a distinguished road

By the way, speaking of Mike Pecanic tailpieces, about 3 years ago I added one of his tailgut cords. Great upgrade, did actually improve the sound.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwall View Post
I don't understand - if I move the bridge towards the tailpiece, changing the length of the string between the tailpiece and the bridge, how is that not changing the afterlength?
So you are saying that your bridge was not sitting in the correct spot or correct angle? If not, you are moving the bridge toward the tailpiece, then you are changing the string length and the relative postion of the soundpost to the bridge.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

bobwall is on a distinguished road

Angle - no movement of the foot. But I don't know that it's about "correct" angle - we're talking about movement of a mm or so, well within the natural movement of the bridge. It's changing the length of the string on both sides of the bridge - adjusting this ratio.

Have you read Chuck Traeger's section on this subject?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwall View Post
Angle - no movement of the foot. But I don't know that it's about "correct" angle - we're talking about movement of a mm or so, well within the natural movement of the bridge. It's changing the length of the string on both sides of the bridge - adjusting this ratio.

Have you read Chuck Traeger's section on this subject?
Most good luthiers go to great effort to get the bottom of the feet to conform as closely as possible to the table. If you tilt the bridge in or out from the angle established by the luthier, the feet are no longer going to have complete contact with the top.

And yes - I have read all sections of Chuck Traeger's book.

Last edited by Bob Branstetter; 03-23-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

Trevor Bortins is on a distinguished road
Default Bridge angle

I'd have to guess that bridge angle, like stated above, is what changed your sound. The bridge likes to tilt as you tune your strings--especially after you change your strings. If you don't have the bridge sitting firmly where it was originally set up (with a good setup), you're going to negatively impact the sound and feel.

I change strings nearly daily from solo to orchestral and back again. If I don't check the bridge assiduously every time I do that (and after I tune a few times), the sound and playability goes WAY down--even if the bridge is only a mm or two off. I left the tiny wax marks on the top of my bass, where my repairman put them, just in case I need to put the bridge back exactly where he knew it should be.

-Trevor
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Default New Tailpiece is wonderful

Hey everyone. Just put an ebony Pecanic on my Morelli and it is fantastic. Took some of the barkiness out of the mid section and my bass feels much better. Mike does great work and they are not expensive at all. I highly suggest that all of you with the means try one of his tailpieces out. Surprise yourself. Best, Adam Linz