Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road
Question Vintage Bottesini Bass Method Book

i am the proud owner of a vintage copy of:
"Complete Method for the Double Bass by Bottesini" printed by Hawkes & Son, 28 Leicester Square W.C., London.

My Question is: How old is this book? Has this book a special collector´s value? If yes; how much will it be worth?

i would be obliged for every kind of answer or comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2853 (Medium).JPG
Views:	447
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1274  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2855 (Medium).JPG
Views:	485
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1275  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2856 (Medium).JPG
Views:	451
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1276  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2857 (Medium).JPG
Views:	471
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1277  
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up date?

Isn't there something about a publish date within the first few pages?

As far as the company goes, Riveire & Hawkes dissolved in 1889 and I assume it became Hawkes & Son at that point. Boosey & Hawkes was formed in 1930. So, without a date in the book I would have to say somewhere in that region.

Bottesini though died in 1889 so it must have been written then. Perhaps the music division was named different than the instrument company. I don't really know.

I googled and just found this;

Founded by Williams Hawkes in 1865 as Hawkes & Son, the company became prosperous by representing music for military bands. Hawkes had been the State Trumpeter to Queen Victoria and after retirement, teamed with French bandmaster Jules Riviere. They provided sheet music for reed and brass bands, manufactured instruments, fittings, and reeds for military bands.

Read more: http://music-history.suite101.com/ar...#ixzz0UqoTHLON

In that case, the book will date from 1865 till 1889 when Bottesini died I guess. If the book was edited by another player like Zimmerman for Simandl then perhaps it dates later but not after 1830 when the name of the company changed. I am just guessing here. The Book is old.. lol
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Isn't there something about a publish date within the first few pages?
unfortunately not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
As far as the company goes, Riveire & Hawkes dissolved in 1889 and I assume it became Hawkes & Son at that point. Boosey & Hawkes was formed in 1930. So, without a date in the book I would have to say somewhere in that region.

Bottesini though died in 1889 so it must have been written then. Perhaps the music division was named different than the instrument company. I don't really know.

I googled and just found this;

Founded by Williams Hawkes in 1865 as Hawkes & Son, the company became prosperous by representing music for military bands. Hawkes had been the State Trumpeter to Queen Victoria and after retirement, teamed with French bandmaster Jules Riviere. They provided sheet music for reed and brass bands, manufactured instruments, fittings, and reeds for military bands.

Read more: http://music-history.suite101.com/ar...#ixzz0UqoTHLON

In that case, the book will date from 1865 till 1889 when Bottesini died I guess. If the book was edited by another player like Zimmerman for Simandl then perhaps it dates later but not after 1830 when the name of the company changed. I am just guessing here. The Book is old.. lol
thanks for the info!

what do you think is it worth?