Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I have only 2 modes. In Mode 0 I think in binary. In mode 1 I think in intervals.

Bob, what is this in response to?
__________________
Tim Bishop

  #42  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Bob Faulkner's Avatar
Bob Faulkner Bob Faulkner is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
I'm sure I can try One of the hardest parts about being a techie is how to cope with non-techies It's all about communication

I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.


My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.
__________________
Proud original owner of a 2001 Ken Smith BSR4EG lined fretless.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
  #43  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Allrighty then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.


My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.

Well, that certainly clears that up. Makes perfect sense now!
__________________
Tim Bishop

  #44  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Mike Smith Mike Smith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 01-19-2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 84
Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.
Very Interesting

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth Good stuff I tell you! Kind of like the saying..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?
__________________
Webmaster/Admin for Ken's Corner and Ken Smith Basses

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
  #45  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Anselm Hauke's Avatar
Anselm Hauke Anselm Hauke is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-05-2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 737
Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?
no problems at the moment, thank you mike . but i didnīt try it again, so i canīt really say if the problems are gone...
  #46  
Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Bob Faulkner's Avatar
Bob Faulkner Bob Faulkner is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
Very Interesting

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth Good stuff I tell you!
What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There's no place like localhost?
__________________
Proud original owner of a 2001 Ken Smith BSR4EG lined fretless.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
  #47  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Mike Smith Mike Smith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 01-19-2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 84
Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?

There's no place like localhost?
The AP-CS subset does not require us to know octal, so, I guess we're not learning it for that reason, were behind as it is, only got couple more months before AP test roles out, we're studying recursive algorithms as of now.

and yes, no place like localhost aka home
__________________
Webmaster/Admin for Ken's Corner and Ken Smith Basses

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
  #48  
Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Thomas Erickson's Avatar
Thomas Erickson Thomas Erickson is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 05-23-2010
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 309
Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Mike, I have Kodak Easy Share. I am sure that it is my lack of know-how, but I can't seem to post my pictures. I can send them via my email, no problem. I am usually directed to change the size. That's where I give up after trying to change the picture size.

I've been thinking about getting another camera, but maybe you can help me from what I said here?thanks, you're the man
I'm not Mike, obviously, but here's an idea - if you use a simple (often free) service like Flickr to host your photos, people can view your sets and choose the sizes that work best for them. Then you don't have to deal with different rules and systems for various forums or whatever.
  #49  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Anselm Hauke's Avatar
Anselm Hauke Anselm Hauke is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-05-2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 737
Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up new favicon

i like the new favicon!
  #50  
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Mike Smith Mike Smith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 01-19-2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 84
Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
i like the new favicon!
I'm glad someone noticed
__________________
Webmaster/Admin for Ken's Corner and Ken Smith Basses

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
  #51  
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Bill Sallee Bill Sallee is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-2010
Location: Richardson, Tx
Posts: 27
Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
Very Interesting



There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?
  #52  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Ken Smith's Avatar
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline
Bassist, Luthier & Admin
 
Join Date: 01-18-2007
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 4,987
Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink hexadecimal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?
Hey, speak English.. please..

Hexa what?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke
i like the new favicon!

(Mike)I'm glad someone noticed
Hey Mike, I noticed as soon as you told me.. lol
  #53  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Mike Smith Mike Smith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 01-19-2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 84
Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?
hah, why do you ask? I had to learn hex/dec/binary conversions in high school comp sci, so I wouldn't say its dead. Unless you're in the computer science field however I don't know where else you would see it.
__________________
Webmaster/Admin for Ken's Corner and Ken Smith Basses

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
  #54  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Bill Sallee Bill Sallee is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-2010
Location: Richardson, Tx
Posts: 27
Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry Mike You Missed It

The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal
  #55  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Mike Smith Mike Smith is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 01-19-2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 84
Mike Smith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal
Yeah, I really didn't give that as much thought as I should have At first I thought you were saying do instead of if.
__________________
Webmaster/Admin for Ken's Corner and Ken Smith Basses

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
  #56  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Cliff Crosby's Avatar
Cliff Crosby Cliff Crosby is offline
Junior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2011
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 3
Cliff Crosby is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help
  #57  
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Tim Bishop's Avatar
Tim Bishop Tim Bishop is offline
Senior Posting Member
 
Join Date: 02-25-2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,428
Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Photobucket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crosby View Post
Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help
The best way to approach this: Sign-up on an image hosting source such as 'Photobucket' (free and very simple). Once you've signed up, upload your photo's into 'Photobucket' and then you will have options of how you want to display them here or elsewhere.

Here is the Photobucket link:

http://photobucket.com/
__________________
Tim Bishop

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ 2007 - Ken Smith Basses, LTD. (All Rights Reserved)