Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Watts is on a distinguished road
Default Wilfer bass price?

Hello Everyone,

I'm living in Montreal and there are two wilfer basses for sale. One is a 1957 and the other one is around the same age (I'm still waiting to find out). They're both going for the same price $12 000 CDN or $11 300 USD. Does this seem like the price is in the right ball park? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Watts
Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

As a follow-up, I'm assuming these are Anton Wilfer basses. And I think they were both bought in Montreal when Anton had his shop here.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Anton?

I was under the impression that they might be Wenzel Wilfer if they are from the '50s. What does the label say? I have seen labels from Anton Wilfer from the 1930's and Wenzel Wilfer (aka WBW) from the '50s and '60s. The name should be on the label as to which was running the shop back then.

I think the Wilfer's although nicely made are not quite as robust as the earlier Pfretzschner/Morelli Basses that were imported. The two high end Wilfer's I owned (Anton 1936 and Wenzel c.1966 or earleir) were Juzek imports with the Wilfer name left intact.

Can you post some pics of the Bass? I might be able to tell if it was a Juzek model or not. As for the price, it seems to be a Retail one and one the high side for a shop Bass unless it is one of the higher grade handmade ones. Unfortunately with these Basses the fancier ones do not necessarily sound better than the plain Jane Juzek models. This is one of the reasons I am cautious of the price.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default wilfer price

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the great information. I'm hoping to be able to take the bass home for a couple of days this weekend (it's a private sale). I tried the bass for a little while and it sounds great, it's a 7/8's so it has a big husky sound. If it all works out, I'll take some pictures and post them. One last thing, as I'm still learning, there are three wilfers (I know about Emannuel and Anton)? On another note; I'm also planning on going down to New York to try a bunch of instruments. Thanks,

Dave Watts
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb If it all works out, I'll take some pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Watts View Post
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the great information. I'm hoping to be able to take the bass home for a couple of days this weekend (it's a private sale). I tried the bass for a little while and it sounds great, it's a 7/8's so it has a big husky sound. If it all works out, I'll take some pictures and post them. One last thing, as I'm still learning, there are three wilfers (I know about Emannuel and Anton)? On another note; I'm also planning on going down to New York to try a bunch of instruments. Thanks,

Dave Watts
The point was to show me the Bass BEFORE you work it out or pay for it so you can get some better advice. I have a few Basses here as well if you get out my way. A lot of Basses in NY. Not many of them to bring home though.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default wilfer bass

Ken,

Sorry I meant I would take the bass and try it for a few days before I would buy it. I know this is a silly 'canadian' question but how far are you from New York?

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool How far from NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Watts View Post
Ken,

Sorry I meant I would take the bass and try it for a few days before I would buy it. I know this is a silly 'canadian' question but how far are you from New York?

Dave
About 90-100 miles depending on from which point. I get into the city in about 2 hours or less depending on traffic. With traffic, a bit more..
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default wilfer bass

Very, very tempting.......I'm going to try and fit it into my trip (it would be great to see the shop). I'll let you know when I'm coming up.

Dave