Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road
Default Hillman from Switzerland

I came across a bass built by a fellow named Hillman when I visited a principal player in one of the orchestras here. At first, it seemed to have a very nondescript appearance. No purfling, no fancy varnish, just plain. But when it was played, it was up to a standard that I've only heard from maybe a Krattenmacher among modern instruments. And on a closer inspection, it became obvious that it was indeed nothng left to chance. The owner told me that Hillman refuses to use ANY electric tools during any part of the process of making a bass, and thus he only makes about one instrument a year. He only makes basses, apart from a cello (which was commissioned by a bass player). The absence of purfling was because he meant that it in practicality makes the top and back smaller, and if that is the case, it only hampers an instrument that is already too small. I think that one's up to discussion, but it's and interesting point, and apparently it's not just the guy beng lazy. The basses are built way up in the mountains, and I think he actually has some dehydration device in his workshop, to keep the wood as dry as possible. And this specimen - from 1997 - hadn't ever had a crack.

I'll try to get some pictures of it someday as well. There is one more - a fiver - in the Winterthur orchestra. It seems like he's going to keep the slow but steady pace, so I guess he'll never get the spread that Pöllmann or even Krattenmacher have - especially as he shuns competitions, as well as any detail that is pleasant for the eye but matters not for the sound - but these are excellent basses, and will become highly priced as time passes by.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Interesting post, Joel. Did your friend say why Mr. Hillmann eschews the use of any electric tools? Does he have some kind of theory that the wood somehow knows what type of tool it's being cut with? I actually heard this theory from a fine instrument-maker in Cremona several years back.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

The use of power tools obviously makes your bass play out of tune. I mean, think about it: When was the last time you heard a bass-player playing out of tune on an instrument which had never been touched by power tools?

Riiiight . . .
Old 10-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
The use of power tools obviously makes your bass play out of tune. I mean, think about it: When was the last time you heard a bass-player playing out of tune on an instrument which had never been touched by power tools?

Riiiight . . .
It is possible that a power tool could stress the wood, thus damaging some of the closer molecules.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
It is possible that a power tool could stress the wood, thus damaging some of the closer molecules.
No, there is no difference between using a sharp hand-powered blade to rip through wood and doing the same using electric power.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
No, there is no difference between using a sharp hand-powered blade to rip through wood and doing the same using electric power.
My house would probably disagree, but there you go.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
My house would probably disagree, but there you go.
Explain, please...?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Explain, please...?
Well, it's really the difference between a house and a home - like Gaia mythology. I used power tools to prepare my house for painting (about five years ago) and did a thorough job. I think I might have hurt the house because the paint blistered badly. Is it possible that my house had become a home and taken on some of the sensitivity of those who live there? Well, Arnold, you did ask.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation huh?

Quote:
Well, it's really the difference between a house and a home - like Gaia mythology. I used power tools to prepare my house for painting (about five years ago) and did a thorough job. I think I might have hurt the house because the paint blistered badly. Is it possible that my house had become a home and taken on some of the sensitivity of those who live there? Well, Arnold, you did ask.
What does this have to do with Basses or this thread?

Joel? Any possibility of posting some pics of this Hillman Bass? It would most definitely help pout this thread back on track.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
What does this have to do with Basses or this thread?
ken, i think here is the answer from my good old friend richard:

Quote:
Well, Arnold, you did ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

Joel? Any possibility of posting some pics of this Hillman Bass?
+1!