Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Otto Orraca is on a distinguished road
Default need opinion on a KEN SMITH BSR4J

i need an opinion on this bass KEN SMITH BSR4J, I saw one for $1450. 4 strings and I would like to find out if this bass is good for the price and if this bass is the cheapest of the Ken smith basses.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Opinion?

Opinions will be just that; an opinion. Why? Without seeing the bass, playing it in my hands, ensuring the bass functions, as delivered from Ken, is a difficult opinion to give at this point.

On the other hand, if this bass is in excellent shape without any mods and/or damage, and set-up well FOR YOU, then the price sounds good to me. As far as current production Smith basses; that model would be in the lowest dollar range (price-wise).

Another option would be to locate a Smith Burner Model. This is a discontinued model, however, they pop up on eBay and other sites occasionally: A 4-String Burner in the $800. (excellent/original condition) is a possibility.

Also, the KSD 4's can be found on eBay from time to time in the $400. - $600. range. NOTE: KSD's (Ken Smith Design) are not made by Ken, but designed by him. I believe they can also be purchased new via Brooklyn Gear. See additional info here from Ken. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/KSD/KSDdefault.htm

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool KSD4s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Opinions will be just that; an opinion. Why? Without seeing the bass, playing it in my hands, ensuring the bass functions, as delivered from Ken, is a difficult opinion to give at this point.

On the other hand, if this bass is in excellent shape without any mods and/or damage, and set-up well FOR YOU, then the price sounds good to me. As far as current production Smith basses; that model would be in the lowest dollar range (price-wise).

Another option would be to locate a Smith Burner Model. This is a discontinued model, however, they pop up on eBay and other sites occasionally: A 4-String Burner in the $800. (excellent/original condition) is a possibility.

Also, the KSD 4's can be found on eBay from time to time in the $400. - $600. range. NOTE: KSD's (Ken Smith Design) are not made by Ken, but designed by him. I believe they can also be purchased new via Brooklyn Gear. See additional info here from Ken. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/KSD/KSDdefault.htm

Good luck!
I just happen to have 2 KSD 4-string basses in stock. I was just holding them for walk-ins and have sold quite a few of these locally. I have these two 60s models left and I have them in Hard cases as well. Contact me directly if interested. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/email/email.html
Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I just happen to have 2 KSD 4-string basses in stock. I was just holding them for walk-ins and have sold quite a few of these locally. I have these two 60s models left and I have them in Hard cases as well. Contact me directly if interested. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/email/email.html
Wow! There you go, Otto. Now how's that for service!