Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Smile Happy Days..

Ladies & Gents, I know that most people around these parts and all parts for that matter are experiencing economic difficulties beyond our own control. What I would like to do here in this Thread is the exact opposite of dwelling on this bad situation and focus on the good things that happen from day to day.

Call this the 'Good News' thread with personal stories of success and happy times regardless of how big or small it may seem.

So, to start things off I will post a few personal things to get the ball rolling and maybe set the pace.

This month started off sluggish business wise but in the 3rd week we had some good sales. Not enough to get over the top but a good sign none the less. Then, a few days ago some more orders came in and put us back on track to finish up with a good month as far as the numbers we need to cover expenses and such.

On the personal side, the Big English Gamba bass I waited 5 years to hear a single note from came through its long extensive and expensive restoration a few weeks back but something was not right and the Neck was just too big and chunky for me. On the Neck part I took matters into my own hands knowing that Jeff Bollbach would match up the Heel varnish when he did the new C-Extension for me. The other problem was a Buzz coming from the lower bout Top on the G side near the Tailpiece. Well, Jeff found a few things that were rattled loose and the Buzz is now gone. Tomorrow I will actually pick up the Bass and hear it again but with its thunder providing lows from the new Bollbach Chromatic Extension. This to me is happier news than heaving a good month in the Shop.

So, post some Happy Days here in this Thread and maybe it will help ease the pain as we get through this long slow recession..
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

I am super-happy that I have recovered from a year's excrutiating shoulder pain (without surgery!) and am really making progress getting my golf game back in shape. I hadn't been able to play for a year, and my shoulder had messed up my swing for a couple years. It also had messed with my ability to do strenous work in the shop. Turned out I had been afflicted with a condition called adhesive capsulitis, or frozen shoulder. A big THANK YOU goes out to my physical therapist Angel, who tortured me ruthlessly for four months and got me back on track.

Now then Ken, are you ready to face me on the links?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Despite a lot of messing around from my part, I am admitted to the school of Zürich for an exchange year. That's pretty swell. And I think I've worked just enough to be able to afford it, too... it'll be nice learning to play and all!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road

Its Springtime, (Winter is over).

Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Wise words, Craig!!

Here's why I am happy about that, too:

Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Craig, I don't think there should be a tower in the winter scene, maybe just a shed.
Okay, let's see... find the positive.
I got up and had to take my car out to put some gas in it because my daughter needs it to get to work. It's Sunday. It is bitterly cold and raining. I turned on the wipers, only to find that they wouldn't work.
Tomorrow is a public holiday, but I have to go to work. There will be no heaters on at work and I'll have to drive there without windscreen wipers.
But, the good thing, I watched a documentry film about Beethoven last night and his life seemed harder than mine.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard, you're a real bundle of joy...
Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink wow... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Craig, I don't think there should be a tower in the winter scene, maybe just a shed.
Okay, let's see... find the positive.
I got up and had to take my car out to put some gas in it because my daughter needs it to get to work. It's Sunday. It is bitterly cold and raining. I turned on the wipers, only to find that they wouldn't work.
Tomorrow is a public holiday, but I have to go to work. There will be no heaters on at work and I'll have to drive there without windscreen wipers.
But, the good thing, I watched a documentary film about Beethoven last night and his life seemed harder than mine.
Richard, such a breath of fresh air. That's if you're having trouble breathing..
Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Richard, you're a real bundle of joy...
Arnold, this thread is called 'Happy Days'. I don't think it was in the right spirit for you to use the red angry face.

Ken, I'm an asthmatic in temporary remission.

Monday.
I'm in at work now, writing millions of reports. The door lock on C Block is broken, so I can't get material I need to complete what I must get done.
I've been here since before 8am and am forced to work in the admin block with limited resources. No one else is here, just me. Me and the cold.
However, the good news is that it didn't rain too hard this morning and I was able to get to work with no windscreen wipers. I think I might be on a roll.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 05-31-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: cold hands
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Arnold, this thread is called 'Happy Days'. I don't think it was in the right spirit for you to use the red angry face.
I apologize. Perhaps it was also not in the spirit for you to engage in self-absorbed whining...Ken was trying to nudge people toward looking at things with a positive perspective.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I apologize. Perhaps it was also not in the spirit for you to engage in self-absorbed whining...Ken was trying to nudge people toward looking at things with a positive perspective.
But both my posts had a happy ending. Some people believe that one must experience sadness in order to truely appreciate happiness. Both of my posts ended on a happy note and, I think, were tales of rising above adversity. What is happiness if it cannot be compared to struggle? I'm sure that I managed to uplift quite a few people.
You watch - Ken will post soon to say,
"Well done Richard."
Don't forget, too, how positive I was about Craig's spring tower - it reminded me of The Rite of Spring - pagan fertility rituals, and all that.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Here is my short list of happy:

1) 4 Days of school left!!!!!!!

2) Got my A/C hooked up in the shop!!!! Ready to make some saw dust!!

3) Bought a cordless/rechargeable lawnmower yesterday at Lowes!

4) Going to Ruth Chris' for my wifes birthday Wednesday!

5) Going to bust out the golf clubs for the first time since January... Arnold- if you come down to SC I will gladly take you out on the links!

Whoo-hooo!
Summer here I come!
BG
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Happy week...

Happy week.....

I'm enjoying my new Smith BSR5EG Zebra, WOW!

Cabela's (my home away from home) is having an incredible sidewalk sale: Around 80+% off of top-notch everything. Made a killing on some great buys yesterday.

I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend, however, I may go out and sight in my AR-15's.

The Texas Rangers are in first place as they head to Boston.

My dog's are happy and doing great!

My recent fuel fill-up confirmed 59 MPG.

All in all, I'd say this has been my happy week!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

The wife, the baby and I will be moving in to our new condo in one week. Finally get to enjoy this whole property ownership thing. Quite a big step for us.

Now who wants to help us pay our mortgage?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road
Default Yeah for Tour!

My gig last night provided lodging at a nice hotel. My roommate did not snore, I slept peacefully and awoke to find soft towels and good coffee available.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
The wife, the baby and I will be moving in to our new condo in one week. Finally get to enjoy this whole property ownership thing. Quite a big step for us.

Now who wants to help us pay our mortgage?
Congratulations! Good luck with that mortgage payment help.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Good for you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
My gig last night provided lodging at a nice hotel. My roommate did not snore, I slept peacefully and awoke to find soft towels and good coffee available.
Sounds great. No snoring; good sleep; a good thing!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well, isn't this a happy little thread!
I suppose I'm happy because it's Saturday morning. I know that's not exactly up there with having a new bass or getting a big mortgage, or not snoring in a hotal room but, credit where credit is due, I am working on being happy.

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 06-05-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: trying to be happier
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
Here is my short list of happy:

1) 4 Days of school left!!!!!!!

2) Got my A/C hooked up in the shop!!!! Ready to make some saw dust!!

3) Bought a cordless/rechargeable lawnmower yesterday at Lowes!

4) Going to Ruth Chris' for my wifes birthday Wednesday!

5) Going to bust out the golf clubs for the first time since January... Arnold- if you come down to SC I will gladly take you out on the links!

Whoo-hooo!
Summer here I come!
BG
I'm assuming that Brian's on holiday now. Maybe he needs to update us about his happiness levels. On second thoughts, he's probably out using the lawnmower. Maybe he's mowing the golf course. Oh happy days!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

1. School's out for summer.

2. The lawnmower works beautifully, however we have had 2" of rain in the last two days- so until it dries out, no mowing for me.

3. I have repaired some school instruments- broken necks from clumsy children. (No repair money left, so it's up to me)

4. Haven't hit the golf course yet- too wet. But might make it to the driving range tomorrow.

Wishing I could go to ISB- but, can't get there. I am on staycation this summer.

I would say I am at a 3.5 out of 5 right now... not bad for the first weekend out of school.

BG