Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Classical Primer

Hello All,

I am looking to "get my feet wet", as it were, in the classical music world. I am primarily a jazz bassist, but I am looking to better myself both musically and as a person, by developing an appreciation and understanding of classical music. The only things I know about classical music is what I learned from watching the movie "Amadeus", which I pronounced Ama-doos until fairly recently.

That being said, what are some key albums you classical players would recommend to begin my experience. I don't think it has to be bass-centric or bass features, just the standard repertoire that classical players are expected to be familiar with. As far as the bass is concerned, if my tastes translate from jazz to classical, I'm not really all that into solo work, just good, strong fundamental playing. Also, any literature you could endorse would be lovely.

I know, I ask much, but I figured this would be the best place to get some friendly advice.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well..

All of it is what I suggest, music paper, books and recordings.

2, Find the public or private Classical radio station in your area and tune in to it 24/7 or as much as you can, home, car, work, etc. Get it in your head..

3, JOIN a local Community Orchestra, today or tomorrow. Do not wait.

4, Get a pro Classical bass teacher to help make it all work.

Now, you will be finally approaching all the DB was made to do. Jazz is great, I love it but after avoiding Orchestra work for about 35 years I finally realized what I was missing. Now I get a bit of work here and there playing it in a few orchestras. I don't know how I said 'no' to this in my mind back in my younger years but I did and if I could be 20 again, I would be working to get into an Orchestra and doing it thru College as well.
Do all you can do from what I posted. You will thank me later, over and over again.. Hopefully..
Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

For me it worked in the exact opposite order! Teacher first, then orchestra, then after a while I not only realised what bass playing was about, but what classical music can be!

As for recordings, stick to the ones by the major orchestras. You can find a lot of cheap rubbish if you do a bit of rummaging about at your local used records store, but a recording by a Slovenian student project orchestra really don't hold up to one by the Berlin Phil. If you have a friend with access to a Naxos account, just get started. Naxos used to be infamous for putting out large quantities of records of poor quality, but they appear to have learned their lesson as of late.
But you know, really, classical music is not about the recordings, it's about the concerts. Go to as many as you can. Can be way better than going to the movies. If you don't know how to find a teacher, ask the guys in the pit in the break; if they don't give lessons themselves they'll probably be able to recommend someone.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Al Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Bernstein/Netflix

The recent advice I received was to rent from Netflix (you may find it at your local library or favorite DVD shop)...

L. Bernsteins "Young Persons Concerts" w/ NY Phil.(B&W) ...
my background goes;

rock
jazz
classical...(now)...this series is great for everyone to watch...I believe
there are 9 DVD's w/ 3 concerts per disc.

Good luck with your time & choices...the advice above is very good.

-Al