Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Junior Posting Member

Otto Orraca is on a distinguished road
Default what are the fuction of the pick-ups top screws?

Can some one explain to me what are the functions of the Allen screws in top of the pick ups? Can they be adjusted and what effects in the sound do you get if it get adjusted?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Orraca View Post
Can some one explain to me what are the funtions of the alen screws in top of the pick ups?
These are the 'pole pieces' you may have heard mentioned before. There are two sets on each P/U. These are used to "dial-in" (+/-) output level of each individual string played.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yes....

Quote:
Can they be adjusted and what effects in the sound do you get if it get adjusted?
Yes, they can be adjusted. You can raise or lower them. You may find that you may or may not need to make any adjustment.

However, I find at times that the level of output, from string to string, can be slightly different from the 1st. to the 24th. frets of those strings/notes played.

For example: Say you start on your B string (for a 5-string bass) and play a scale starting with the note C at the 1st. fret of your B string. Play the scale as far up the neck as you like. Then, go to your E string and start with the note F at the 1st. fret of your E string and play the scale as far up the neck as you like.

Do this with each string on your bass. Be consistent with the attack used on each string as you play! While you do this LISTEN carefully for strengths and/or weaknesses of the output level of each string. If you don't hear any, leave it alone.

If you do hear a slight difference, for example, lets say the D string was on the weaker side of the output level you heard. Then you could adjust the individual D-string pole pieces upward (very slight adjustment - say 1/4 to 1/2 turn: Counter-clockwise to raise). By doing this you are moving the magnetic field of the P/U closer to the string being played. You then should hear the output level strength of the D string come closer in-line to the output levels of the other string/notes played.

Conversely, if you find the string/note played is slightly stronger up and down the neck, relative to other strings played, then a downward adjustment (i.e. clockwise to lower) for that strings pole piece can be made. NOTE: Do not attempt to force any pole piece downward beyond where it is seated from the factory (i.e. flush to the top of the P/U).

The results of these adjustments, while slight as they may be, help me achieve a near-perfect to perfect string level output balance up and down the neck. Again, only slight adjustments are necessary to achieve this "dialing-in" (as I call it) procedure.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Also....

I'd also like to add that it is important you have a professional set-up, for your playing style, with fresh strings before making any adjustment to your bass.

With dead or inferior strings and a bad set-up you're already starting at a disadvantage and any adjustment made in this scenario would most likely be a waste of time and money.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-09-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Note....

NOTE: When I do make any adjustments to the pole pieces, I make them with the radius of the fretboard in mind.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up One more thing...

If you are not comfortable making these types of adjustments, locate someone qualified who is.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

I thank you for that information I have a better understanding of them. as Strings goes, what strings would you recomend, I had a set of DR lowriders with a .125 B string that I try on it but I didn't like them they sounded like a can metal, I hear that "clank" sound. I don't like the strings to be too bright.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

What is the problem with the moster cables, I keep hearing they are bad for the input jack?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Bass strings...

Quote:
I thank you for that information I have a better understanding of them. as Strings goes, what strings would you recomend, I had a set of DR lowriders with a .125 B string that I try on it but I didn't like them they sounded like a can metal, I hear that "clank" sound. I don't like the strings to be too bright.
What strings would I recommend? Smith Medium Taper Cores. Here's the link and you can order direct from Ken.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/String...undWoundsMulti

Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Monster Cables?

Quote:
What is the problem with the monster cables, I keep hearing they are bad for the input jack?
Ken has had issues with the Monster Cables wearing out the barrel jacks he uses on his basses. Apparently the slightly larger diameter of the Monster Cable Plug is such that it creates too much stress for the barrel jack spring and wears it out prematurely.

My experience: I've been playing Smith Basses for 10 + years and have owned and played many new and used Smiths. I have NEVER had an issue with Monster Cables. Why is this? Maybe I got lucky? Or, maybe it's because I am very careful with my gear and placement of my bass with cable inserted.

I use straight 1/4 plug ends, so, when I place my Smith on the stand, I make certain the Input Jack area has good clearance from the ground such that the 1/4 straight plug doesn't take a hit and cause additional stress/damage to the barrel jack.

An angled plug at the Input Jack would be something to consider as well.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Strings sound....

Quote:
As Strings goes, what strings would you recomend, I had a set of DR lowriders with a .125 B string that I try on it but I didn't like them they sounded like a can metal, I hear that "clank" sound. I don't like the strings to be too bright.
First and foremost. Make sure your bass is set up for your playing style.

If you are wanting a flatter sound from the brightness you get from steels, maybe you should consider Smith Burners, Slick Rounds or Compressors. Only you know the sound you want to achieve with strings.

Check out all the Smith Bass strings here:

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Strings/default.html

For me, it's Smith Medium Taper Cores: I've experimented with others only to come back to these. Hard to beat.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Nice Axes

I totally agree Tim. What great advice about the pole piece adjustments. I use the "follow" the radius of the fingerboard technique as well.

I also notice that smith strings make most basses sound and play better. In my opinion.

Last edited by Christopher Rhodes; 07-09-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Needed to make the thread content