Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Great old book on line..

A great book to use for practice is now on-line; http://tubascope.files.wordpress.com...lmaj00slam.pdf

The story is that about 35 years ago I was in a music store looking for material to use for practice and/or basic sight-reading. While looking in the Trombone section of books for something different but also in Bass Clef, I found this interesting book by Anton Slama. It was published by Carl Fischer in New York in 1922. The book was listed for Trombone, Tube, Bassoon 'or' String Bass. Titled "66 Etudes in all Major and Minor Keys". The book notes: 'The fingering and string indications are for the String Bass'.

Until recently, I had always assumed the book was for Trombone but could be used for the bass as well because of the fingerings and other notations. In fact, all I see are notations for the Bass. Then one day while researching the internet I learned that Anton Slama was a Bass Player, not a Brass player. It is noted above the first Etude that he is (then) 'Professor, Vienna Conservatory' but does not say 'for Bass'.

Regardless or my lack of understanding who the author was, it IS a Bass book that was shared for other instruments and published by Carl Fischer in 1922 for most Bass Clef instruments with the String bass listed as last. On the last two pages of my book and the back cover are advertisements of several other books for Trombone, but nothing for Bass. All those years, I thought I was playing Trombone music on the Bass only to learn just a few years ago that I had been playing D.bass music that was marketed for the Trombone. I never discussed this book with any of my teachers as I just worked on it by myself and also by that time, I really wasn't studying with anyone at the time.

I was looking thru a pile of music earlier looking for something when I found the book in my closet. I haven't done much with it in the past 30 years as 15 of those, I was retired. Now, I think I will go back and rather than just read thru it, actually practice the bowings as well and approach it as I should of back then if I had known the author was one of the great bass players and teachers, like Simandl, Storch, Hrabe' and Hause. All from the Prague school of playing. I wish I could find more history on him. I did find in a search his book published for Double Bass by Hofmeister.

I think the book was done this was as a business move to sell more books but it would have been nice, at lease for me, to had known then who Anton Slama was. It's a good book so have fun, being that it's on-line and free now. When I got the book back then, the price was $2.00. I think it was worth it.. lol .. I have an original copy I think as the address on the front cover is 'New York 3' (one digit postal code). That was before they were changed to 5-digits so it would have been 10003. I know that exact code because I lived in that area from 1973 - 1991 and that was my zip code. Enjoy.