Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road
Default Frog Damage

I'm in the market for a new bow and I've been playing as many as I can. A few of the bows I've tried, almost all of them have been used, have frog damage ranging from a chip or two to some pretty big cracks with ugly repairs. The sticks are all in good shape, though, which has made a few of these bows contenders. How much does frog damage like this concern you guys?

If I buy a bow with a damaged but functional frog, I expect that I'll have it restored in the future, but will play on it as-is for the time being.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
I'm in the market for a new bow and I've been playing as many as I can. A few of the bows I've tried, almost all of them have been used, have frog damage ranging from a chip or two to some pretty big cracks with ugly repairs. The sticks are all in good shape, though, which has made a few of these bows contenders. How much does frog damage like this concern you guys?

If I buy a bow with a damaged but functional frog, I expect that I'll have it restored in the future, but will play on it as-is for the time being.
Depends on the exact type of damage, where it is on the frog and so on. What price range are you shopping in? I had one bow with some frog chip wear at the bottom edges and one dealer who looked at it said it would not affect its price. That one went for close to 2k. It was a light bow with a small from. If it were more of a normal size and weight, the price would have been at least double.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

The damage ranges from chips and cracks as a result of being dropped to deterioration from extensive use. A few of the bows I've tried belong to retired, or retiring symphony pros, so they have been used quite a lot. I'm shopping in the $3,500-$4,500 range. I was planning to contact you next about what you might have in your inventory.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
The damage ranges from chips and cracks as a result of being dropped to deterioration from extensive use. A few of the bows I've tried belong to retired, or retiring symphony pros, so they have been used quite a lot. I'm shopping in the $3,500-$4,500 range. I was planning to contact you next about what you might have in your inventory.
Contact me when you can. I have a few bows in your range. These are pro level bows. One I have used myself since it was made but now I just use it for practice and play out only with my Lipkins, Fetique or Bryant.