Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 12-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Erik Korte is on a distinguished road
Default Holy Smokes - Not Again

Hi.

I'm looking for my first Bass. The Shen 80 or 100 ply is more or less where I've landed. They used to make these with Gamba corners, but I don't see them listed anymore on their site. Anyone know if they are out there - somewhere?

Also (for fear of starting a newbie "first bass thread") on your forum, do you have any other recommendations in the 2K range?

I'm in Central Virginia, and I've hit Fretwells (which was fun), but $3,200 for a Kay seems nuts. Or am I the nut?

Many thanks & much respect,
Erik
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool $3,200 for a Kay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Korte View Post
Hi.

I'm looking for my first Bass. The Shen 80 or 100 ply is more or less where I've landed. They used to make these with Gamba corners, but I don't see them listed anymore on their site. Anyone know if they are out there - somewhere?

Also (for fear of starting a newbie "first bass thread") on your forum, do you have any other recommendations in the 2K range?

I'm in Central Virginia, and I've hit Fretwells (which was fun), but $3,200 for a Kay seems nuts. Or am I the nut?

Many thanks & much respect,
Erik
Well, that's what the prices on good Kay's are up to these days.

For the lower line new Basses I prefer European over Chinese. I sell the Wultur line and have done well with it. I have in stock from 2007 one Hybrid Euro model. It also comes in the Panormo shape but this one is more like the Corsini. This Bass also has the upgraded varnish as well.

This is what the Euro model looks like since on my webpage I only have the Panormo pictured. I do however have the Euro pictured in the Basic Laminated version which is about $1000 less. The old price for the Hybrid was $2750 and I have just one left.

The Bass I have has a beautiful grained carved Spruce Top and sounds great as well. It just needs a home. Come up and play it, please. You wont be sorry. Also, while you are here, you can play all of the others and get a bit of education on the world of Basses as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Junior Posting Member

Trix Miller is on a distinguished road

It will take a few years of examining lots of basses and listening carefully to your luthier's advice for you to learn how to identify potential issues or necessary upgrades to a bass. What's more, you'll need to learn what correcting those issues will generally cost. It's pretty rare to find an old bass that doesn't need something...

I think first time buyers running renegade are far better off buying a fully set up, new factory instrument like a Shen or the Calin Wulter. You'll have a great tool for learning. And as you mature as a player, you'll know how to identify the sound you want what to look for in an older instrument.

Gas is cheap. Go see some basses!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Junior Posting Member

Erik Korte is on a distinguished road

Decent, ply & Gamba.
Too much to ask?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Gamba?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Korte View Post
Decent, ply & Gamba.
Too much to ask?
If the C bouts are wide enough in length then bowing and missing the corners are not a problem. The Wultur Euro is like that in Ply/Lam or in Hybrid of which I have sold both and carry them as well. I have only the Hybrid at the moment as I just sold the Laminated recently. I gave a lesson the other day to the guy that bought the Laminated model and that Bass sounds very good.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road
Default Road Trip!

If you're in central VA then you are close enough to Ken, and to Mike Shank's shop for that matter, to justify a bass-related trip or two. I've played a handful of basses from Fretwell and I think you would benefit from visits to other shops.

Jeremy