Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Elton is on a distinguished road
Default KSDj705 Pickup Size

Can anyone tell me what the size of the pickups is in the KSDj705? They both appear to be the same size. I would like to replace them and would like to find something that will drop in the current routes.

Thanks...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Sizes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDuzit View Post
Can anyone tell me what the size of the pickups is in the KSDj705? They both appear to be the same size. I would like to replace them and would like to find something that will drop in the current routes.

Thanks...
I believe they are both Neck position PUs. To be sure, take full and exact measurements before purchasing any other pickups to make sure they will fit.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I believe they are both Neck position PUs. To be sure, take full and exact measurements before purchasing any other pickups to make sure they will fit.

Thanks Ken. I have also emailed and called Brooklyn Gear, but to no avail. The length that I measured was 3 and 14/16" which equates to 3.88" if my math is correct.

I haven't found anything that is similar in size to that. I was thinking they were both bridge pickups.

I will keep trying and post my results if I can find any.

Thanks...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool size..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDuzit View Post
Thanks Ken. I have also emailed and called Brooklyn Gear, but to no avail. The length that I measured was 3 and 14/16" which equates to 3.88" if my math is correct.

I haven't found anything that is similar in size to that. I was thinking they were both bridge pickups.

I will keep trying and post my results if I can find any.

Thanks...
That would be 3 7/8th" or 3.875". 3.88 is plenty close.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
That would be 3 7/8th" or 3.875". 3.88 is plenty close.
Can I be measuring right? Some of the replacment pickups that I have been looking at like Bartolini go as long as 3.73". I have not seen anything larger or longer.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thumbs down Brooklyn Gear Support

I must say, I am very disappointed in Brooklyn Gear and their support or lack there of the KSD line. I have called them and emailed them with no return calls or emails. In fairness to Brooklyn Gear, I am also disappointed in the lack of support from the shop I purchased my KSD from. The guy just said order a standard replacement set and it should fit. Not sure what he meant by that statement since a little to no research will tell you there is no "standard" out there unless you modding a Fender.

I would like to think that they would know exactly what the dimensions of the pickups are and it would take them 10 seconds to research and let me know.

Now it's up to trial and error. I will post my findings here once I finally find a set that will fit.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Unhappy oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elton View Post
I must say, I am very disappointed in Brooklyn Gear and their support or lack there of the KSD line. I have called them and emailed them with no return calls or emails. In fairness to Brooklyn Gear, I am also disappointed in the lack of support from the shop I purchased my KSD from. The guy just said order a standard replacement set and it should fit. Not sure what he meant by that statement since a little to no research will tell you there is no "standard" out there unless you modding a Fender.

I would like to think that they would know exactly what the dimensions of the pickups are and it would take them 10 seconds to research and let me know.

Now it's up to trial and error. I will post my findings here once I finally find a set that will fit.
I am sorry for the trouble you are having BG is in the middle of a move as far as their distribution center goes. I just emailed him this link so you can expect some type of reply soon. They are also just back from NAMM a week ago.

As far as dealers go, it is not unusual for them to take money and then either tell you the first thing that's easier for their brain or send you to the manufacturer. Both are wrong as they take your money and are supposed to service you just like a car dealer. This industry sucks for service and I am not afraid to admit it. Most stores are hobbies for lazy or failed musicians and not professional business men. The chains can be just as bad but for different reasons. Either they don't know squat or the can't do anything about it with out an act from congress or.. a little of both. This my friends is the sad sad music products business.

As I said before, the pickups are both Bridge sized Pickups but not all brands measure exactly the same.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks

Ken, I appreciate your support. I have an email to call Adam at Brooklyn Gear. Thank you for taking the time to not only respond, but actually take the initiative to contact BG.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Follow Up

I just wanted to follow up on the pick up size for the KSDj705. I ended up ordering two Bartolini neck pick ups. They required a little routing to get the screw towers to fit, but outside of that they dropped right in. I ordered the 59cbjd pups. Brian at Best Bass Gear was very helpful in determining what I needed.

They sound great and I have always loved how this bass plays and looks.

Thanks...
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Antonio Martinez is on a distinguished road
Default Also...

Nordstrand can make you some custom made pickups for your KSDj705 if you're willing to pay 80 dollars more, I just ordered mine thru BestBassGear.com, Brian was really helpful. They will send you a package so you can send them the pickups and they'll match them exactly to fit in your bass!!
I got the NJ5 single coil which have good punch and growl on them.