Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Posting Member

Allan Todd is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from the isle of wight england

Hi Guy's,

My name is allan & i live in england on the isle of wight, i'm currantly playing in an 80's rock band called little white lies & also have an original funk rock project on the go, i've been playing bass & guitar for around 20 years.
at the moment i'm using a warwick thumb nt6 fretless bass but i'm hopefully in the very near future going to try & find a ken smith 6 string after hearing one a couple of years ago, it sounded awsome & belonged to a guy from another band that was on just before we were, the sound reminded me of my wal custom but with more bite.
so i've come on here & it seems like a cool place to hang & hopefully find out a bit about these fantastic basses.

Allan
Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Allan. I'm sure you'll find out about basses and tons of other stuff. BTW - have you ever had grits at breakfast? If not, check out the "Down Here NZ" thread. You'll find all the details.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Posting Member

Thanks For the welcome Oren, I'm not sure what grits are but i'll check it out
Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Todd View Post
Thanks For the welcome Oren, I'm not sure what grits are but i'll check it out
Grits? Think corn all mashed up and probably a bit gritty. Grits aren't considered Kai down here (NZ).
Welcome aboard Allan.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Allan - don't pay any attention to Richard and his synopsis. He's never even had grits. Take it from me, you'd love them if you ever got to have some. They are a treat of the Southern states. Yankees don't know any more about them than you or Richard, although Richard is getting educated (I think) as we go along. In spite of his lack of the proper respect for grits, Richard is my friend and over all, a pretty good fella.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
Allan - don't pay any attention to Richard and his synopsis. He's never even had grits. Take it from me, you'd love them if you ever got to have some. They are a treat of the Southern states. Yankees don't know any more about them than you or Richard, although Richard is getting educated (I think) as we go along. In spite of his lack of the proper respect for grits, Richard is my friend and over all, a pretty good fella.
Oren, my friend, if you really liked me you'd have used two of those green grinning fellows and written "Lol!" before the first one. This is the custom and, living in a British colony, I am big on customs.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

BF Richard. I guess I'll plead ignorance. I know not the significance or insignificance about the green grinning fellows and Lol!. Please advise. As far as Kustoms, they're another one of my favorite (now)vintage rigs. I played through the rolled and pleated 100 watt head with 2 2-15 cabs throughout the 70s. Great rig. Sadly, the rig was destroyed in a fire about 15 years ago. However, I now have another 100 watter with 1 2-15 cab identical to the '68 rig before it was destroyed. I do love the tuck & roll Kustoms. I was at a guitar show 6 or 8 years ago in Nashville, Tennessee and meet Bud Ross, the original developer and maker of Kustom equipment. In fact, on the earlier rigs, the logo says Kustom by Ross, Inc. What a nice person. Talked with him for 15 minutes or so. So don't forget to tell me about British Kustoms and/or customs. Your choice. Lol! (I think I followed the custom properly) ... Nero, the soon to be hero??
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Allan - you mentioned the bass that you're playing, but I didn't see the amp rig. Care to share that too? Just love to hear about others stuff.

Oren
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Posting Member

Hi Oren,

My bass rig, i'm playing through a trace elliot ah500 head into a trace elliot 4x10+horn & an eden 4x10+horn, the sound & the power through this rig is unbelievable, i use to use trace gear years ago & then i took a couple of years out from playing & sold it all, when i started playing again i fancied something different & bought an eden wt1200 head & two 4x10 cabs but the head didn't seem very powerfull considering it was meant to be 1200watts rms so i bought the trace elliot 500 watt head that i have now & compared them, the eden didn't have even half the power of the trace strange?? so i think i will alway's use trace elliot but only there early stuff, i'm not too sure about the new ones, sound wise the tone i get with the wal or the thumb going through it is kind of a bernard edwards sound but slightly thicker, infact if you listen to a track from a band called "go west" the song is called "call me" thats my sound or very close to it, here is a link to it http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7gW6WcwNirk so now i have to find out what smith bass bass to go for to get that kind of sound.

Allan.

Last edited by Allan Todd; 01-29-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: To add a link
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

Allan - sounds like you've got want you want and what you like. It's always to good hear others opinions on equipment, but in the end, you gots to be happy with it. I've learned that power thing is confusing. Sometimes less is more and more is less. Just gotta do some thumpin. - Oren
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Posting Member

I think it depends on how much headroom the amp allow, power ratings are confusing i agree, i like to have a lot of clarity in my sound as well as depth, i've put a link on my previous post to that track let me know what you think??
What basses & amp are you using & what kind of tone do you get??

Allan.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Well Allan - I collect a lot of vintage rigs and I don't just look at them - I use them too. The stable includes an early '73 Ampeg SVT head, 300 watts RMS tube, with the original 2 8-10 square back cabs. I got this rig from the originally owner and at one time he played in Peter Frampton's band. Also another '73 Ampeg 8-10 slant back cab. The square backs were some of the last of that style and the slant back is on of the first of that style, production numbers date to just a few weeks apart. Also another Ampeg rig from 1991 called SVT Classic. This one is the SS head, 350 watts RMS, and the cab is a somewhat rare slant back with a 4-10/1-15 configuration. The SVTs are powerful and a little more top and bottom deals. Also a Sunn Coliseum 300 SS head, 300 watts RMS with 2 folded horn cabs with 1-18 Cerwin Vega in each. These have thunderous bottom. Also 2 Acoustic Control Corporation 371 rigs from the mid 70s. These consist of the 370 SS head, 325 watts RMS and 301 cab, together called a 371. The 301 cabs are the fridge size like the Ampegs with a folded horn design 1-18 Cerwin Vega in each. The Acoustics are known for lots of power and warmth. The last of my 4 favorite vintage brand rigs is the rolled and pleated in naugahyde '68 Kustom SS 100 watt RMS head and 2-15 cab. Kustoms are pretty big on the bottom and surprisingly loud for the power, particularly with 2/2-15 cabs. My tone is lots of bottom first. Then medium to high highs and not a lot of middle. Of course, some depends on the song being done and the bass I'm using. I also play with my thumb, up fairly close to the neck, so I'm giving away my age with that fact. Not my intent to be showy with the listing, rather, most of these rigs I lusted after when I was young and couldn't afford, so over the last 10-15 years I've been adding my loves. Oren
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Allan - I didn't have time to listen to the bass on the video earlier, but I just did. I like that sound. Sounds very to close to the Acoustic 371 rig sound, kinda warm, fat and bassy, but not thunderous bottomy. I'd say a great sound to emulate. Oren