Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > General Bass Guitar Music and Playing

Old 05-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Junior Posting Member

HADRIEN FERAUD is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up CD Hadrien Feraud by MIKEBASS

Quote:
Umm...WOW!!!
I just recieved a copy a few weeks back, and I gotta tell you, with all these "wanna-be" Marcus Millers/Victor Wootens doing their thumping and double thumping with out ANY concept of what the hell they are doing, this is a nice breathe of fresh air.

As another post was put up, I too can hear sounds of Matt Garrison at times. Maybe even Tony Grey/Janek Gwizdala too, but Hadrien has a "thing" going on here, and it's his own "thing".

I don't have Industrial Zen, so I can't compare it to the playing there, but this disc has that uptown NYC fusion vibe without being pretentious.
No "look at me and how cool and out I can play but still stay in context" stuff going on. Just good (and CLEAN) honest playing.

This is going to be an interesting journey we are going on with Hadrien. This is his first solo disc, and he's already crushing others who have been established for a long time.

Sure he can burn, but he doesn't get out of control and loose sounding. Always sound like he knows where and most importantly- why he's playing what he's playing.

And he's playing a Smith. And it doesn't sound like a Smith.
I didn't think that was possible!!!!

If double thumping and more smooth jazz "slap lead" bass playing is your thing, then do one of two things:
1) Don't buy it, because you may dig it, but it's not your bag- wait for the next Marcus disc (which sounded like the last two IMO)
2) Buy it because it will give you insite to a young and upcoming player who is sure to be a common "bass name".
And hell, you may just dig it!!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default CD Hadrien by MIKE FLYNN

Quote:
New Hadrien Feraud CD preview/review
Quote:
I just got an advance copy of Hadrien's debut solo album and I think it's really killing... I was always impressed with his playing but this actually shows he has some serious depth to his musicianship beyond his outrageous technique. He plays a lot of keyboards too - seemingly as well as he plays bass, he also covers the John McLaughlin tune 'High Jacked' - from the Que Alegria album that first introduced the world to Dominique DiPiazza - and he plays it note perfect and then some and is even joined by McLaughlin on the tune and it's all rather good. There's a funny abstract version of Giant Steps too with Linley Marthe playing both keys and soloing on bass as well. There are a few little weird freak out 'interludes' with HF and Linley as well where they just play 'free' and having seen Linley with Joe Zawinul recently they are two players/friends who are very much on the same level - conceptually and technically. The overall vibe is a real mix of classic fusion, some heavy dance beats and grooves with some world and soundtrack style textures - it's a bit uneven with some tunes rambling a bit - but considering this is the work of a 23-year old kid - it's still hugely impressive.

And his playing... far from wanting to sound OTT or sycophantic - Hadrien is a mother****er - he's pretty much got every technical and harmonic base well and truly covered and his lines sound as effortless as they are jaw dropping - his style is like a cross between Jaco and Dominic DiPiazza - who also guests on two tunes - with a touch of Matt Garrison, bebop and Bach thrown in for good measure. it's obvious he's transcribed a lot of Joe Zawinul too as no matter how insanely fast his playing gets, it always seems melodic, there's also a 'heavy' Weather Report sound throughout the album.

Whether you want to give up or get practicing after you hear him Feraud is a fresh talent with decades ahead of him to mature (not that he lacks maturity) even further, and if you are lucky enough to be able to catch him live on tour with John McLaughlin, Gary Husband and Mark Mondesir later this year - get the hell out and see him!

Just thought some of you guys would appreciate a heads up on this CD

Mike

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=22152
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Brian Holtz is on a distinguished road

Where can we find this CD in the US...I've been looking without much success?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Moved/quotes..

Hi guys, I moved this Thread from the DB section to here and also put the reviews in [quotes] as this is not Hadrien talking but rather two other people posting reviews.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thumbs up Hadrien FERAUD Album

Hi Mr Smith
It's me that posted those two posts , just to give some infos and opinions concerning my CD .
Cheers
Hadrien
Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Quotes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADRIEN FERAUD View Post
Hi Mr Smith
It's me that posted those two posts , just to give some infos and opinions concerning my CD .
Cheers
Hadrien

Yes, I know it was you posting the Reviews. I just wanted it to look more obvious so people would read it as a Review.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Yes, I know it was you posting the Reviews. I just wanted it to look more obvious so people would read it as a Review.
Ah OK I can see better now .
Please give my best thoughts to Jonathan .
I wish you a nice week end .
Best from Mexico City...

Hadrien
Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool In The Amazons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Holtz View Post
Where can we find this CD in the US...I've been looking without much success?

You can pre-order it on Amazon.com