Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road
Default Junk Bows

Greetings Fellow DBers; I'm looking for your junk bows. They can be warped, have no hair, broken, old, new, or whatever. I'd like to learn more about them, and get into repairing them and learning how to rehair. I'm too chicken to try it on my own bow so I'm looking for 1 or 2 Junk ones to be my test subjects! I can't afford much since I'm a student, work a full time job, and just moved into an overpriced apartment. But I'm willing to pay for shipping, and a little something for your trouble . Thanks a lot guys!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Holden View Post
Greetings Fellow DBers; I'm looking for your junk bows. They can be warped, have no hair, broken, old, new, or whatever. I'd like to learn more about them, and get into repairing them and learning how to rehair. I'm too chicken to try it on my own bow so I'm looking for 1 or 2 Junk ones to be my test subjects! I can't afford much since I'm a student, work a full time job, and just moved into an overpriced apartment. But I'm willing to pay for shipping, and a little something for your trouble . Thanks a lot guys!
Check around for violin shops that do repair work for public schools. They frequently get bows that are no longer serviceable and would probably let you have them for asking. Violin bows are probably better for learning purposes since they contain less hair and that cuts down on the (expensive) hair expense. For rehairing purposes, bass bows are just scaled up violin bows, so anything learned on violin bows will apply equally to bass bows.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road

Wow I just called one violin shop... he has 100 bows that are not serviceable.. that I can have my pick for $5-$10 each. ranging from Violin all the way up to Bass Thanks for the Tip!