Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Yita Music

Does anyone here have any experience with the yita music bows (Chinese company selling through an ebay store? They're selling snakewood bows, as well as pernambuco and brazilwood. There's already a thread at TBDB, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews so far.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Chinese Bows..

Seems to be just another Bow 'seller' from China who also sells Violins, Basses and chin rests etc, etc, etc.. NOT a maker of anything but an on-line dealer or music stuff made in China ranging in quality from low to medium at best from what I have seen.

Let me know when a *Pro Bassist (*Orchestral Pro earning his living with a Bow in a Symphony) makes a good review of one of his offerings. Be sure to judge the review well by who it's coming from. Anyone buying Bows on Ebay starting with a bid of $49. cannot expect to use it in the NY Philharmonic. About 80% of the worlds Bows and near that of String instruments are made in China today. Quality doesn't come cheap. Most of the TB posters on there all day are not Professional players. Judge the comments by the level of the player Bow-wise that make them.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Service...

By the way, can you call the guy up on the Phone and discuss weights and balances or ask him to just the Bow while playing a Bass over the Phone for you?

Make sure who you buy a Bow from knows the difference between 'Spicatto and Stucco' or 'Spicatto and Spaghetti'!

If you want a good value Chinese Bow with good reviews on here, TB or Ebay, pro or amateur player, you found it. KSB!

My Bows are also available thru Arnold Schnitzer, Jeff Bollbach, Nick Lloyd, Kevin McConnell (UArts, Philly) and Sleek Elite (Japan and Asia).

If you want to buy a Bow first time out or upgrade from your current Bow, consult a professional. It might help you from making a bad purchase and save some money by getting it right the first time.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road

Point well taken, Ken.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

tim givens is on a distinguished road

i picked up a carbon fiber bow from yita just for the hell of it, but i really love it. for $$ it's a great deal. grabs the note very nicely and quickly. on the downside it is very bright sounding.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Katie Long is on a distinguished road

I know that my teacher Peter Buckoke loves his snakewood one...but it is the second one he has had from them as the first one warped the wrong way. It's a good bow from what he says and I would imagine he's seen a lot of bows. He recommended them to one of my colleagues who is looking for a new stick so he must think something of them, although one does wonder if the one that he sent back has just been put straight back up on ebay...!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default bow

Did Peter Buckoke buy a baroque bow or which one in snakewood?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Junior Posting Member

It's a modern snakewood bow, french style. I'll ask him to tell me some more about it.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Junior Posting Member

I had a go with the snakewood bow yesterday in my lesson... it's very long and quite flat, eg there isn't much camber in it, and the tip is fairly flat too. I tend to like a bow with a fair amount of camber so it didn't suit me very well. Nice and long though, and the balance is good. It's probably a matter of personal preference, there are some bassists I know who play with almost a straight stick with no camber at all. Peter really likes it though and it sounds ace with his bass. He actually reccommended that I buy one of the carbon french bows with silver tips that they are selling as I'm in the market for a spare bow (having totally destroyed my other one, whoops) so he obviously trusts them. They have good ebay reviews as well.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Junior Posting Member

While I'm here, those aren't baroque bows. They are gamba bows. I have a baroque bow and it's nothing like them. Plus I think the bend of the stick is wrong...? Or maybe its just a later bow. I have a 'Baroque' bow from Roger Doe and it's very different to what YitaMusic are selling.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default carbon yitamusic bow

Hi guys, my new carbon fibre bow arrived today. It's a lovely bow actually, it's nicely finished. Doesn't draw the sound as nicely as my pernambuco bow, of course, but still its a good solid sound with a nice amount of grab on the bottom two strings of my modern bass (helicore orchestrals at the moment). I've been switching between the two in my rehearsal this afternoon and it is doing fairly well although the white hair it came with is really not to my liking and very cheap I think! Planning to get it rehaired with some black hair and then I'll let you know what that does to it. As a second bow, it's really good for the money so far.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thumbs up On further inspection...

This is a great bow for the money in my opinion. For £60 worth of bow it's a very good buy, nice straight stick and Peter had a good play with it in my lesson the other day and was very impressed - apparently I have some knack for finding lovely bows! Anyway on the whole its a good buy for the money and I'll be using it as my second bow from now on.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Long View Post
.... it is doing fairly well although the white hair it came with is really not to my liking and very cheap I think! Planning to get it rehaired with some black hair and then I'll let you know what that does to it. As a second bow, it's really good for the money so far.
It's weird that these mass-produced Chinese bows all have that crappy, weak bleached-white hair on their bows.

I bought a KSB bow from Ken about a year and a half ago (you can read the review at the top). It's a really nice bow considering that it is mass-produced, and it draws a big, deep sound compared with other bows that have a similar weight. It is a ton better than my old Upton $99 bow in almost every way.

The one aspect that the Upton definitely had an edge over my current bow was with the hair. Both bows came with white hair. I bought the Upton 2 years ago and just recently sold it. When I packed it into a shipping tube, I noticed that the bow hair looked like it hadn't been used much; all the hairs were pretty much intact and looked brand new. Sure I used it for only half a year and another bassist used it for another half a year, but still, I was amazed with how good it looked. My C. Loveri bow on the other hand is close to losing half its hair, and the Shostakovitch that's coming up won't be kind to the remaining hairs. I'm definitely looking forward to rehairing my bow when I get back to NYC.