Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up KSD Major News (Sales and Service)

As of today, all sales, marketing and service or the KSD line of Basses and the new KSD Burner Basses will now be handled by D'Andrea of New York/PA.

Adam Levy & 'Brooklyn Gear' has turned over all KSD business to D'Andrea officially on this day via Email to both them and us, Ken Smith Basses.

D'Andrea is one of the most respected companies in the Music Business and has been for many many decades.

I will update the contact information for them and post it on this Forum.

D'Andrea has been the distributor on behalf of Brooklyn Gear for over a year now and for the last two shipments of KSD product has taken care of all business related to them. Adam Levy, owner of Brooklyn Gear hired them originally as a 'fulfillment center' for KSD over a year ago but came to the realization recently that it would be best to step aside and let D'Andrea run with this product line and deal directly with all sales and manufacturing for USA as well as International business.

I will meet with the top D'Andrea executive later this month to finalize our agreement for a smooth turnover to make and distribute all KSD Basses as done so in the past by Brooklyn Gear. The Burner model has been modified slightly and will be displayed in the near future on the D'Andrea website as well. This Burner model is not to be confused with the higher end handmade Hadrien Feraud models being produced by Sleek Elite (Hajime Harose) in Japan.

I can say this now from my experience with D'Andrea in the past, present and future that any problems of replacement parts or service will be handled going forward in the most professional manner this business has to offer. D'Andrea is truly a class act.

I would also like to add that with his graceful offer to turn the business over, Adam Levy of Brooklyn really did the best he could do with the resources at hand. This industry is not as easy to succeed in as it sometimes looks. Adam had some difficulties with the previous factory in Korea for many reasons that were unforeseen until it was too late. Recovering from these problems did not look possible. At his expense, he sought out another factory, re-tooled the KSD line and even brought back to life the Smith Burner Designs and production capabilities. I wish him the best success in his future ventures in business.

('KSD' & 'Ken Smith Design' are trademarks of Ken Smith & Ken Smith Basses)

PS: Those of you that also Chat over on TalkBass are welcome to pass on this new KSD information over there. I will do my best to make sure that problems of the past can be handled through D'Andrea and bring this KSD product concept back to the top of the marketplace where it belongs.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Good news!

That's good news!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Antonio Martinez is on a distinguished road
Default :)

Awesome! Good news for all of us with KSD's.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up KSD Sales and Service

For Sales or Service needs or questions, please Email D'Andrea here;
fditomasso@dandreainc.com

I met with the two top people at D'Andrea handling the KSD project the day before yesterday and all looks good going forward for them taking over the KSD product from the former Brooklyn Gear, the former Licensee and Distributor.

D'Andrea is now the only source for the KSD Proto J and KSD Burner Basses. Sleek Elite is the Licensee for the KSD Brooklyn models as well as the Hadrien Feraud Burner models made in Japan. These are two different product lines, two different companies, two different manufacturing sites and two different Price ranges. Please note these differences.

I will be glad to field questions for all and any about either product line. The Japan products by Sleek Elite are much more exclusive and mainly handmade. We supply them with various components for these basses. The D'Andrea KSD's are now made in China with fairly strict supervision on quality control. I am still involved with the design and consultation aspect of both companies using the KSD brand name.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Red face

Dear Ken,
All KSD owners including myself are shouting for joy that a new company has been appointed to oversee the KSD line and KSD Brooklyn. Most of us were hoping that it would have been taken under your wing Ken with hands on management by your reputable self. I mistakenly, criticised you for the Problems obtaining one. Guess what this idiot has done, I loan it out to a friend who did not like my beautiful low action and adjusted and broke my truss rod. I humbly beg if you would be so kind as to let me know if I can get a replacement neck in the next few weeks
with embarassment.

Thanks Ken
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb KSD Brooklyn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shippey View Post
Dear Ken,
All KSD owners including myself are shouting for joy that a new company has been appointed to oversee the KSD line and KSD Brooklyn. Most of us were hoping that it would have been taken under your wing Ken with hands on management by your reputable self. I mistakenly, criticised you for the Problems obtaining one. Guess what this idiot has done, I loan it out to a friend who did not like my beautiful low action and adjusted and broke my truss rod. I humbly beg if you would be so kind as to let me know if I can get a replacement neck in the next few weeks
with embarassment.

Thanks Ken
Ok, listen, please! KSD means Ken Smith Design. Me, Ken Smith is not making any of these or assigning anything, period. The former Brooklyn Gear came up with the idea about 6 years ago and contacted me for design help hence the name 'KSD'. The product known as KSD Brooklyn is once again yet another company but this one is in Japan. Sleek Elite who also happens to be the Ken Smith distributor for Japan and all of Asia wanted to make a higher end KSD model and with my input and some supplies from our shop. They have 'rented' as well the name 'KSD'.

So, anything out there KSD is someone else hiring me for a fee for design and name use.

D'Andrea has made an agreement with Brooklyn Gear to take over the product that THEY (BG) were selling for the last 5 years. In the first 3-4 years the product was made in Korea. In the last year or so they have been coming from a shop in China which from what I have seen to date is doing a better job overall. I had nothing to do with assigning of anything to anyone. It's not my product and never was.

Need a new Neck for a Korean or China made KSD? Call D'Andrea. I have nothing to do with the making, selling or servicing of this or any of the products produced by Sleek Elite in Japan. I/we are just a designer for Hire in this case.

It would be like calling Eddie Bauer if your Ford Explorer broke down. Or better yet, prior to his passing, calling Les Paul if your Gibson Neck broke.

So, for anything KSD related, contact D'Andrea, please. This is their product now. I am sure they will be helpful when you call.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Default KSD Basses

Dear Ken,
I am just posting to say that D'Andrea exceeded my expectations as a customer within 72 hours of contacting them, I received a new neck in London England and had the neck put on by my luthier and gigged it twice. Users can purchase KSD basses with confidence knowing that the customer service just as good as yours Ken.

George
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow New Website

D'Andreas has an initial website up now for the KSD's.

www.ksdbasses.com
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Posting Member

Lou Laurenti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
As of today, all sales, marketing and service or the KSD line of Basses and the new KSD Burner Basses will now be handled by D'Andrea of New York/PA.

Adam Levy & 'Brooklyn Gear' has turned over all KSD business to D'Andrea officially on this day via Email to both them and us, Ken Smith Basses.

D'Andrea is one of the most respected companies in the Music Business and has been for many many decades.

I will update the contact information for them and post it on this Forum.

D'Andrea has been the distributor on behalf of Brooklyn Gear for over a year now and for the last two shipments of KSD product has taken care of all business related to them. Adam Levy, owner of Brooklyn Gear hired them originally as a 'fulfillment center' for KSD over a year ago but came to the realization recently that it would be best to step aside and let D'Andrea run with this product line and deal directly with all sales and manufacturing for USA as well as International business.

I will meet with the top D'Andrea executive later this month to finalize our agreement for a smooth turnover to make and distribute all KSD Basses as done so in the past by Brooklyn Gear. The Burner model has been modified slightly and will be displayed in the near future on the D'Andrea website as well. This Burner model is not to be confused with the higher end handmade Hadrien Feraud models being produced by Sleek Elite (Hajime Harose) in Japan.

I can say this now from my experience with D'Andrea in the past, present and future that any problems of replacement parts or service will be handled going forward in the most professional manner this business has to offer. D'Andrea is truly a class act.

I would also like to add that with his graceful offer to turn the business over, Adam Levy of Brooklyn really did the best he could do with the resources at hand. This industry is not as easy to succeed in as it sometimes looks. Adam had some difficulties with the previous factory in Korea for many reasons that were unforeseen until it was too late. Recovering from these problems did not look possible. At his expense, he sought out another factory, re-tooled the KSD line and even brought back to life the Smith Burner Designs and production capabilities. I wish him the best success in his future ventures in business.

('KSD' & 'Ken Smith Design' are trademarks of Ken Smith & Ken Smith Basses)

PS: Those of you that also Chat over on TalkBass are welcome to pass on this new KSD information over there. I will do my best to make sure that problems of the past can be handled through D'Andrea and bring this KSD product concept back to the top of the marketplace where it belongs.

sounds great