Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 01-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Junior Posting Member

Adam Scott is on a distinguished road
Default Should she be rescued?

Hi all,
I recently came across a used 96' Smith CR4J and was wondering if anyone has any insight on this model. I've loved the sound and playability of Smith basses ever since I was first introduced to them and the prospect of being able to rescue this O'l girl from just collecting dust seems impassable. She's been played a lot but she's been loved. The only real blemishes are player wear where you'd expect to find it but the varnish is worn through pretty much to the wood in a couple of spots. The input jack has a bad connection but all the pots and electronics seem to be working. I'm also curious as to whether or not it would be possible, and at $800 asking price with case, worth it to have it set up to original specs and input jack repaired. I'm not so worried about the finish, I think it tells it's story and gives it character.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1206.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	3448  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1204.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	3449  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	3450  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	3451  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Rescue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scott View Post
Hi all,
I recently came across a used 96' Smith CR4J and was wondering if anyone has any insight on this model. I've loved the sound and playability of Smith basses ever since I was first introduced to them and the prospect of being able to rescue this O'l girl from just collecting dust seems impassable. She's been played a lot but she's been loved. The only real blemishes are player wear where you'd expect to find it but the varnish is worn through pretty much to the wood in a couple of spots. The input jack has a bad connection but all the pots and electronics seem to be working. I'm also curious as to whether or not it would be possible, and at $800 asking price with case, worth it to have it set up to original specs and input jack repaired. I'm not so worried about the finish, I think it tells it's story and gives it character.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
If you are asking me (and I have no idea who else can answer this here), what is there to Rescue if you just need a new Jack and set-up if the finish is ok for you and the bass works fine?

Shipping the bass to us back and forth will cost more than a set-up and new Jack. Re-finish on the other hand can exceed that $800 figure as this takes time and time is money.

Email me if you have questions about repairs and restoration work. support@kensmithbasses.com
Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Junior Posting Member

Adam Scott is on a distinguished road

Ken,
Thank you for responding. As far as "rescuing" goes I was just referring to the fact that it's sitting in a pawn shop collecting dust and in my opinion an instrument of this caliber deserves better. I'm seriously considering picking it up and if/when I do I'll send it in for repair and setup.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scott View Post
Ken,
Thank you for responding. As far as "rescuing" goes I was just referring to the fact that it's sitting in a pawn shop collecting dust and in my opinion an instrument of this caliber deserves better. I'm seriously considering picking it up and if/when I do I'll send it in for repair and setup.

Thanks
If the neck is good, then the price is cheap. Get it.