Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Holdridge View Post
Hello,

Can someone please explain what was said in an early post about 'string spin'?
I'm not familiar with this metric and I'm interested since I have a new bass.

To avoid appearance of taking this thread off topic, I'll put in my .02c about bel cantos. I have Flexo 92's on my bass (less than 1yr old) and was reasonably satisfied but not totally. I wanted something darker and warmer, bassically I'm impatient for it to sound old!

Put the BC's on there and immediately liked the deeper, thuddier sound of pizz. A little more gut-like sound, and lower tension than the Flexocors; buttery sound in some of the higher notes.
The jury is still out on the bowing. I'm going to try them in a few rehearsals and see how it goes. I have noticed that some notes seem easier to start but will have to see how they do on vigorous spicatto passages. The tone isn't too different from the 92's, my basses character seems to override the string difference a little bit, but they do have a bit less of an 'edge', which is ok with me.
I seemed to be getting a lot of scratchiness with the 92's though admittedly my technique has a long way to go. But if there is something about the BC's that is better for breaking in a new instrument, then I'd probably keep them on for a while.
Hi Josh,
I think 'string spin' is referring to the string actually twisting under the bow - this, I guess, would happen with a lighter, more flexible string.
Hey, Ken will undoubtedly correct me if I am wrong here.
I used BCs for about two years and they are a very good string (if you read the old posts on this thread, you'll see that they were my favourite at one point).
I have two basses - a new (2003) fully carved and an old (1950?) plywood. I've mainly used Spiro Weichs, Corelli (I think they were 700s?), BC EP and EP Weichs over the last while. They're all good strings and all work fine on both my basses. I bow lots and pizz lots - obviously each string has advantages and disadvantages. I've got EP Weichs on my main bass at present.
I like what Bin said a few posts ago. I agree that we probably spend too much time changing strings (fun though!).
My humble advice, for what it is worth, is to leave the BCs on your bass and put in some serious time gigging and practising. I found the BCs a tiny little bit too flexible for pizz but, having said that, I used them for some jazz gigs and a lot of gypsy jazz gigs. Give those strings a good go - that's my advice.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Josh Holdridge is on a distinguished road

Thanks Richard. It seems sensible what you are saying about string spin, though I'm not exactly sure how that translates into being optimal for breaking in a new bass. Perhaps some engineering genuises will scoff at my underpowered brain but like you say, I'm not worrying about it too much. Just going to play the heck out of the bass and practice a lot, that should go a long way to breaking it in.

I do like the strings though. They're better at spontaneous jazz jam duo sessions with possesed sax players than the Flexocors were, and they bow fairly well.