Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Junior Posting Member

stewart mcewan is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie DIP switch question..

I know, I'm as dumb as, as.....a very dumb thing, but I am struggling a little with DIP switch settings.

I have a new to me '05 BSR5GN and upon searching found that my DIP switch settings match neither the OLD or NEW settings as discussed. Mine are all over the place. It still sounds good if a little mid oriented, looking for a little more warmth if poss.

Anyways, my question is really simple, is ON up or down ??? I can't try the other settings till I know this.

And whilst I've got your attention, the TRIM pot, is that the WHITE column with the white wire coming from it ?? I know on the 9V models its a little BLUE switch. Mine of course is 18v.

Any help gratefully received as always,

Yours aye, your Tartan clad chum,
Stewart

Last edited by stewart mcewan; 02-23-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: correct some spelling errors...told you I was dumb !!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart mcewan View Post
I know, I'm as dumb as, as.....a very dumb thing, but I am struggling a little with DIP switche settings.

I have a new to me '05 BSR5GN and upon searching found that my DIP switch setting matches neither the OLD or NEW settings as discussed. Mine are all over the place. It still sounds good if a little mid oriented, looking for a little more warmth if poss.

Anyways, my question is really simple, is ON up or down ??? I can't try the other settings till I know this.

And whilst I've got your attention, the TRIM pot, is that the WHITE column with the white wire coming from it ?? I know on the 9V models its a little BLUE switch.

Any help gratefully received as always,

Yours aye,
Stewart
That is the Bridge ground pin. Don't touch it. I think Up is facing the wood as it's installed. Look here at the PAPA layout for the DIP settings; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/papa/P...et-rev7-09.pdf
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Also....

Here's a print of the "Original" and "New" settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smith DIP Settings.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	2010  

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Many many thanks for the prompt and extremely informative replies. Just what I needed.
I have now gigged the bass in anger and it sounded fan=blooming-tastic. I had a huge grin all night. Notes I normally really have to articulate came flying out. The bass was really easy to play, is exremely well balanced and felt very light on the strap, no shoulder fatigue here !!!!
One small issue, I would like more output from the bass if possible. The amp was cranked way higher than for previous basses ( Stingray % and Overwater Perception 5, both quite hot basses tbh ).
I understand there is a gain trim, where is this please ??

FYI I have new batteries and the difference in volume between active and passive modes is minimal, active being slightly louder.

Thanks all,
Stewart
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb gain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart mcewan View Post
Many many thanks for the prompt and extremely informative replies. Just what I needed.
I have now gigged the bass in anger and it sounded fan=blooming-tastic. I had a huge grin all night. Notes I normally really have to articulate came flying out. The bass was really easy to play, is exremely well balanced and felt very light on the strap, no shoulder fatigue here !!!!
One small issue, I would like more output from the bass if possible. The amp was cranked way higher than for previous basses ( Stingray % and Overwater Perception 5, both quite hot basses tbh ).
I understand there is a gain trim, where is this please ??

FYI I have new batteries and the difference in volume between active and passive modes is minimal, active being slightly louder.

Thanks all,
Stewart
Active to Passive is the same output unless you raise the EQ or the Active Gain which is located on the Mid Board.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Trim-pot

On the Mid board, look for a small slotted dial (this is the trim-pot). The trim-pot dial is white in color and is housed and raised up a bit off the board . You will need a small flat-head screwdriver to make the adjustment. Clockwise will increase gain, counter-clockwise will decrease gain. This is a great feature and if adjusted correctly can be of great benefit to the player.

I generally adjust trim-pot to about 80%-90% (gain increase). Not sure what amplification set-up you are using, however, be careful not to overdrive the amp. I've not had any issue overdriving any of my Eden heads. But not all amps are the same.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks all, now sorted. Big increase in output, it was set to about 9 o'clock, now closer to 1 o'clock. Not overdriving any amps so thats good.

I owe you guys a beer next time you're in Glasgow.
Thanks Stewart
p.s. whilst I was adjusting the trim I was teaching my 7 year old daughter major and minor scales and arpeggios. What else do you do on a rainy Sunday afternoon ??

S