Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 02-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bob Rowlette is on a distinguished road
Default Euphonic Audio Wizzy M-Line

After using my new EA Wizzy M-Line for the past few days for double bass gigs, I have to say that everything I had heard and read about this cab is true and then some. The Wizzy M is absolutely fantastic. I even used it in a couple of rooms that have difficult acoustics, and the sound was wonderful. Very warm, deep and clear without any boom or mud. The depth and clarity were especially impressive. The way the lowest register speaks is pretty amazing, yet from the bottom to the top, you can hear everything, and the entire range of the bass is very even. I never had the urge to turn up the volume to be able to hear myself, which is something I especially liked. With my Walter Woods Electracoustic amp, I needed almost no EQ, even in the tough rooms. I also have a Euphonic Audio VL-208 as well as an original Wizzy E, and, to me, the Wizzy M is even better than either of those two very outstanding cabs. The M-Line is also nicely compact, lightweight, and easy to transport. If you get a chance to check out one of these cabs, I'd recommend it highly.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Oh no you don't! I won't let you talk me into anything new. I've got just exactly what I need-for now.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Posting Member

Phil Maneri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlette View Post
I also have a Euphonic Audio VL-208 as well as an original Wizzy E, and, to me, the Wizzy M is even better than either of those two very outstanding cabs.
I tried it on a gig too and stopped just short of recommending it over the VL-208. I'd need to work with both a bit more than one show to know for sure. My experiences with that cab are just as yours too. I haven't yet bought one but I probably will.

Phil Maneri
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default Wizzy-M and WW 2 ch. amp compared to AI Focus 2r III

Quote:
After using my new EA Wizzy M-Line for the past few days for double bass gigs, I have to say that everything I had heard and read about this cab is true and then some. The Wizzy M is absolutely fantastic. I even used it in a couple of rooms that have difficult acoustics, and the sound was wonderful. Very warm, deep and clear without any boom or mud. The depth and clarity were especially impressive. The way the lowest register speaks is pretty amazing, yet from the bottom to the top, you can hear everything, and the entire range of the bass is very even. I never had the urge to turn up the volume to be able to hear myself, which is something I especially liked. With my Walter Woods Electracoustic amp, I needed almost no EQ, even in the tough rooms. I also have a Euphonic Audio VL-208 as well as an original Wizzy E, and, to me, the Wizzy M is even better than either of those two very outstanding cabs. The M-Line is also nicely compact, lightweight, and easy to transport. If you get a chance to check out one of these cabs, I'd recommend it highly.
Although I have not tried a VL-208 or an original Wizzy to compare, I've owned my pair of Wizzy M-lines since late Oct.'06 and concur w/ everything you've said whole heartedly and the honeymoon is far from over.

BTW Phil, this weekend I finally got around to trying the Wizzy-M out w/ my ol' Walter Woods MI 225-8 (c. mid '80's 2 channel green light) and the sound was SWEET!

One gig was w/ the Prescott in a large room. Lower volume concert settng. We had pro sound, but at the soundcheck the sound guy said i didn't need to be in the house at all. I did feel that my sound was cutting thru eventhough stage volume was low. The WW's eq was set flat and when I did boost the midrange knob the slightest bit it gave me just the right amount of those famously pleasing WW mids. I think the WW w/ the WM-line has a bit more presence than the Acoustic Image Focus 2r III that I've been using w/ this cab. The WW w/the WM-line was warm, clear, even.. just great. I did a good amount of arco playing on that gig and I never felt the need to change the eq wether arco or piz. Ofcourse the AI Focus 2r has alot more power than this WW model and on the next gig I had to crank it up a bit more than I do w/ the AI in order to boost the signal of this earlier version Realist pick up. It was a Mardi Gras dinner dance doubling on DB and BG. A 7 piece band in a medium sized room for a crowd of about 80. But eventhough there was less headroom w/ the WW, since my WM-line is a 4ohm cab w/ high sensitivity there was quite enough great tone to cut that gig w/ one cab (even w/ this loud drummer w/ Elec. G and horns). No breaking up, distorting or barking. The WW seemed to enjoy the 4ohm load that coaxed out more of its good juicy juice. I really do enjoy the AI and WM-line combination for both DB and BG, but I have to say that the WW sounded just outstanding and I was really floored by the great sound when I picked up the Music Man Sterling BG. I was getting a really fat low end that was just inspiring on the R&B grooves. The drummer who I've worked w/ for many years commented on the omni-directionality of this cab as opposed to my older set-ups. While I was playing DB he said he hears the bass better overall now. Doubling w/ this head I was reminded of the covenience of the toggle switch to select between ch. 1 or 2. This is better than having to make sure I'm pressing the correct little white button in the heat of battle to turn off ch. 2 on the AI. Overall the pre-amp and the eq of the WW seems especially wonderful w/ this cab. The eq effects the tone more w/ less knob twisting than the AI. But I DO love the AI as well. I wouldn't be able to run both of my WM-lines w/ the WW 'cause of the 4ohm minimum load requirement of that head. The AI, however, takes the 2ohm load in stride.
I'm truly blessed to have such great gear

BG

Last edited by Brian Glassman; 02-11-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Posting Member

Sounds right.

The only question that really remains is two 8 ohm or one 4?

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

My only reservation about the Wizzy M is for doubling. The original Wizzy E is my favorite cab for that, however the Wizzy M has a more Hi-Fi, transparent type of sound and doesn't have as much of the vintage warmth that I like with the Wizzy E for bass guitar. I'm hoping I get used to that, since I like the Wizzy M so well for double bass. It's really amazing for that.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
My only reservation about the Wizzy M is for doubling. The original Wizzy E is my favorite cab for that, however the Wizzy M has a more Hi-Fi, transparent type of sound and doesn't have as much of the vintage warmth that I like with the Wizzy E for bass guitar. I'm hoping I get used to that, since I like the Wizzy M so well for double bass. It's really amazing for that.
I notoriously dislike the Wizzy E for either instrument. I didn't have a chance to work with an EB with the M but I would bet it's great. Brian? Time for more hurling.

Phil Maneri
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default Wizzy-M w/ BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
I notoriously dislike the Wizzy E for either instrument. I didn't have a chance to work with an EB with the M but I would bet it's great. Brian? Time for more hurling.
he added depth it gives to my

I like the Wizzy-M just fine for slab. I have a pair for loud gigs, but one seems kick really well for most. I enjoy the added depth it gives my very punchy Music Man Sterling. Ofcourse there's no substitute for mass.
I've tried much heavier rigs w/ multiple speakers that give the BG more heft to the sound, but for a 33 pound speaker? it's great. I think the BG even sounded better w/ the M when I used my Walter Woods instead of the Focus. It sounded like a much bigger cab than it is. How's that for hurling, Phil?

My one criticism w/ BG may be that the speaker seems to sound a little dry w/ pops and slaps. It's almost like while the wizzer plays the hi's the woofer takes a break on the lows. Maybe it can't transmit the crispiest hi's and lows at the same time? A good test might be to play a keyboard thru it and play at the extreme hi end and low end of the keyboard at the same time.

Last edited by Brian Glassman; 02-18-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quite honestly, I've only briefly tried the Wizzy M at home with the BG. It didn't sound quite right to me, but it wasn't a very realistic test. The original Wizzy E has quite a bit of midrange warmth and sounds kind of vintage, almost like an old Ampeg but with it own unique character. Since I'm an old-school electric bass player, I tend to go for that kind of sound. The Wizzy M is more open and Hi-Fi sounding (and is less colored) and probably would be terrific for a modern type BG sound. The Wizzy M definitely sounds wonderful for the DB.