Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb The KSD Story

The KSD line of Basses were conceived by a team of players from Brooklyn Gear (a music products distributor) and Ken Smith. These Basses are made in a small shop in Korea from which many of them have worked for one of the biggest shops prior to starting their own. Their goal was to make quality Korean production Guitars and Basses. Brooklyn Gear contracts these Basses to be made, advertises them and distributes them worldwide.

Ken Smith Basses is not the maker or distributor of these Basses at all but rather contracted as a Designer and Consultant as needed with Brooklyn Gear.

Ken Smith Basses does carry a limited number of these Basses from time to time but the bulk of distribution is by worldwide distributors and Retail stores in USA. We do not wish to compete with Brooklyn Gears distribution network. We do however act more like a local dealer in regards to selling the KSDs from our Shop.

We have experimented with a few KSDs by putting one of our Smith B.T. Concentric circuits in them with good results but the fit was not that easy. We then asked our Engineer to design a B.T. model circuit just for the KSD and if it fits other similar Basses, that would be a plus. We made one test unit and it was just what we had hoped for. Currently they are on the schedule to be produced but we first have to make circuits for our own Handmade Smith Basses.

As production time allows, we will eventually have these circuits to put in the KSDs that we sell as our own Shop version along with Bridges and Pickups to offer somewhat of a custom version at a fair market price for the upgrades installed. We would actually prefer doing the KSDs this way from our own shop rather than compete with other KSD dealers in USA. We will still buy (from Brooklyn Gear) and stock the standard models in the meantime as they become available to us but again, we must yield to the needs of other stocking KSD dealers and the distribution program developed by Brooklyn Gear.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-21-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The KSD line of Basses were conceived by a team of players from Brooklyn Gear (a music products distributor) and Ken Smith. These Basses are made in a small shop in Korea from which many of them have worked for one of the biggest shops prior to starting their own. Their goal was to make quality Korean production Guitars and Basses. Brooklyn Gear contracts these Basses to be made, advertises them and distributes them worldwide.

Ken Smith Basses is not the maker or distributor of these Basses at all but rather contracted as a Designer and Consultant as needed with Brooklyn Gear.

Ken Smith Basses does carry a limited number of these Basses from time to time but the bulk of distribution is by worldwide distributors and Retail stores in USA. We do not wish to compete with Brooklyn Gears distribution network. We do however act more like a local dealer in regards to selling the KSDs from our Shop.

We have experimented with a few KSDs by putting one of our Smith B.T. Concentric circuits in them with good results but the fit was not that easy. We then asked our Engineer to design a B.T. model circuit just for the KSD and if it fits other similar Basses, that would be a plus. We made one test unit and it was just what we had hoped for. Currently they are on the schedule to be produced but we first have to make circuits for our own Handmade Smith Basses.

As production time allows, we will eventually have these circuits to put in the KSDs that we sell as our own Shop version along with Bridges and Pickups to offer somewhat of a custom version at a fair market price for the upgrades installed. We would actually prefer doing the KSDs this way from our own shop rather than compete with other KSD dealers in USA. We will still buy (from Brooklyn Gear) and stock the standard models in the meantime as they become available to us but again, we must yield to the needs of other stocking KSD dealers and the distribution program developed by Brooklyn Gear.

Interesting.

Comparatively speaking, how would you describe the sound of these basses after upgrading with your B.T. Concentric Circuit? By the way, when you experimented with this, did you use your P/U's?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Qs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Interesting.

Comparatively speaking, how would you describe the sound of these basses after upgrading with your B.T. Concentric Circuit? By the way, when you experimented with this, did you use your P/U's?
It actually sounds pretty hot with the stock circuit. The KS USA Circuit is a little cleaner and tighter sounding. Construction is top notch and the price reflects that. All tests were done with the Stock KSD pickups.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Knell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mark Knell
Default Hi Ken

If I'm correct, the KSD 5 strings are all 35" scale. I believe your Ken Smith Basses are 34" scale in 5 & 6 string models (correct me if I'm wrong here...) so my question is why did you go with a 35" scale on the Jazz basses?

This is my first post and I am happy that I found your forum.

Best,

Mark
Old 04-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Why 35"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knell View Post
If I'm correct, the KSD 5 strings are all 35" scale. I believe your Ken Smith Basses are 34" scale in 5 & 6 string models (correct me if I'm wrong here...) so my question is why did you go with a 35" scale on the Jazz basses?

This is my first post and I am happy that I found your forum.

Best,

Mark
This was a request from the Brooklyn Gear team during the early design stages. They thought it would be good marketing perception to make it 35". I agreed to let it fly as it was their Bass and not mine. We still have a 34" scale KSD with 9-18mm spacing on the drawing board for down the road sometime. The final decision is that of Brooklyn Gear and not mine. I can only suggest, not demand.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

George Shippey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to George Shippey
Default Ksd Proto J Bass

Fr George Shippey

I have used one of the KSD protojv705 70s bass which sounded extremely good. However. I have found it very difficult to purchase one of my own. I have contacted several retailers in Europe and placed an order with an American dealer who states that he is having problems obtaining the bass. In fact I contacted Brooklyn gear who confirmed that they had no stock.

I ordered my bass in six weeks ago and deeply regret that I did not spend a bit more and go for a Sadowsky as I have found Brooklyn gear woeful at supplying their dealers.

G W Shippey
Old 03-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Unhappy Reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwshippey View Post
Fr George Shippey

I have used one of the KSD protojv705 70s bass which sounded extremely good. However. I have found it very difficult to purchase one of my own. I have contacted several retailers in Europe and placed an order with an American dealer who states that he is having problems obtaining the bass. In fact I contacted Brooklyn gear who confirmed that they had no stock.

I ordered my bass in six weeks ago and deeply regret that I did not spend a bit more and go for a Sadowsky as I have found Brooklyn gear woeful at supplying their dealers.

G W Shippey

George, I find it disturbing that you joined up just to complain.
Quote:
Why you joined Ken's Corner:
To Comment On the KSD proto Bass
This is a Bass I designed, not made or sold by or thru us. Also, Brooklyn Gear is in the process of changing factories in order to maintain quality. Please understand that business is not easy in itself and your Post does not help in any way either. Go over to TalkBass.com and read Adam's reply (BG owner) on what is going on with the Basses. Do a search on KSD and find that recent thread from last month. Post #89 here.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Posting Member

Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default Ksd

Ken how soon do you think the pre-amp will be ready for the Ksd.

Mike Wilson
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanzbe View Post
Ken how soon do you think the pre-amp will be ready for the Ksd.

Mike Wilson
I don't know for sure as we have several other scheduled items in production that have to be taken care of first.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Talking My New KSD

My new KSDvj705 arrived after nearly eight months wait it had a few problems which I won't mention here but the guys at the Bass Gallery put all the wrongs on that bass right and I have used it before this post live and it is the most dynamic sounding Jazz bass I have ever owned. I just cannot put it down. The night I played I used it as my main bass, with an acoustic bass and a number of people asked me about this bass. The members of my band said to me that they prefer it to my other high end basses including my Sadowsky.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default KSDvj705

This is a good friend of mine with a KSD protovJ705 its pure magic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj12N...ature=related:)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default KSDs sound good. Single coil pickups give a vintage tone.

Here is a video clip of me with a 70s KSD - 5 String. The Sax player, Keith McKelley, is smoking this solo. Small quasi-bass solo towards the end of the clip. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuVN...related&fmt=18
Old 10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb News..

The KSD line of Basses is now handled by D'Andrea Inc.

Story available here.
Closed Thread