Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Overwhelming majority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Fender Jazz, really, might I ask what year and if its American or Mexican produced? It would over whelmingly seem as though the majority of the Bassist on this thread prefer the Aguilar and Epifani products. Indeed that makes a powerful statement, one would assume that their products are the ones (if your wallet can afford it) to acquire.
Al

"Overwhelming majority of the Bassist on this thread"? I'm counting a couple that use these cabs out of about 225 members of this Forum overall (maybe 1.5% of the total). Thats like comparing Apple to Microsoft. I would recommend getting a few more endorsements before making that call.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-11-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fender Jazz, really, might I ask what year and if its American or Mexican produced? It would over whelmingly seem as though the majority of the Bassist on this thread prefer the Aguilar and Epifani products. Indeed that makes a powerful statement, one would assume that their products are the ones (if your wallet can afford it) to acquire.
Al
Al,

My Jazz is a Mexican made with the usual upgrades (leo quan bridge, hipshot exteneder tuner. and new pick ups). It sounded better to me than the others and it was a lot cheaper than a US made even with the upgrades.

As to the Aguilar and Epifani comment, I would agree with Tim in saying that I do not see that many people using these brands in the forum. I see most players using Eden and power and preamp combinations than Aguilar or Epifani. As you said earlier, it is what sounds good to you that matters.

The Aguilar head works for me because it is a dual channel head with an overdrive channel that works very well for rock music (kind of a pushed Ampeg SVT sound)- and a very clean channel for everything else. I could probably do better with two preamp set ups - one dirt one clean- but that would be very heavy and inpractical. Also the Aguilar AG 500 is pretty loud (500 watts) and light (18LBS). So it is very practical in a lot of ways.

BD
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Smart man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Doss View Post
Al,

My Jazz is a Mexican made with the usual upgrades (leo quan bridge, hipshot exteneder tuner. and new pick ups). It sounded better to me than the others and it was a lot cheaper than a US made even with the upgrades.

As to the Aguilar and Epifani comment, I would agree with Tim in saying that I do not see that many people using these brands in the forum. I see most players using Eden and power and preamp combinations than Aguilar or Epifani. As you said earlier, it is what sounds good to you that matters.

The Aguilar head works for me because it is a dual channel head with an overdrive channel that works very well for rock music (kind of a pushed Ampeg SVT sound)- and a very clean channel for everything else. I could probably do better with two preamp set ups - one dirt one clean- but that would be very heavy and inpractical. Also the Aguilar AG 500 is pretty loud (500 watts) and light (18LBS). So it is very practical in a lot of ways.

BD
Bill, the only thing really lacking in the Mexican made Fenders is the electronics. Other than that, about the same. With the upgrades, replacing the pick-ups and $ savings; shows wisdom on your part!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Ouch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
"Overwhelming majority of the Bassist on this thread"? I'm counting a couple that use these cabs out of about 225 members of this Forum overall (maybe 1.5% of the total). Thats like comparing Apple to Microsoft. I would recommend getting a few more endorsements before making that call.
Ouch, give a brother some slack, ok,ok I admit it I exaggerated the majority a bit.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ouch....

Quote:
Ouch, give a brother some slack, ok,ok I admit it I exaggerated the majority a bit.

Sorry, no slack here. It's always better to under-exaggerate, or have the facts closer at hand!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

There were a fair number of GK users at the start of this thread. I'm not a fan of Epifani. I've tried a couple of rigs and it simply wasn't crisp enough for my ears.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool The Best Pro Shops in Your Area

I'm sure some of you travel around as much as I do, and when I'm not able to get to my favorite Pro Shop in New Jersey( New Jersey Bass & Guitar Center) located in Edison NJ, I'd like to have a heads up on the best shops in your demographic area. So if you dont mind hit me off with your favorite spot to pick up the real deal in gear. Thanks
Al
Old 04-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Hmmmm....

Quote:
I'm sure some of you travel around as much as I do, and when I'm not able to get to my favorite Pro Shop in New Jersey( New Jersey Bass & Guitar Center) located in Edison NJ, I'd like to have a heads up on the best shops in your demographic area. So if you dont mind hit me off with your favorite spot to pick up the real deal in gear. Thanks
Al

Anyplace other than Guitar Center!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Default Century Music Systems in San Antonio...

Quote:
Al

Actually, I've had some great friends for years who run a music store called Century Music Systems here in San Antonio. They are good folks (Dale and Tommy & the gang), and they have access to anything you want, at a great price. The store has a great personal, family feel. If they don't have it (which they usually do), they'll get it quickly!

Currently, Al, if you want to get into some really serious gear specifically for the bass player, it's pretty convenient to drive 60 miles to Austin and vivst the Bass Emporium, and other great stores there.

After Ken talked about the advantages of George L instrument cables a few days ago (got one with my new Ken Smith, thank you!), I walked into Century Music to rent a keyboard for our Church Anniversary, and they were doing George L's in a big way. They make them to order right there on the spot. by the way, the George L tips are noticabally "better fitting" than the normal instrument cable tip!

Incidentally, Ken also sent me Al "The Burner" Turner's newest CD with my package. If you don't have it, you gotta hear it. Get it from Ken, and play it in your car. Al's bass solos are fantastic, and I've been practicing them on my new baby!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Actually, I've had some great friends for years who run a music store called Century Music Systems here in San Antonio. They are good folks (Dale and Tommy & the gang), and they have access to anything you want, at a great price. The store has a great personal, family feel. If they don't have it (which they usually do), they'll get it quickly!

Currently, Al, if you want to get into some really serious gear specifically for the bass player, it's pretty convenient to drive 60 miles to Austin and vivst the Bass Emporium, and other great stores there.

After Ken talked about the advantages of George L instrument cables a few days ago (got one with my new Ken Smith, thank you!), I walked into Century Music to rent a keyboard for our Church Anniversary, and they were doing George L's in a big way. They make them to order right there on the spot. by the way, the George L tips are noticabally "better fitting" than the normal instrument cable tip!

Incidentally, Ken also sent me Al "The Burner" Turner's newest CD with my package. If you don't have it, you gotta hear it. Get it from Ken, and play it in your car. Al's bass solos are fantastic, and I've been practicing them on my new baby!
Ronson, thanks for the tip, and Tim I agree with you regarding anyplace but Guitar Center!!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Junior Posting Member

Pim Zuurveld is on a distinguished road

I use Trace Elliot Top, 1048 cabinet and a 15 inch cabinet. Lots of power to really extend the low B string...

love them
Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandberg View Post
I use Trace Elliot Top, 1048 cabinet and a 15 inch cabinet. Lots of power to really extend the low B string...

love them
Any chance of you posting a pic or two?
Thanks Al
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Junior Posting Member

Tamás Száva is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tamás Száva Send a message via Skype™ to Tamás Száva
Default Amp & cab

I use an EBS HD 350 head and an EBS 4x10 evolution pro line cabinet.
I love them. Really powerful with plenty of headroom. Con: cabinet is quite heavy (41 kg), but that's the price of great power handling capacity and conventional non-neodymium construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD350.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	173  Click image for larger version

Name:	EBS410_angle.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	174  
Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamás Száva View Post
I use an EBS HD 350 head and an EBS 4x10 evolution pro line cabinet.
I love them. Really powerful with plenty of headroom. Con: cabinet is quite heavy (41 kg), but that's the price of great power handling capacity and conventional non-neodymium construction.

I played through this set-up (with the addition of the 2x10 cab) a couple of years ago. Great bass rig!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Dream Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I played through this set-up (with the addition of the 2x10 cab) a couple of years ago. Great bass rig!

Tim, being that you have played through many different set-ups what would you consider your dream rig? and what are you currently playing through now?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Review this thread...

Quote:
Tim, being that you have played through many different set-ups what would you consider your dream rig? and what are you currently playing through now?

Al, review and see posts #25 and #31 (among others) of this thread.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-23-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool From Post #31 of this thread....

Well, when it comes to bass, you can NEVER have enough headroom!

I currently use my Eden WT-550 as a DI (no cab; don't need it; will explain later). IMO, this gives the Sound-man all he needs for bass (post EQ) and with us being on Avioms and fitted in-ears, keeps the stage volume controlled.

I never thought I would be able to break away from my on-stage rig, however, with a little work, I have grown to adapt to the in-ears and the convenience you get with Avioms: I love mixing what I want to hear in my ear and not having to fight to get the attention of the Sound-man to attend to what I need in the mix. More importantly, I love not having to carry all that weight with the "big rig".

Now, don't get me wrong, where the convenience of Avioms, great sound system, a Sound-man with an ear, etc. are not available, my newest favorite rig is my QSC PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the venue.

The PLX3602 bridged into 4 ohms has an output of 3600W . While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I'll ever need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that compares!

I've played through many rigs and I still love my Eden rigs (among others), however, "can't touch this"!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-24-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thank You Tim, most informative!!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road
Default Bag End cabinets

Has anyone tried out Bag End's S15X-D cabs? I just picked one from another forum member and I am loving it! It is a 15 inch speaker with a coaxial tweeter in the middle of the speaker. I can't believe the SPL and presence that that little thing has.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

I tried alot of different stuff early on, but ended up with SWR cabs in the early 90's with Crest power and an Ampeg SVT Pro preamp. However, I had driver issues with the SWR cabs.
So in '95 I went to Rockvale Music in MD and walked outta there with 2 Eden 118XL's, a 410XLT and a D210 (later replaced with a 210XLT) and a Navigator preamp was added 2 years later. I've never looked back....

I have never had an issue with the Eden cabs until recently. Both 10's in the 210XLT are creased where the cone joins the surrounds- over excurtion. Says alot for the voice coils- the cones are tearing themselves apart, but there is no voice coil rub. They are starting to sound a bit funky.... not in a good way kinda funky, either. Time for reconing. It's by no fault of the speakers, tho. I've pounded the livin' daylights out of these cabs and they just keep coming back for more. I know they're not for everyone, but I love the sound.
Last year I got rid of the heavy Crest and went to a QSC PLX2402. Not bad at all, but I don't believe it has quite the oomph down below of the Crest. Especially when I drop the low 'B' to 'G#'

Chris