Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Posting Member

Danny Hernandez is on a distinguished road
Question Home Studio Recording Set up....

Hi guys since receiving my KSB BSR6EG, I have been putting more hours in training and practicing playing and would like to start recording my practice sessions. Now my question is what kind of home studio equipment are you guys running.
Am currently running 2 KRK 6" powered monitors,
M-Autio Fastrac pro with Pro Tools SE. I have been able to record some but am just not convinced that am getting the best sound. I am running my KSB into my Eden WTX264 and out to the fast track pro.

Do you guys have any suggestions on set up?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hernandez View Post
Hi guys since receiving my KSB BSR6EG, I have been putting more hours in training and practicing playing and would like to start recording my practice sessions. Now my question is what kind of home studio equipment are you guys running.
Am currently running 2 KRK 6" powered monitors,
M-Autio Fastrac pro with Pro Tools SE. I have been able to record some but am just not convinced that am getting the best sound. I am running my KSB into my Eden WTX264 and out to the fast track pro.

Do you guys have any suggestions on set up?

Thanks
Many, many variables and subjectivity here. However, sounds like you are off to a great start. Be careful to not overdrive your audio interface from the WTX264, your bass, and/or your audio interface. Nothing wrong with your approach, just use your ears to judge (adjustments from your bass and amp will most likely be minimal). Anything I have ever recorded remotely with my Smith (or other), I generally record flat and the end product is a .wav file for the final mix.

I would also suggest running your bass directly into your audio interface and experiment with that approach. I personally prefer to use my IEM's when I'm recording/laying tracks: I hear it better and feel I get the most accurate and transparent track in the end.