Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Posting Member

Shawn Charniga is on a distinguished road
Default Hungarian Viennese model?

This one's been on the market for months. Anyone have thoughts on origin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272442221141...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Regardless of the price, that Top has to be re-fit to the Ribs. The internal work might also be poorly fitted and that dark stain on the wood looks phony to age it artificially.

I have real basses with better restorations. I have Viennese style basses as well un-restored and I will be the first to tell you what work it might need down the road.

That bass on Ebay is probably something more modern from Germany or Czechlands or even Austria or Hungary. Beechwood scroll on a modern instrument says a lot to me if it is original to the bass.

Too many ???s for me to think seriously about this bass if I were in the market. Besides, it's 3,000 miles away from you. There are plenty of basses around if you are shopping and you can travel 2,875 miles less to find them.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Posting Member

Shawn Charniga is on a distinguished road

I was more curious about what the heck it might actually be. There's a lot there that doesn't add up, and the paperwork is silent on the issue of attribution.

Do you happen to have any interesting old wrecks laying around that could be had for not too much money?

Biase has an interesting carcass he's calling a Collin-Mezin, but his asking price is half of what Geoff Morrow recently sold a fully-restored Collin-Mezin for.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation wrecks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Charniga View Post
I was more curious about what the heck it might actually be. There's a lot there that doesn't add up, and the paperwork is silent on the issue of attribution.

Do you happen to have any interesting old wrecks laying around that could be had for not too much money?

Biase has an interesting carcass he's calling a Collin-Mezin, but his asking price is half of what Geoff Morrow recently sold a fully-restored Collin-Mezin for.
Restorations can cost 1000s to 10s of 1000s. Then, unless done Expertly, it wont have much of a resale value and also might need more work to maintain. Often, basses end up costing more than they are worth when restoring Wrecks.

I only buy basses I like and that are healthy candidates for restoration or that are in good condition to play as-is. I have two basses in stock that were not restored recently but are working basses. Restored, they might cost a bit more. As-is, for sale for slightly less. You would have to come by and see them.