Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default Wolf note or not?

When I play the Ab on my E string up an octave (the note that would be played on the 16th fret of a bass guitar) is surges - like a wobble. Is this what they call a wolf note?
I put on a little device that I bought years ago that is supposed to deal to wolf notes. It's a little piece of rubber that 'clips' onto the string (between the bridge and the tail piece) and is encased in a cylindrical piece of brass that is held in place with a screw.
The little device so far hasn't fixed the note; I've moved it up and down the string.
Any advice appreciated.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Senior Posting Member

Just been reading on the web and my little 'thingy' is called a 'wolf note eliminator'. It's supposed to work best at about 6cm from the bridge. I think I tried that with little success. I think that my bridge may be a little out of alignment - I'll try to fix that soon. Also, a luthier told me that my soundpost is a little 'loose'.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Just been reading on the web and my little 'thingy' is called a 'wolf note eliminator'. It's supposed to work best at about 6cm from the bridge. I think I tried that with little success. I think that my bridge may be a little out of alignment - I'll try to fix that soon. Also, a luthier told me that my soundpost is a little 'loose'.
Richard, I think the problem is the note itself. I don't think I've ever played anything higher than the E-harmonic (12th fret) CLOSED on the E string.

Since the string is so thick and rubbery nothing is going to sound nice or fairly in-tune up there.

It also depends what kind of string you're using. You'd need an E string fairly stiff and super thin in gauge, something like Corelli. I don't think this would give the instrument proper fundamental though in the low range.

My advice? Play that same note on the A string (11th fret).
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Many basses have the "wolf" tone on the Ab, A or Bb up an octave on the A string. If your bass does too, try the eliminator on the A string.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

Perhaps a luthier can chime in on this but I've noticed that my wolf's were the same pitch as my neck's "tap-tone". Ie. I used to have a really awful wolf-note on the F# on the E string and on the A string. Whenever I would tap the back of the neck I would also hear an F# ring on the tailpiece. When I got my new compensated tailpiece made out of Koa the wolf's were completely gone.

But really, if your only wolf is up that high on the E string I wouldn't even be concerned.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2nd Ab on the E?

Quote:
When I play the Ab on my E string up an octave (the note that would be played on the 16th fret of a bass guitar) is surges - like a wobble. Is this what they call a wolf note?
Rich, why would you be playing the 2nd Ab on the E string?

I hit that note on occasion but with the size of my Basses, the A string looks a lot easier if I'm stuck in the 'Sky' playing across the strings.

Unless it's a rapid passage and if it is, who cares about a wolf or two?

Aren't they known for hunting in Packs?

Just one Wolf?

No Sheep?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

Aren't they known for hunting in Packs? Yes!

Just one Wolf? Could be 5 or more in a pack and as many as 15.

No Sheep?
Nope. The pack had to settle for leftovers again. : (

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thanks Calvin and Eric for your thoughts.
Kenny Boy, Down here (NZ) we use all the notes on the bass.
I was practising minor arpeggios when I found that mean ol' wolf. I hadn't gone out of my way to find it, I just needed it at that time.
(My old plywood does a similar thing on the A string Ab and, yes, I can do without it - after all, it's only one note.)
I was also playing notes around it - F, F sharp, G, A and they sounded fine. I actually use the E, F & G quite a lot, but not the A or above - although I sometimes play those high harmonics on the E string.

Hey Ken and Tim, I really enjoyed the wolf jokes! Who would have thought to compare a funny note to a mean ol' critter? I can see you two doing a sort of stand up thing, maybe with Smilie masks.
"Laaadies and gentlemeeeen, please welcome, all the way from yankeeee land.... put your hands together for the Smilie boys..... Kenny and Timmy!"
Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Thanks Calvin and Eric for your thoughts.
Kenny Boy, Down here (NZ) we use all the notes on the bass.
What method is most prevalent in New Zealand?? I'm a student of the Petracchi technique which in my opinion is the most thought out method of thumb position and no where does it suggest you play anything above the E harmonic on the E string. It's simply just not going to sound as good as on the A string and it will be less in tune.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
What method is most prevalent in New Zealand?? I'm a student of the Petracchi technique which in my opinion is the most thought out method of thumb position and no where does it suggest you play anything above the E harmonic on the E string. It's simply just not going to sound as good as on the A string and it will be less in tune.
Calvin, it's known as the Prowsie technique.
Nay, but seriously folks. I took some lessons from a guy called Harry Botham around 1979. He was ex principal of the NZSO and had played in the LSO. One of the first things he showed me was how a G major scale, that could be played in half and first position, could be just as easily played in thumb position - with the thumb on the octave harmonics.
My E string sounds great, and the notes don't seem hard to get in tune.
I must admit I've never heard of the Petracchi technique - for all I know it could be a method used to make sausage rolls.
Calvin, please feel free to enlighten me.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink ok.. but..

Quote:
Calvin, it's known as the Prowsie technique.
Nay, but seriously folks. I took some lessons from a guy called Harry Botham around 1979. He was ex principal of the NZSO and had played in the LSO. One of the first things he showed me was how a G major scale, that could be played in half and first position, could be just as easily played in thumb position - with the thumb on the octave harmonics.
My E string sounds great, and the notes don't seem hard to get in tune.
I must admit I've never heard of the Petracchi technique - for all I know it could be a method used to make sausage rolls.
Yes and you can play it up an octave on the E starting on the G near the end of the fingerboard but why? Who would ever want to hear music played up there so choked not to mention the strain on your back.

You know, you can also play standing on your head if you work at it long enough as well. As Calvin mentioned, playing above the E at the octave is nothing anyone wants to hear. I have seen jazz player play fast runs across thumb position from the G to the E but just short pizz show-off lines. Nothing musical about that and no hunting for pack wolves either and then complaining if they show up to feed after being baited. Play safe and play like the rest of the world on the notes as intened.. please..
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Not....

Quote:
Hey Ken and Tim, I really enjoyed the wolf jokes! Who would have thought to compare a funny note to a mean ol' critter?
"Mean ol' critter"??? Not. You should consider reading up on Wolves, Richard. I think you might be surprised what you might learn about them and in the process help dispel the misconceptions that surround them.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Play safe and play like the rest of the world on the notes as intened.. please..
Play safe? Like the rest of the world? Come on Ken, what happened to the pioneering spirit? I can bow those notes fine. You guys up there need to harden up.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
"Mean ol' critter"??? Not. You should consider reading up on Wolves, Richard. I think you might be surprised what you might learn about them and in the process help dispel the misconceptions that surround them.
There was a guy down here who was looking after a 'tame' tiger - the thing ate him in the end. I guess that's why they call tigers and wolves 'wild animals'. Oh, yes, your avatar is of a wolf.
Dances with wolves?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Close but no cigar. It's a thin orange book that's currently being used as my end-pin rest on wooden surfaces . As I said, it's a great method, but I don't have to enjoy it!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Junior Posting Member

Matthew Heintz is on a distinguished road
Default When is a wolf not a wolf?

Sometimes a wolf on an Ab isn't so much a wolf, as it doesn't result from the natural resonating frequency of the body but from the open G string. Try muting the G when you play Ab on E.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Heintz View Post
Sometimes a wolf on an Ab isn't so much a wolf, as it doesn't result from the natural resonating frequency of the body but from the open G string. Try muting the G when you play Ab on E.
This is correct.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Dances With Wolves?

Quote:
Dances with wolves?
It was a good movie. Not nearly as interesting as the real thing.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Heintz View Post
Thanks.
I'll try this.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
It was a good movie. Not nearly as interesting as the real thing.
Isn't a wolf just a skinny dog with a bad temper?