Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Carl Egbert is on a distinguished road
Default Another old bass ID...

http://imgur.com/a/Lbo0b

Any thoughts on what this bass might be? It has no label and no papers. It's being sold as a specific time period and a specific nationality, but I'll leave out what those are for now so as not to muddy the waters. Apologies for the poor photography, I have no idea what I'm doing as far as that's concerned. I can try to take some better ones, or photos of different parts of the bass, if that would help.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

It would be nice if you said what it is they are selling it as instead of keeping secrets.

This is the 3rd bass like this with that same carving in the back button which is distinctive. I think the other 2 were called French basses, maybe one was named and were dated to the 19th century, mid and latter part each.

What it actually is I don't know. They gears are not typical French but French-like, more so than German. And yes, the pics are not great but there is a possibility that this is German, but one of the nicer ones made to look French.

Only one of them did I see in person and I am no closer now to naming it as I was then.

So, what is it selling as? Measurements might be helpful as well, in inches.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

It's a very small bass; upper bouts are 19.5", lower are 26", body length is 42", Ribs are 8" at their deepest. It's selling as early 19th century French. The only bass from this time period I've ever really heard of is the Karr-Koussevitzky bass, which is actually fairly similar in pattern and size to this instrument. For reference: http://www.anderson-group.com/isb/im...itzky-bass.jpg
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Egbert View Post
It's a very small bass; upper bouts are 19.5", lower are 26", body length is 42", Ribs are 8" at their deepest. It's selling as early 19th century French. The only bass from this time period I've ever really heard of is the Karr-Koussevitzky bass, which is actually fairly similar in pattern and size to this instrument. For reference: http://www.anderson-group.com/isb/im...itzky-bass.jpg
Those two bass have nothing to do with each other in any way. The Karr/Kous. bass is cut down and possibly a composite. Some believe it is German. I have played it for a few minutes only. No one really knows what it is.

On the bass you listed, it is complete and un-altered, in a cello model shape with roundback. Once you have seen 100 or more old basses, your eyes will auto-re-adjust.

They might be correct on the origin or they could be wrong. Arnold Schnitzer had one in the shop not long ago, the exact same maker/model. Ask him, I would!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Interesting, I didn't know that the Karr-Koussevitzky bass was cut down.

I will send an email to Arnold. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Is that this bass? www.allthingsbass.com

Go to carved basses, 19th C. Purported Mirecourt.