Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default Passive playing

I've noticed that lately, I've been playing my bass in passive mode. I really just prefer the natural sound of the bass. I just pull the volume knob out and play. Ive had my bass for 6 years, and all of a sudden and i have a set bass eq which i normally play. But lately, I've just been going passive, or playing with the series/parallel switches. And I must say, I rather enjoy it. The natural sound is rather beautiful.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Junior Posting Member

danilo ninkovic is on a distinguished road

I think,playing Smith bass in pasive mode is not recommended for long time. Set bass eq on zero position,I think it's the same .
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo ninkovic View Post
I think,playing Smith bass in pasive mode is not recommended for long time. Set bass eq on zero position,I think it's the same .

Actually, if you compare the sounds, even with the bass EQ on flat, it still produces a different tone. I always thought playing in passive is a good thing, because you arent using the battery.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Actually, if you compare the sounds, even with the bass EQ on flat, it still produces a different tone. I always thought playing in passive is a good thing, because you arent using the battery.
The battery is engaged as soon as you plug the bass in. If the Volume DID released the battery, then you would hear a loud POP using the Volume switch from passive to active. It is the cable plugging into the Jack that activates the battery so it is always being drained, even if you cut the cord off and just put in an un-wired plug in there!

Passive playing has zero bleed thru from the circuit even if set all flat. The sound is probably 99% or so the same set flat but in passive, it is 100% by-passed.

Playing all passive is fine, forever with no problems if that's what you like. IF you wanna go only passive and never use the circuit, then take the batteries OUT of the bass. Then, pushing down the volume knob will be the same as an on-off stand-by switch.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Posting Member

Ronen Tat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Actually, if you compare the sounds, even with the bass EQ on flat, it still produces a different tone.
The difference you're hearing is probably just the preamp gain. You can adjust it to match passive to active (with all controls set flat) with a mini screwdriver.
On the older 9V version look for a little blue plastic cube on the Mid control board. On the newer 18V version it's even tinier, white color, on the main middle board.
If set properly you will not hear a difference.

As always, I could be wrong
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb PA Gain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen Tat View Post
The difference you're hearing is probably just the preamp gain. You can adjust it to match passive to active (with all controls set flat) with a mini screwdriver.
On the older 9V version look for a little blue plastic cube on the Mid control board. On the newer 18V version it's even tinier, white color, on the main middle board.
If set properly you will not hear a difference.

As always, I could be wrong
All basses shipped new from here have the volume matched between the passive and active modes without any gain added. If it is different between active and passive modes when set flat, it was changed after we shipped the bass.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Posting Member

Joshua Phelps is on a distinguished road
Default Passive mode

I like using the passive mode sometimes because it makes me appreciate the active that much more when I push that knob back down
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
All basses shipped new from here have the volume matched between the passive and active modes without any gain added. If it is different between active and passive modes when set flat, it was changed after we shipped the bass.
I guess that goes without saying...

By "properly" I meant the proper way to match volumes.
If one wants some gain boost when preamp engaged that's what it's there for.
No absolute proper way...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Phelps View Post
I like using the passive mode sometimes because it makes me appreciate the active that much more when I push that knob back down
I'm with you in that. After a while, I get unsed to the passive sound, then when I'm in the mood for a boost, I press it back down.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen Tat View Post
I guess that goes without saying...

I think what Ken is trying to say is that after it leaves his hands, someone else altered (tampered) with the factory settings. In other words, don't blame KSB if it's not as Ken described.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I think what Ken is trying to say is that after it leaves his hands, someone else altered (tampered) with the factory settings. In other words, don't blame KSB if it's not as Ken described.
I totally understand what Ken said. I wasn't blaming anyone for anything.
I was trying to say that it is most likely that the basses go out of the factory the way Ken described - therefore it goes without saying.
Please read all posts again. Maybe it's my bad English or maybe you just didn't get it right.
Peace.

Last edited by Ronen Tat; 10-06-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Posting Member

Franck Callebert is on a distinguished road

Passive tone = most all the gig (love the fat passsive tone of my smith)
Active tone = Chorus or slap time just for the pure boost you get when you engage the preamp
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Frederick Schurger is on a distinguished road
Default Dead Battery

One of my only pet peeves about active EQ is not quite knowing when the battery is on its last legs. I have another bass that has active EQ with no passive bypass, and without power, it's dead in the water. Sucks in the middle of a gig.

I did have a situation where the battery went dead in the middle of a gig (church service actually) where I was able to click it into passive, and back in the game. Pretty cool when you think about it. Found a battery, between the service and the concert that night, and none were the wiser.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Here are some options.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Schurger View Post
One of my only pet peeves about active EQ is not quite knowing when the battery is on its last legs....
I do a few things:

1. I date when I install a new battery (anywhere on or inside the back of the bass).

2. I unplug my cord from the bass when not in use (battery drains more otherwise).

3. I have an ****og Multimeter I use to test a battery at any given point along the journey.

While I have NEVER experienced a battery going bad while playing, clearly, having an Active/Passive Switch is a nice option. Otherwise, see 1, 2, and 3 above.