Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default RIP Peter Eibert.

I just received an Email about services for Peter Eibert who passed away Dec. 10th. he was 86-87 years old. Not exactly sure of his birth date but he was about 25 years older than me.

I first met him at Metropolitan Music, the Juzek warehouse in NY around 1971 when he was working there. Over the years he restored some basses of mine up at his shop in his house, north of NYC. More recently when I went back to playing in 2001, I bought my Batchelder bass from him as well as a bow he had made. Then I commissioned a bow from him of which I use almost every day. Now with this news I feel compelled to take the Eibert bow off the market and keep it forever. It is my main bow beside my Lipkins but I don't always take the Lipkins out on every rehearsal or job. He was a great and real Luthier in the true sense of the word. Having apprenticed from the age of 14 with Heinrich Lang in Nuremberg Germany from about 1940, during the 2nd war. He played violin in the Youth orchestra and when going to the Lang shop for a repair, he was intrigued with the work going on and was told to bring his father to get permission to apprentice at the shop. H. Lang was also the Guild master in Nuremberg. I believe P.Eibert became the foreman of the shop later on and amongst his duties were to prepare the other apprentices for the Guild test to get their certificate. Peter told me several stories including the day he took his test but from a different master because his own could not be the tester within the same shop. The current Violin industry rarely meets with people of the old school where you had to 'make' your own varnish and not use power tools. He was interesting to talk with every time we had met. A true master of the art.