Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Posting Member

Vince Jesse is on a distinguished road
Default cool new tool

Hi guys. Anyone use 'cello peg bushings to patch tuners holes in bass scrolls? I've found that it's real slick, especially when you're patching holes for the Rubner tapered metal spindles which are sized for a cello peg reamer. But sometimes the hole is too big or ragged for a cello peg reamer to clean up.

This came up for me again recently when I had to patch the holes in several scrolls. A U.S. outfit which I'll leave nameless decided to have some Rubner half plate tuner knock offs made in China. Anyone run into these yet? They're a disaster - the U shaped straps that hold the tuning key shaft to the plate is malformed and the tuners rattle.

Rob from Metropolitan music has generously agreed to make a custom 'cello peg bushing reamer under the Juzek tools line. The size is somewhat larger than a cello peg reamer and matches the 1/25 taper and size of a cello peg bushing.

Howard Core actually carries something they call a cello peg bushing reamer. The size is right but the taper is wrong - 1/17. So it's essentially smaller cello endpin reamer.

If anyone is interested the E.T.A. is sometime around the end of the year. Since he has to make batch of 5 or 6 in order to make it work I thought I would spread the word.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Vince, perhaps I am wrong but I seem to get a great fit using a cello endpin reamer with the boxwood bushings.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Posting Member

Default reamers

Well, as far as I know the commercially available boxwood cello peg bushings use a 1/25 taper. And as far as I know the most common commercial cello endpin reamers use a 1/17 taper. What brand of cello endpin reamer do you have? Have you measured the taper? If you can get cello peg bushings with a 1/17 taper please let me know where you get them.

They're may be some variation among the German makers and distributors of tools, i.e. Gewa, Gotz, Herdim, Aehnelt. Also, maybe the standards were different at one time. For example the Aehnelt brand reamer that Howard Core sells as a cello peg bushing reamer uses a 1/17 taper which doesn't match the bushings they currently sell.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Junior Posting Member

Andrea Spada is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrea Spada
Wink

"Rob from Metropolitan music has generously agreed to make a custom 'cello peg bushing reamer under the Juzek tools line. The size is somewhat larger than a cello peg reamer and matches the 1/25 taper and size of a cello peg bushing."

Wow, its really interesting! I'm struggling a lot with non-standard pegs. Can you tell me how can I get one reamer as your?

Cheers,
Andrea
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Posting Member

Default more on this.

The Metropolitan reamer project got bogged down but there's one more option: You CAN get a 1/17 taper commercially made boxwood bushing. It's marketed by the **** company and it's actually sized as a cello endpin bushing. International Violin sells those as well as larger 1/17 bass endpin bushings.(which are really handy) They may be a little big for a typical bass scroll repair but they would probably be good for patching an oversized hole from a hatpeg tuner spindle.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

that would be d i c k I'm guessing? :-)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Posting Member

Default Ha Ha!

Yes. I guess Ken's automated vice squad can't distinguish between a German woodworking supply company and an obscene term.

Now we can't be too careful when it comes to smut, but please remember: "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."