Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question 'C' Extension or not? Part II..

Ok, the Pollmann is gone and was sold as-is. Now I have another Bass with the same question. This one a nice Italian, cut down in 1937 and still a big 3/4 or small 7/8th with nice sloping shoulders. This is a professional Orchestral Bass. The only alteration to be concerned with is the 5/8th long extended Nut I made to shorten the string length and to correct the D-stop from in between an Eb and a D.

This is my Loveri we are talking about and on Jeff Bollbach's bench as I am writing this. I will also call Jeff to get his idea on this, being that it has the modified Nut I made for it which is not pictured on the website yet.

The Back has just been widened from the center (not pictured) to slightly overhang the Ribs which were barely flush before (as pictured). The 1/2" center strip is made from aged Peruvian Walnut that I've had in stock for over 15 years.

So, keep this as a regular 4-string or make it a full fledged professional Orchestral bass with a chromatic extension?