Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kraig Gregory is on a distinguished road
Question Are Ken Smith Basses heavy or is it just me?

Ken,

I have wondered for years why Ken Smith Basses (that I have played) are heavier than other basses with the same amount of strings. When you look at the body and the body shape, usually the Ken Smith is thinner and the shape is similar if not smaller to other high quality basses. I understand that Cocobolo and Ebony are heavier than ash and alder, but a 5 or 6 string smiths is usually 10-12 lbs, while a MTD, Fodera, or Pre-Gibson Tobias will weigh between 8.5-10 lbs. Is it all wood species, or is there a belief that heavier woods of the same species, make better tone woods?

To me an 10 lbs bass is comfortable, while an 11+ lb bass needs to be used in a rotation when performing longer sets.

Is there quality in weight quantity?

Kraig
Old 04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool weight..

We don't build them to make any specific weight. They are what the are.

No one is complaining and we are still back ordered after 28 years.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

While my Smith is not my lightest bass, it's not what I would call uncomfortable. It helps that Ken supplies a nice, thick, sheep skin lined strap with his basses. I've played with mine on for up to 7 hours straight with no comfort problems.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig Gregory View Post
Ken,

I have wondered for years why Ken Smith Basses (that I have played) are heavier than other basses with the same amount of strings. When you look at the body and the body shape, usually the Ken Smith is thinner and the shape is similar if not smaller to other high quality basses. I understand that Cocobolo and Ebony are heavier than ash and alder, but a 5 or 6 string smiths is usually 10-12 lbs, while a MTD, Fodera, or Pre-Gibson Tobias will weigh between 8.5-10 lbs. Is it all wood species, or is there a belief that heavier woods of the same species, make better tone woods?

To me an 10 lbs bass is comfortable, while an 11+ lb bass needs to be used in a rotation when performing longer sets.

Kraig

Kraig, I would suspect part of the difference may be in a % of retained moisture in the wood itself and the type of finish applied. As far as "quality in weight quantity".....I am a big fan of Cocobolo and Ebony. IMO these are among THE BEST sounding woods used and just happen to be the heavier, however, I have used other woods not as heavy but sound very close or in some cases as good as the heavier woods.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, if the bass feels great in my hands, plays and sounds great, and it's a bit on the "heavy side", ask me if I care.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-20-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Kraig, I would suspect part of the difference may be in a % of retained moisture in the wood itself and the type of finish applied. As far as "quality in weight quantity".....I am a big fan of Cocobolo and Ebony. IMO these are among THE BEST sounding woods used and just happen to be the heavier, however, I have used other woods not as heavy but sound very close or in some cases as good as the heavier woods.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, if the bass feels great in my hands, plays and sounds great, and it's a bit on the "heavy side", ask me if I care.
Ditto, Tim!

My Cocobolo beauty is heavier than what I played last, but, it sounds so good that...I don't care!!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yeah, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Ditto, Tim!

My Cocobolo beauty is heavier than what I played last, but, it sounds so good that...I don't care!!

Yeah, baby!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Heavy vs Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig Gregory View Post
Ken,

Kraig
Kraig, Understandably all bass players have different needs, but given the choice, Id rather have a heavy Ken Smith Bass, then to settle for a high priced bass that just doesn't give me the tone, range, and superb craftsmanship that's a given with Kens' creations. If the bass is too heavy buy a musicians stool.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

Yes, Smith Basses are heavy, that why I bought one of these-

http://www.comfortstrapp.com/

THE BEST strap I have ever used. Relieved my shoulder pain completely even on 4 hour gigs, however my back pain remains. No strap will relieve an aching back from that hanging weight. I get a burning sensation across the middle of my back, just below my shoulder blades. The heavier the bass, the worse it gets.

Heavy doesn't always mean good tone, tho. I recently had a very hi-end bass made for me that was in the 12lb. range. The body was 5A flame maple with Asian ebony on top. BEAUTIFUL- but the tone was, well.., blah. I even tried different p-ups. Just couldn't wake that thing up. So now it's gone, and I'm going back to Smith. My 1st Smith bass was just a simple BSR5M-A, ash body, and I've owned 3 other Smith 5's since, and it was probably the most responsive of them. And it was a light-weight. Wish I could get her back....

Chris
Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Stram is on a distinguished road

A musicians stool????!!?!?!?!

No real musician sits on stage while playing.

Thats an insult to the music.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Heavy?

The average Smith Bass is 9-10lbs. This is a 5-string Bass. 4s are less and 6s are more. I have seen 4-string Jazz basses in Baseball Bat Ash weighing over 12lbs. Now, That is what I call heavy. The exotic woods also can add weight so don't blame me, blame yourself for ordering it with Ebony, Bubinga and Cocobolo Tops!

How about those companies using solid Bubinga for a Body? That not only weighs half a ton, it kills the tone as well.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Blame you?

[quote=Ken Smith;6258]The average Smith Bass is 9-10lbs. This is a 5-string Bass. 4s are less and 6s are more. I have seen 4-string Jazz basses in Baseball Bat Ash weighing over 12lbs. Now, That is what I call heavy. The exotic woods also can add weight so don't blame me, blame yourself for ordering it with Ebony, Bubinga and Cocobolo Tops!

quote]

Well, I'll be the first to "blame myself" then. I'll take a Cocobolo top seven days a week and twice on Sunday! Oh, and go ahead and throw in the Ebony and Bubinga for all those other times.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stram View Post
A musicians stool????!!?!?!?!

No real musician sits on stage while playing.

Thats an insult to the music.

My music sounds the same regardless of whether I'm sitting or standing..

I broke my back when I was 19, so standing for very long periods is not what one would call "a good thing".. If playing a longer show, I'll have a stool set up just in case..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default MD7 Cocobolo front and back... super heavy :)

I have one of these rather heavy basses - but I love her so much. MD7. Her booty is wide - and she feels good

Seriously... When I play my 7-string smith on a gig - I generally split my time between standing and sitting. It is much easier to peform sitting, but sometimes I have to stand - especially for some solos - but other solos, I will sit.

I have no hard fast rules about it - I just do what I think will make the song happen.

I do tend to enjoy my ken smith sitting however - I guess father time is catching up with me . I think that most players get better performances sitting also - because the bass is balancing on you leg - and your fret hand is free ( or more free) to focus on just playing the intruments, vice balancing it.

The heavy cocobolo does produce a very unique sound - other smiths do not have that type of tone - is it better? debatable - but different - yes.

Other times however, I do prefer a light weight bass. Especially long gigs - so I have other basses for those gigs.

ok.. thats my two cents...
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Cody is on a distinguished road

I have always felt that a well balanced bass and good strap solves most weight issues
Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool I've always said....

Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post

Well, it's time to take up the offering, 'cuz you just preached the truth, Mr. Bishop!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ray C. Parrish is on a distinguished road
Default Much Prefer Heavier Basses!

I have always like heavy basses. The position of the neck just seems more stable especially when you are doing difficult lines that require you to change position quickly up and down the neck. Sounds a little corny, but it's true!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Posting Member

Jason Mendelson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson

Personally think my BMTE6G Fretted and BSRE6G Frettless are perfect weight...

The Frettless is lighter for some reason
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mendelson View Post
The Frettless is lighter for some reason
Less metal!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Posting Member

Jason Mendelson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson

hence the