Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default Smith Bass = Status Symbol?

Would you say that owning a Smith bass symbolizes status? Like how rich people have the cars and yachts, and how recording artist sell platinum records. Would you say that owning a Smith bass symbolizes a status level? Like you are good enough to have a bass of quality or that you are good enough and you can afford a high priced instrument? How would you look at it?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I would say it's more along the lines of having quality instruments for quality bassists.

Most people don't have a clue what a Smith bass is and they usually freak out when I tell them the price tag on mine. They are used to seeing $250 Squiers and tend to think every "guitar-style" instrument is at or near that.

I'm not rich by any stretch. I simply have a substantial portion of my life invested in playing bass. As such I feel I should have a quality instrument to play and express myself with.

You start on a pos instrument usually. Once you're committed to it and have gained sufficient skill, most people would tend to gravitate more toward higher quality instruments. I want an instrument to faithfully produce what I play, and not fight me while I'm playing it. Every lower end bass I've tried tends to fight me a bit. My Smith is almost effortless.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

The way I look at it is that if someone WANTED a status symbol type bass, they'd be better off looking elsewhere. That doesn't seem to me to be what a Smith bass is about.

Its more about well considered and functional design mated with superb craftsmanship. I've yet to see a Smith bass with anything as frivilous as inlays, LED's or custom body shapes (apart from Stanley Clarkes Flying V that is...).

The other great thing about Smiths is that they don't seem change significantly year to year and there aren't massive changes in product lines. So I haven't ever felt like my basses have become outdated.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Posting Member

I totally agree. I started off on a little beginner bass packed and God saw fit to elevate me throughout the years to better basses and now I have a Smith. But in a way it is a status symbol because when other bass players ask me what bass I play, and I tell them about my Smith, they automatically assume that I play on that world class level. It is a little ego thing too when i say I have a Smith. I am proud that I own one. You are correct though when you said Smiths arent made for status, but for craftmanship and sound. I bought my Smith because of the sound, the designs, and the clarity. Every note is perfectly even. There are no dead notes on my bass. And that is something that I have been trying to get through all my basses before that.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-07-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Posting Member

I bought mine because it seemed perfect. Perfect feel, perfect sound, perfect look. I truly think it would be hard for me to ever own another brand of bass.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.