Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default ****og synths and the like

Anybody here dig ****og synths? Hammonds? Rhodes?

I haven't played with them for a while and want to get back into it at some point.

Where on the web is there some intelligent ****og discussion these days?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

I have an L-100 in my back room that wheezes along -- needs oiling, some filter caps changed out, and probably a couple of new tubes -- and an old pump organ that I need to reglue the bellows, along with my grandmother's piano in the living room.

Try here:
http://www.organforum.com/forums/
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yes!

The keyboard player in Chevere, the Latin Jazz group I play in, uses ****og exclusively: B3, Rhodes, clavinet, mini mog, memory moog, rogue. I play next to him and the sound is the best, fat, soulful and full of color. A highly recommended experience!

I also did many sessions and concerts with Ken Nordine of Word Jazz fame. He had the whole Moog patch and play module setup, Arps, and other vintage gear lying around the studio, big part of his music production. Also, as a college student, I took an electronic music class where i used the modular Moog to recreate the big band Ellington/Strayhorne arrangement of Chelsea Bridge, one part at a time, bouncing back and forth to two track tape.

I have an old mini-moog needing repair that I have to do something with...it's been sitting around idle for 20 years. I performed a "music with synths" concert/clinic with it for 200 Chicago area schools in the 80's.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Because I don't play organ pedals well, and because I enjoy all things English, my favorite keyboard music is English organ music from the Restoration of the Monarchy to the end of the Georgian era. The organ in England developed quite differently from that on the continent, with longer keyboards descending below current CC, but practically no pedals until the end of the era, when builders switched over to what are now conventional keyboard compasses and pedal divisions after the "rediscovery" of Bach and the recitals of Mendelssohn and others. (Oversimplified, but, well....)

BTW: I have a complete rank of small to medium scale pedal bourdon pipes in my garage I'll give to a church for the write-off if anyone needs them to fix or expand an existing organ.