Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

Wayne Griffin is on a distinguished road
Default Akos Balazs

I've played guitars and synthesizers for 15 years and have always wanted to add real arco parts to my compositions so it's time to find an upright.

I'm looking for a 5 string 7/8 with 3/4 neck, preferably in the style of V Panormo.

I was intrigued with an instrument by Akos Balazs recently at Ron Sachs in Atlanta and would very much appreciate any information or opinions rendered.
Thanks very much, [w]
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 7/8 with 3/4 neck??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Griffin View Post
I've played guitars and synthesizers for 15 years and have always wanted to add real arco parts to my compositions so it's time to find an upright.

I'm looking for a 5 string 7/8 with 3/4 neck, preferably in the style of V Panormo.

I was intrigued with an instrument by Akos Balazs recently at Ron Sachs in Atlanta and would very much appreciate any information or opinions rendered.
Thanks very much, [w]
What exactly is "7/8 with 3/4 neck"? Are you talking about string length here? There are endless variables with necks and lengths combined.

You may have to custom order a bass with all the sizes you want or buy one you find if it fits your needs? That maker is one of the real Hungarian bass luthiers of our time. I think he makes a variety of models and custom basses as well. His work is supposed to be good but in my neck of the woods, basses get re-build over here even when new. It's all about concepts.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jan Szymanski is on a distinguished road

It's an old thread, hope my post may be useful anyway.
I custom ordered 4 years ago a 5-string from Akos, it is the Forster model. It's a big bass :
Length of back 114 cm.
String Length 105.5 cm.
Width of top bout 53.6 cm.
Width of 'C' 38 cm.
Width of Bottom Bout 69 cm
Maximum Depth of Ribs 24 cm
I received it 9 months later, beautiful instrument,very nicely built, and tremendous sound. I have always received compliments about the power and the rich deep tones of the bass in the orchestras in which I've played.

Last edited by Jan Szymanski; 01-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.