Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Kraig Gregory is on a distinguished road
Default Who am I??

Hi,

My name is Kraig. I live in the midwest where true Ken Smith's rarely end up. I have a love and a passion for basses and fine musical instruments. I use to collect basses and play them, but now I am down to my last 4 and 5 string instrument and I rarely get a chance to play due to my day job.

I still love the instrument and fell in love with the instruments built by Ken Smith, Michael Tobias, and Roger Sadowsky. My top five instruments that I have owned all time are:

1) 1961 Fender Jazz Bass Olympic White with 3 knobs (stock original)
2) MTD 535 5th Anniversary #3 of 5
3) 1993 or 1995 Ken Smith BMT Elite 5 G (Quilted Maple)
4) Sadowsky Standard 5 with AAAA Quilt Top
5) I have owned over 40 basses, so it is hard to pick the next one, but the top 4 were all special instruments.

If I ever get a chance, I would love to have my top three back, but they are long gone. If anyone knows where I can locate a BMT 5 let me know, I would definitely consider purchasing one in the future if I can find a fine example of a Ken Smith.

Anyway, I am happy that this forum was formed and I hope that the community grows to the point that we can all get a Ken Smith and Bass fix.

Kraig
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Wow, forty basses and a Ken Smith in the top three! I've only owned 3 bass guitars total and I still have all of them. I'm trying not to own more instruments than I can actually play. I don't have a KS yet, but I think I might be ready for one soon. I've kind of got my "ideal" bass in mind lately and Ken's basses are extremely consistent in the degree of quality of construction and sound. When you mention a "fine" Ken Smith, well some are a little fancier than others but "fine" describes all of them I've seen and played. You might keep tabs on the Atlanta Bass Gallery web site. They deal in new basses, but they also get a few very nice KS basses in on consignment sometimes. They have almost a dozen new Smith basses listed now, which is unusual but don't expect that to last long. In this area, if someone is selling a really nice bass, it is usually through consignment there.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Atlantic Bass Gallery

As far as New Smiths go, the Atlanta Bass Gallery is suppose to be selling locally. It is my understanding they are not to be selling mail order or otherwise.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-20-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Dealer Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
As far as New Smiths go, the Atlanta Bass Gallery is suppose to be selling locally. It is my understanding they are not to be selling mail order or otherwise.
While our Dealer Agreement asks they don't ship into other Dealers territories, we can't actually control that 100%. Also, if one mail orders a Bass, ALL service is thru that Dealer only if there is a problem and not us. In 'Local' areas where we do not have a stocking dealer in good standing, WE are the actual dealer as far as any type of mail order goes and full service along with it.

On USED Smith Basses, it's whatever they want to do as these are NOT our Basses as far as the dealership thing goes.

ABG is a very good dealer and we have not had any problems with them at all. In fact, they are one of our best dealers in the country serving the Atlanta area for over 3 years with new Smith Bass and Strings.