Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Default 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Folks,

I've convinced myself that, since I have an Eden amp (Traveler Plus) and look to get into another Eden amp soon that I should make sure my future cabinets run at 4 ohm, as to maximize the power and performance output of the amp (they seem to do their best at 4 & 2 ohm loads).

However, I admit that I don't know why someone would choose a 4 ohm cabinet over an 8 ohm, other than to match it up to the amp they already own, or plan to own.

Question: Why 4 ohm or 8 ohm, other than the reasons I've listed?

What are the major differences and advantages between the two? Educate me, Please!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Folks,

I've convinced myself that, since I have an Eden amp (Traveler Plus) and look to get into another Eden amp soon that I should make sure my future cabinets run at 4 ohm, as to maximize the power and performance output of the amp (they seem to do their best at 4 & 2 ohm loads).

The reason why the Cabs do their best at 4 or 2-Ohms is because you are getting the most efficient use of the Amp and the Cab as they were designed to deliver.

However, I admit that I don't know why someone would choose a 4 ohm cabinet over an 8 ohm, other than to match it up to the amp they already own, or plan to own.

What are the major differences and advantages between the two? Educate me, Please!

Ok, wow, I could really make this a long answer, however, I'll try and keep it concise:

Choosing the right Cab depends on the end result the player is seeking. If you are looking to push alot of air, then two Eden 8-Ohm 410 XLT's are going to push way more air than 1 Eden 4-Ohm 210XLT. The Amp is still delivering 500W+ at 4-Ohms, but you have more coverage with the 2 8-Ohm Cabs.

Check out Al's new rig: http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...7475#post74901

He has a 410XLT and a 115XLT. Both are 8-Ohm Cabs. These two Cabs will draw 500W+ from the WT-550 at 4-Ohms (i.e. 2 8-Ohm Cabs. = a 4-Ohm load against the amp). This is a great set-up and most likely meets his needs.

Now, if Al would have opted for, say, one 4-Ohm 210XLT, he'll still get the 500W+ from the Amp, but guess what; no way he'll push as much air. Doesn't mean the 4-Ohm 210XLT is inferior, just means the 4-Ohm 210XLT would make more since used in a smaller setting.

Or, hey, how bout this one: One 4-Ohm 210XLT + one 4-Ohm 410XLT. Now you'll draw the 750W+ from the WT-550 at 2-Ohms and that may be all you'll ever need. Or will it? This set-up still won't push as much air as 4 8-Ohm 410XLT's, but maybe you won't ever need to cover that much area with 4 8-Ohm 410XLT's. Or will you? LOL!

I could've picked any combination of 4 or 8-Ohm Cabs depending on what I know I want to hear from a particular speaker and Cab design. Yeah, Cab design; but that's another topic. 8, 10's, 15's, 18's, etc. inch speakers have different frequency responses. Yeah, that's also another topic.

Bottom line, you need to decide how much air your want to push; you need to know what you want to hear from your speakers within the optimal Cab design. David Eden understands this and this is why I choose Eden Cabs.

Pick your speaker configuration and Cabs wisely and know the Amp you are using to drive them.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 11-15-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Hope this helps some.
Tim, it actually helps a lot! I was thinking "in the ballpark" and you confirmed some things right off, while giving me a littel "Ohm" education at the same time. Much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Junior Posting Member

Scott Reed is on a distinguished road

You may also want to consider a stereo (or bi-amp) head. They may give you little more flexibility in tone and configurations. With my WT-500, I can run 2 x 4ohm cabs in stereo mode and maintain a 4ohm load (on each channel). If I put it in Bridged Mono Mode, it puts out 600 watts/8 ohms and it "requires" an 8 ohm load. If I ever intended to run more then 1 cabinet, I would have gotten the WT-800.

From my experience (horror story)... Just because a company issues a 2 ohm spec, that doesn't mean you should actually try to run it at 2 ohms for an length of time =)
Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Reed View Post
You may also want to consider a stereo (or bi-amp) head. They may give you little more flexibility in tone and configurations. With my WT-500, I can run 2 x 4ohm cabs in stereo mode and maintain a 4ohm load (on each channel). If I put it in Bridged Mono Mode, it puts out 600 watts/8 ohms and it "requires" an 8 ohm load. If I ever intended to run more then 1 cabinet, I would have gotten the WT-800.

From my experience (horror story)... Just because a company issues a 2 ohm spec, that doesn't mean you should actually try to run it at 2 ohms for an length of time =)

Great information, Scott! Thank you.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Reed View Post
Just for the record, so there are no assumptions made going forward. If Eden makes a head that states it can handle a 2-Ohm load; It will handle a 2-Ohm load. The WT-550 is a great example of this. While I would be totally comfortable driving this amp at 2-Ohms, I choose using an Eden D210XST(4) with a D410XLT(8) or D212XLT(8) simply because it is all I need with the 550. I find these combinations to be a great match and only drawing 2.67 from the amp.

Also.......

Certainly not suggesting you fall into this group Scott, so please don't take this personally as this is NOT my intent, however, more times than not, it is the end-user that creates their own "horror story" simply because they don't know how to utilize the tools they have.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 12-02-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Folks,

Big Brother have you decided on the direction your heading in? XLT or XST 4 or 8 ohms? I'd recommend going to your Bass Shop of choice that carries the Eden brand and play your Smith through a variety of cabs and heads until you ultimately make up your mind, Just a suggestion.