Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Junior Posting Member

Randy Rodncal is on a distinguished road
Red face Low B vs. speaker size

Recently purchased a Smith 5 string neck thru. What speaker size should I consider to optimize the low B? Also picked up an Eden WT800B. Like the modular stack and am considering the Eden 210xst over 112,212, or 115,215. Which would sound best with my Smith and amp? Which ohm cabs? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool 210?

It's not necessarily about "what speaker size" to get, as it is more about the speaker and cabinet design/construction.....

If you are looking for a 210, absolutely get the Eden 210XST. Why? Because the frequency response of this little Cab is broader with accentuated low-end response and it kicks!!!

With the 800B, you will get 880W+ in bridged mono. I would suggest you stick with the 8-Ohm Cabs for this reason. With 8-Ohm Cabs you have the flexibility to add more 8-Ohm Cabs without running the amp into it's minimum load rating quicker with fewer 4-Ohm Cabs. When you have the flexibility to run more Cabs, you can push way more air and get way more coverage if and when you need it. I personally wouldn't settle for anything less than having that flexibility.

Remember, it's not the Watts that give you the coverage, it is the right set-up of Cabs. You put a 210XST(8) and a 410XLT(8) bridged out of that 800B and you will be way more than impressed with what you hear, I gaaroantee!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 02-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default 8Ohm question ?

Tim,

if TWO 8 Ohmn cabinets = 4 Ohmns and you add another cabinet the impedence drops to 2.67.

What happens if a FOURTH 8 ohmn cabinet is added? Will the impedence drop to 2 Ohmns or go below the 2 Ohmn?

Some amps drop down to 2 Ohmn.

Ive always wonder about this - and never experimented with my own gear - gear is too expensive.

BTW - I generally use 8 Ohmn cabinets. I agree with your view of Eden cabinets - they sound good by themselves - and better with more than one. Nice bass response.

Eden does not use Neo speaker/drivers???

So the weight is not light other companies are using -- a factor for gigging musicians. Most of the Neo-Driver cabinets sound thin when compared to an Eden Cabs IMO (at least that is my observation in the music stores).

I performed with my 6-string Ken Smith bass last night - with ONE 4x10 and 1x15 cabinet. Both where 8 Ohmn. worked out perfectly in covering the entire freq spectrum.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Impedence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Tim,

if TWO 8 Ohmn cabinets = 4 Ohmns and you add another cabinet the impedence drops to 2.67.

What happens if a FOURTH 8 ohmn cabinet is added? Will the impedence drop to 2 Ohmns or go below the 2 Ohmn?

Not exactly, but in most cases, yes.

Actually....

4 8-Ohm Cabs running parallel = 2-Ohm load on the Amp. 4 8-Ohm Cabs running in series = 32-Ohm load. Just make sure you know the Cab rating. And make sure you know your Amp and what it was designed to handle! Otherwise, NOT GOOD........NOT GOOD = Release of "Majic Smoke" from Amp!!!

Yes, some Amps are designed to handle a 2-Ohm load. Many aren't.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 02-02-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Smile That's My Rig

Quote:
Tim,

Ive always wonder about this - and never experimented with my own gear - gear is too expensive.

BTW - I generally use 8 Ohmn cabinets. I agree with your view of Eden cabinets - they sound good by themselves - and better with more than one. Nice bass response.

Eden does not use Neo speaker/drivers???

So the weight is not light other companies are using -- a factor for gigging musicians. Most of the Neo-Driver cabinets sound thin when compared to an Eden Cabs IMO (at least that is my observation in the music stores).

I performed with my 6-string Ken Smith bass last night - with ONE 4x10 and 1x15 cabinet. Both where 8 Ohmn. worked out perfectly in covering the entire freq spectrum.
Christopher, my brother you performed with the rig I use, that's good info as I am currently in the process of looking for a good used 6 string Smith and had pondered how the 410XLT and 115XL would sound with the 6 string.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Posting Member

Default Cabs

Albert,

Not so fast .

I use a Bag End 4x10 with a Nahas 1x15. Both are 8 Ohmn.

I do like the DE cabs a lot. They all sound great, however the 4x10 is a heavy cab. You cannot beat the tone of it of the 4x10XLT. The 2x10XLT nice, but I do not have one -- accepting donations if anyone is interested in providing me with a free cabinet.

New topic... I just got a line on a 1993 Ken Smith 5-string Elite for sale. -bassgear.com
Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 1993 Smith

Quote:
Albert,

Not so fast .

I use a Bag End 4x10 with a Nahas 1x15. Both are 8 Ohmn.

I do like the DE cabs a lot. They all sound great, however the 4x10 is a heavy cab. You cannot beat the tone of it of the 4x10XLT. The 2x10XLT nice, but I do not have one -- accepting donations if anyone is interested in providing me with a free cabinet.

New topic... I just got a line on a 1993 Ken Smith 5-string Elite for sale. -bassgear.com
You have to be careful with allot of the used Smith's I purchased one off of eBay and wound up having ken resurrect the instrument in order to even make it playable, I sold it about 6 months later. The next 6 I get I'll buy off of Tim he keeps his Axes in impeccable condition.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Posting Member

Default Good Point!

Albert,

Good Point. Ebay can be tricky - buyer beware!

Now -- back to the 8 Ohmn topic
( I am playing my MD7 now - home shedding with Spain!)
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Low B vs speaker size

I neglected to mention that I only play small clubs and weddings, so I don't need to move alot of air. More important to me is tone clarity and ease of transport. Can I get that with any cab smaller than a 410 to compliment the 210xst? If not, how would a 410xst work out? Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Small clubs...

Sorry, I'm confused; need more info. Do you already have a 210XST(8) or 210XST(4) and looking to add to it???

If you are doing small clubs (not sure what you consider small clubs and do you run DI to FOH???) and weddings and would NEVER want to utilize multiple Cabs; get the 210XST(4) and be done. Problem I have with this? The 800B is way too much amp for one 210XST(4 or 8 Ohm) Cab. Or, IF I were going to run just one Cab with the 800B (btw: not a chance), I'd get the 410XLT(4). Otherwise, I'm running the 210XST(8) and 410XLT(8) Bridged.

If you are going to just play small clubs and already have a 210XST(8), add a 210XLT(8) and call it a day. This way you will have the option of running one or both Cabs bridged and have tone and headroom to spare. Plus, you have portability options.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 02-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks for the advice! Should I totally forget the 210/12 or 15 stack? Don't have a 210xst but am shopping ??? Will running it alone with the 800b do any damage? Have a 410xst(8) available. Rated at 1000 watts, would it be better than the 210xlt/210xst stack?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljimador View Post
Thanks for the advice! Should I totally forget the 210/12 or 15 stack? Don't have a 210xst but am shopping ??? Will running it alone with the 800b do any damage? Have a 410xst(8) available. Rated at 1000 watts, would it be better than the 210xlt/210xst stack?
Only you can decide what Speaker Cab to choose (i.e. 112, 212, 115, 215, etc). Each have their own sound and most every room is different, requiring a different set-up. So, if you have the option to also run DI to FOH, then you'll also have a better option as to what you choose to set-up on stage.

Running a 210XLT or 210XST (8 or 4 Ohm) will not damage the 800B. However, like I said before, that's a waste of Amp for one 210 Cab.

If you choose the 410XST(8), get a 210XLT(8) to compliment it. This will also be one KICKIN set-up running bridged out of the 800B!
"Would it be better than the 210XLT/210XST stack"?...If you want portability as you stated, then No, it would not be better. Again, a 210XLT(8) and 210XST(8) will give you portability and one KICKIN set-up running bridged out of the 800B.

For me, I prefer running Bridged Mono, however, if you don't choose to run Bridged Mono, you can opt to run Dual Mono out of the 800B as well. Make sure you know your Amp and Cabs!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 02-07-2008 at 08:38 AM.