Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Ken M here are a few more shots from Elgars book since you don't have it any more. The "Lemur" bass and a nice cornerless attributed to Giovanni Dodi, Modena 1853.

Its interesting to see the inside; the linings are kerfed like a geetar. And check the size of the neck block!

Hey I just noticed that the "Dodi" looks a bit like the "Testore" in that little pic on your site. Could it be the same bass taken from a different angle??? That lower bout shape looks almost identical. The neck block area looks a bit different - it could just be the camera angle ... or p'raps its been cut down ... do you have a better colour picture??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guit1.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	147  Click image for larger version

Name:	guit2.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	148  Click image for larger version

Name:	dodi.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	149  

Last edited by Matthew Tucker; 03-25-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Thanks Matthew.

I knew I should have used kerfed linings, it would have been easier, I almost did. That upper block is massive.

The bass attributed to Testore on my site looks a little different than that Dodi. Have a look side by side. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbasspage4.html

I don't have a bigger photo of the Testore, wish I did.

I like that Dodi, especially the bold arching.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Testore, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Ken M here are a few more shots from Elgars book since you don't have it any more. The "Lemur" bass and a nice cornerless attributed to Giovanni Dodi, Modena 1853.

Its interesting to see the inside; the linings are kerfed like a geetar. And check the size of the neck block!

Hey I just noticed that the "Dodi" looks a bit like the "Testore" in that little pic on your site. Could it be the same bass taken from a different angle??? That lower bout shape looks almost identical. The neck block area looks a bit different - it could just be the camera angle ... or p'raps its been cut down ... do you have a better colour picture??
At this time I doubt that the Cornerless Basses we have looked at were made by either Testore, Ruggeri or even Storioni. The work of these Basses look nothing like their 'known' work so attributing it to them may be a bit careless or a dream at best.

The Elgar Storioni in the Milan Museum I was told is NOT a Storioni. This has caused many people to use this name for almost anything Italian with the Guitar shape.

Also in the Elgar book are three 19th century makers known for Guitar shaped Basses. These are Dodi, Boccaccini, and Baldentoni. None of them from Cremona or Milan. Many Spanish Basses are of Guitar shape as well but again, mainly from the 19th century.

I will be taking my Bass down to the Kimmel Center to be photographed and looked over by Duane Rosengard sometime next month. I would just as likely assume that Boccaccini made my Bass if not a great Spaniard maker sometime in the early 19th century as I would believe the attribution to Storioni by the previous owner. I listed it like that mainly in respect for the widow of Riccardi as a memorial type thing as that is what the Bass was mainly called. In other circles it is known as 'The Riccardi Bass' with no other attribution.

I have played only two other Basses I can recall with the type of sound that my Bass has. One is an attributed Seraphin and the other attributed to Maggini, both large Violin cornered Basses. What ever my Bass is, the maker is one of great skill in both workmanship and tone as far as this Bass goes. Having played all three Basses mentioned above, I prefer both the playability and tone of my Bass. If it had been of Violin shape, It would have been priced up there with the other two Basses and out of my reach. Lucky me!..lol
Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

Where was the photo of the "testore" from?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb from..

Quote:
Where was the photo of the "testore" from?
From the String Emporium website, upper right corner. I recall him referring to that as his 'Moccha' (ala chocolate) name. I don't recall it ever being referred to as a Testore Bass. Testore is another name attached to old Italian Basses that are crude and usual or for lack of another name to call it by.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Posting Member

Steven Koscica wrote me back when I email him about it saying:

"Sorry, but I don't have any measurements on that bass. Sold it about 7-8 years ago. It was my own personal orchestra bass. It was attributed to Testore, but it had a Tarantino head I know. It was a great bass!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

Ken on the latest pic of your top with the ffs taped on, it looks like you have the left hand one upside-down. The da Salo ffs are not symmetrical, the inside sweep of the S shape is much more bulbous on the lower curve. To me it looks like you have the more runcible curve at the top of the ff, making the thing look top-heavy and out of balance with the generous lower bout.

Last edited by Matthew Tucker; 03-26-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Ken on the latest pic of your top with the ffs taped on, it looks like you have the left hand one upside-down. The da Salo ffs are not symmetrical, the inside sweep of the S shape is much more bulbous on the lower curve. To me it looks like you have the more runcible curve at the top of the ff, making the thing look top-heavy and out of balance with the generous lower bout.

Good eye, they weren't taped on very well. I fixed it now. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbasspage6
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Good eye, they weren't taped on very well. I fixed it now. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbasspage6
This one looks similar to my Bass as it was once attributed to d'Salo erroneously of course. The shape is very similar as well as the varnish color but just wrong century.

The other one questioned to me looks more Testoreish. The Milanese were know for making instrument without Purfling to save time and money. Even the Scrolls were left half made. This lack of Purfling for cheaper instruments was also copied by the Germans and the English from the 18th - 19th century.

The Scroll work on my Bass being somewhere in between the two but totally an individual idea.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Spanish Makers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The only two countries I know of that have ever produced Guitar shaped basses was either Italy or Spain with Italy being the originator but parts of Italy were under Spanish rule at one time. Many old Spanish makers are of Italian dissent as well and many or then Violin makers there copied mainly Strad, Guadagnini, and some Gagliano. I looked thru a Spanish Makers book yesterday at Biase's and he pointed out all these great Spanish makers and how Italian looking the fiddles were.
Ok, on this Spanish Violin Book I mentioned, the Author is 'Ramon Pinto Comas'. I was told the other day to buy this book by him as he was also one of the foremost authorities on Spanish Basses as well. This information came from Duane Rosengard. As we were on the Phone discussing this and both surfing the 'Net at the same time we found that he has a Website. I understand he speaks Spanish and French at least but not certain if he speaks any English at all. Duane took pictures of my Cornerless Bass about 2 weeks ago (along with the Gilkes) and asked if he could send some pictures to him on my behalf and of course I said Yes to that. Then I started typing an Email to the Author in Spain letting him know about this Bass with a link to my Webpage and that better pictures would be sent to him asap from Rosengard who just happens to be a friend of his. Duane knows just about everyone worldwide and has a memory that is unbelievable.

Duane thinks this Bass of mine might very well be Spanish as the Scroll fits that Profile being only influenced by Italy but more of a Spanish flair than Italian as far as the Pegbox goes. He pointed out that the Brescian Scrolls have points on the Cheeks like the d'Salos do. I had also heard that Tom Martin looking at pics sometime ago also mentioned it looked Spanish. The Top is made from extremely fine grained Violin grade Spruce or Fir but the detail work throughout is that of a very fine maker considered to be above the average Italian that made Cornerless Basses and easily over the Spanish we have seen. Perhaps some Spaniard that trained in Italy or an Italian the moved to Spain who had exceptional skills made this fine Bass with a sound to rival most great Basses as well as its own beauty.

On the Brescian thing Duane reminded me that he is one of the organizers of the upcoming Brescian Expo in Italy starting in June this year for a month. Also, it will be a once in a lifetime viewing of several d'Salo and Maggini Basses that will may never may again in the same room. I did see a link but can't find it now. At this time, I don't know if I can get away to go.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the Brescian thing Duane reminded me that he is one of the organizers of the upcoming Brescian Expo in Italy starting in June this year for a month. Also, it will be a once in a lifetime viewing of several d'Salo and Maggini Basses that will may never may again in the same room. I did see a link but can't find it now. At this time, I don't know if I can get away to go.
do you mean this:
http://www.giopaolomaggini.com/
?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Yessssss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post

Yes, and thx for finding the link. This is what they have listed so far to be on show there; http://www.giopaolomaggini.com/w/en/...ments-on-show/
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Brescian Scroll..

And this is the Brescian Scroll style I was talking about that my Cornerless Bass doesn't have;

As listed for the expo are 3 more Maggini Basses (5 total) and the Dragonetti d'Salo as well which will be brought out still in its 3-string get-up as pictured in Elgar and Pio.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:

At this time, I don't know if I can get away to go.
ha, 90 minute flight for me, ken, if we meet there , we will drink some vino together, ok?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
i know it´s off topic (but can maggini be offtopic?)
the exhibition is over, there are some pics and videos http://www.giopaolomaggini.com/w/cat/english/photos/
on their website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-mostra-liuteria.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	287  Click image for larger version

Name:	14-mostra-liuteria.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	288  
Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Topic?

Quote:
i know it´s off topic (but can maggini be offtopic?)
the exhibition is over, there are some pics and videos http://www.giopaolomaggini.com/w/cat/english/photos/
on their website
Well actually one of those Maggini's belongs to the Asst. Principal of the National Symphony in Washington DC. While that Bass was there on Display in Brescia, he was borrowing my Cornerless Bass and sharing it with the Principal who is actually returning it today.

Does the Maggini post belong here? Well seeing as I have this added and connected story, it fits right in. I am sure that when the Bass is fully restored it will go right back to Washington for them to try again as they both loved playing it these past 7 weeks since it was picked up at my office by the Principal.

The small Bass called the 'Dumas' Maggini was on sale in 1971 when I was out on tour passing thru Chicago. I almost bought it but didn't have the money.. Small detail..lol

The Maggini Bass from DC/MD (National Symphony) I will get to play one day as I have an open invitation now after loaning out my Cornerless Bass to them.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Cornerless for Jazz..

Last night for the first time I used my Cornerless Bass (Attr. Storioni) on a fairly long Jazz gig. It was just a Duo with Piano. Normally I would use my Bisiach 'labeled' Bass as it's kind of a do-all type Bass and fitted for a Pickup as well.

I received a call from a friend about a week ago about an unveiling of a Mosaic of the Riccardi Bass made by an Artist that is the wife of one of Riccardi's former Students. To be respectful, I brought the Bass to the ceremony and placed it beside the Mosaic for all to take pictures and see them side by side. I believe the Mosiac was made from the photos on my website as it doesn't show the C-extension that is in all the pictures of Riccardi playing the Bass. I removed it because I used the Ebony Chromatic type and not the mechanical version.

Anyway, to avoid carrying two Basses from my house on a 2-hour trip and then back to Philly for a 5 hour gig (yes, we play five(5) 45 min. sets with 15 min. breaks.. a long haul), I put my old trusty 1970s AKG mic wrapped in foam inside the Bridge feet like back in the old Studio days.

This Bass sounded so fat that when my son came in to listen from behind a wall where he couldn't see me, he thought I had brought a much bigger Bass as the further away you get in a room, the louder that Bass is acoustically. The Mic was only used for a little presence so that the piano player could hear my notes. He could feel the Bass, but couldn't hear it being so close.

With the Bass strung with regular Flexocor and a Stark Flex 'E', my son Jon said it sounded like Ray Brown's Bass, attack wise! I know the Bass is a top class bowing-orchestral Bass but until last night I had never tested its Jazz capabilities.

By the way, this Bass still has to go into restoration for about a year long overhaul. I wonder if it could sound even better? That is scary. There were several Bassists at the Riccardi Memorial and all of them had stories to tell about that Bass. It was fun watching them line up to try it once again as it had been awhile since any of them had seen or played that Bass.

I hope to be getting some Jpegs sent to me soon of the Mosaic as well as some photos of Riccardi playing the Bass. I will then put together a memorial page for him linked from the Cornerless Bass's page for all to see.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Ermanno Ferrari

Has any one ever seen Ermanno Ferrari with his Cornerless Bass or have some pictures to share with us? I have been told in a copy of a letter that he bought a Bass by Spanish maker J.Guillami from Gary Karr some years ago.

All I have found so far on the web is this; http://www.yamamoto-bass.com/cd/ferrari/ferrari.html

Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Posting Member

Ken,

Good story!
Did you notice the string length being a problem as compared to your others. Do you think the string length has anything to do with it's attack? Are you still planning to make it shorter?

My cornerless bass project is in plastic wrap while I set up 60 violins for local students. I will get back at it after the busy season.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool shorten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Ken,

Good story!
Did you notice the string length being a problem as compared to your others. Do you think the string length has anything to do with it's attack? Are you still planning to make it shorter?

My cornerless bass project is in plastic wrap while I set up 60 violins for local students. I will get back at it after the busy season.
Yes, I still have that plan in my head. This is an expensive Bass. I have to make sure it is playable for the average Orchestra pro should I decide to sell it down the road.

I have used a small piece of wood under the strings to assimilate a shorter string length and see how it might affect the sound. The most noticeable difference was the left hand stretch. The tone didn't seem to change all that much. Slightly tighter if anything. The organ like bottom is 2x the thickness I am used to so loosing a little of that and adding some punch would be an acceptable trade-off.

I think it should be made to a 42" length if not a hair shorter.