Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Philip Watson is on a distinguished road
Default Wenzel Wilfer

I'm trying to find the value of this bass. I've attached some pics. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	2000  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	2001  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	2002  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	2003  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Wbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Watson View Post
I'm trying to find the value of this bass. I've attached some pics. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Phil
He/They supplied basses to the 'Juzek company' in New York as well as 'Vitali Import company' back then and maybe some other wholesalers in USA.

The Gamba model in 1965 with plain type maple was $200. from Juzek. The Violin model was slightly higher. They made 3 or 4 grades sold by model or Figure in the woods. The top 3/4 was $850 and 7/8 was $900. That was as high as the Juzeks went which WERE Wenzel Wilfer basses. I bout the top 3/4 in late '71 or early '72 and it still had the Wilfer label. That bass was in the Juzek warehouse since at least 1966 or earlier as I had my eyes on that bass for years. There were a few others still in stock as well, one engraves WBW in script on the back, a top model 7/8.

Value now? Well, these are shop/factory type basses and when or if they crack (mine recently cracked after being here 40 years up the bassbar and soundpost areas, end to end) the restoration will cost more than the bass's worth.

Still, I see Juzek labeled Wilfer basses selling for about 10x what I think they are worth but who cares what I think. Sell or price the bass according to similar vintage/model/wood/condition basses from Juzek as it is the same exact bass. Maybe without of the Juzek Label it is worth less on the market but that is just stupidity from the false reputation that Juzek has earned here as Wilfer was always the maker and Juzek never made a bass in his life. In fact, other than a few early instruments (not basses) all the Juzek violins-thru basses were shop/factory made imports. Some of the Violins were nice but the basses had to be made by one of the few area bass specialty shops, Wilfer. After WWII, the Wilfers, Hofners and Framus's all relocated to Bubenreuth from the Czech side of the East German border.

More reading here.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

looking at pic 1-3 i would say: new chinese bass (esp.pic 1, never german 1957)
looking at pic 4 i would say: he would not write this in english in 1957
the model looks not like a typical wilfer imho
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
looking at pic 1-3 i would say: new chinese bass (esp.pic 1, never german 1957)
looking at pic 4 i would say: he would not write this in english in 1957
the model looks not like a typical wilfer imho
Yes, the 'made in' English writing is NOT from Wilfer. My bass didn't have a date on it either or any other inked writing. The finish on this bass looks different than the German Wilfers I have seen as well. The bass looks re-finished on that Back and maybe the Top. Chinese? I need to see the bass in person. The pictures are not good enough. Scroll/machine pics maybe?

On the Model, my Wilfer was a 3/4 violin model not far from the shape of this one. Maybe I can get my friend who still has my old bass to send me some pictures of it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Junior Posting Member

Philip Watson is on a distinguished road

My friend ( now deceased ) bought this in NY in the mid to 70's. It has not been refinished under his ownership. Whether or not it was before, I don't know. So, "new Chinese".... NO. The finish is excellent because he took such great care of it. He performed with 2 other basses. This one didn't "get out much."
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Watson View Post
My friend ( now deceased ) bought this in NY in the mid to 70's. It has not been refinished under his ownership. Whether or not it was before, I don't know. So, "new Chinese".... NO. The finish is excellent because he took such great care of it. He performed with 2 other basses. This one didn't "get out much."
hi philip, i was talking about what i see on your pictures.